Options

What became of the families of the disciples who followed Jesus?

Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
Forum Member
✭✭
At the risk of being accused of "Christian bashing" I thought I'd ask what people thought. Most of them must have had wives and children. I don't think there were many unmarried adults around then so how did their wives and children survive when their men folk went off to follow Jesus. It's all very well being a fisher of men but does it pay the rent?

Did perhaps the disciples take their whole families with them creating a whole entourage of followers?

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    They all went on benefits and got big houses in the middle of Jerusalem with wide screen frescos.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they were put to death.
  • Options
    tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the same as the families of the men who follow Cowdenbeath

A life of poverty, misery and torture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see, I think this is a perfectly valid question but I suspect some people will avoid it and use the excuse that they see it as a dig.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were spirited away in the night and offered up as sacrifices to this new fangled 'God' chap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the same as the families of the men who follow Cowdenbeath

A life of poverty, misery and torture.

Who was Cowdenbeath? Another prophet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was Cowdenbeath? Another prophet?

I doubt they have made a profit in years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of being accused of "Christian bashing" I thought I'd ask what people thought. Most of them must have had wives and children. I don't think there were many unmarried adults around then so how did their wives and children survive when their men folk went off to follow Jesus. It's all very well being a fisher of men but does it pay the rent?

Did perhaps the disciples take their whole families with them creating a whole entourage of followers?

They gave up everything to follow christ.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Jesus ate them, he was after all a Zombie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus ate them, he was after all a Zombie.

He was only a zombie for 3 days. The disciples followed him around for a couple of years.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what happened to the families of the followers (assuming they all had families, but tradition dictates all the 12 followers met with grisly deaths.
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably they were all fictitious characters used as the basis of a morality play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was only a zombie for 3 days. The disciples followed him around for a couple of years.

Looking at the devastation left by 28 days later I don't think 3 days for a few disciple relatives would be too arduous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindee wrote: »
    Probably they were all fictitious characters used as the basis of a morality play.

I think these ones, were at least real. perhaps a lot of people in the bible were not. But I'm pretty sure that the deciples existed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They gave up everything to follow christ.

Who did? The disciples or their families? If the disciples gave up their families to follow Jesus then what stopped their families from starving or falling into poverty because their husbands had gone away?
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    They all went on benefits and got big houses in the middle of Jerusalem with wide screen frescos.

I believe some of them fleeced the taxpayer so much they had enough for a couple of weeks a year sunning themselves and swimming with dolphins in Eilat :eek: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who did? The disciples or their families? If the disciples gave up their families to follow Jesus then what stopped their families from starving or falling into poverty because their husbands had gone away?

I don't know. People didn't live very long in these days, maybe they died of naturual cuases. or maybe that's just what Jesus told everyone. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I'm not sure what happened to the families of the followers (assuming they all had families, but tradition dictates all the 12 followers met with grisly deaths.

Considering the times I think it highly likely that most of them will have had families and dependants. They were all strong young men who would have been prime working units and probably the main bread winner in what was probably a large extended family. They would have been very economicaly valuable to their family and I wonder how the families coped without them. It must have put them at a great disadvantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not worry OP about baiting as I dont think anyone on here is a Christian, are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not worry OP about baiting as I dont think anyone on here is a Christian, are they?

I am. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The families did not travel with them. perhaps jesus gave each of them a magic bag of grain to give to their families, which would replenish itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the times I think it highly likely that most of them will have had families and dependants. They were all strong young men who would have been prime working units and probably the main bread winner in what was probably a large extended family. They would have been very economicaly valuable to their family and I wonder how the families coped without them. It must have put them at a great disadvantage.

I admit it's highly likely but i;m not good enough a theologian to know for sure. Heck I can't even remember all twelve of their names. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I am. :)

Yes but you dont believe in an invisible God that can listen to our thoughts and made the universe though?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but you dont believe in an invisible God that can listen to our thoughts and made the universe though?:confused:

Belief in such a God is fairly common amongst Christians, yes. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know. People didn't live very long in these days, maybe they died of naturual cuases. or maybe that's just what Jesus told everyone. ;)

The bible itself says people lived to be 70 so they weren't dieing all that young.

If there is no rational explaination for how they provided for their families then it would seem to cast some doubt about the accepted image we have of how they all operated together. I can't imagine that they would just leave their families to their fate which is why I wonder if jesus's group was something more akin to a traveling commune consisting of many people from the disciples families and extended families. Like a traveling circus but with preaching not acrobatics.