Options

What would you do for a chritmas special storyline?

allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm hoping this could be a good thread. The title says it all.

I feel that too many people are critisizing this years special, so maybe they can use this thread to show what ideas they have that would be better?

Personally I'd do a story all about 'Spring Heeled Jack' (and I'd call the episode that too)

For those that haven't heard the (true story) tale it's here....

http://www.spookystuff.co.uk/SpringHeeledJack.html

Comments

• Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I think that the Unicorn and Wasp was a wasted opportunity for the making of a really good Christmas special.

A similar venue and who dunnit plot around a Christmas setting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Mr. Mandela we've got to get you out of here. Those aren't the real Spice Girls."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I'd have a stand-alone story devoid of anything to do with Christmas. Would make a nice change in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mondas wrote: »
    I'd have a stand-alone story devoid of anything to do with Christmas. Would make a nice change in my opinion.

But then they might as well have that as a stand alone story in teh series itself.....which they do have anyway I guess putting something on Christmas makes way for something Christmassy....and in all fairness...its only once a year;)

For me....well as long as Doctor Who is on Christmas...that is all that matters.....we want to keep this tradition forever!!!!!:D
  • Options
    thebill22thebill22 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about some kind of alien turkeys or something along those lines? Or maybe going back to when christmas invented, some aliens destroying christmas, affecting the future as we have no christmas?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest something like The Lodger but instead of moving in to a flat he has to try and pass off as somebodys friend at his friends parents house at christmas to investigate some sort of alien problem. Infact it could just be a follow up from The Lodger in which James Cordon's character could return and The Doctor could try and pass off as his friend. Could open up plenty of comedic opportunities (Doctor at christmas dinner, slagging of presents) which IMO is what a Who christmas ep should be full of and shouldn't be very dramatic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I would suggest something like The Lodger but instead of moving in to a flat he has to try and pass off as somebodys friend at his friends parents house at christmas to investigate some sort of alien problem. Infact it could just be a follow up from The Lodger in which James Cordon's character could return and The Doctor could try and pass off as his friend. Could open up plenty of comedic opportunities (Doctor at christmas dinner, slagging of presents) which IMO is what a Who christmas ep should be full of and shouldn't be very dramatic.

Yes, and during the dinner the doctor can finally say the long awaited line...

"We can see your belly"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Fraid I'm another who thought this year's was pretty silly. It would have been enough to just hint at the Michael Gambon character being Scrooge-like, a bad person who is helped to see the light, with no overt references to Christmas at all, and let viewers work it out for themselves.
  • Options
    ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching the programmes about Live Aid on Boxing Day, I could definitely imagine the Doctor in a kind of Bob Geldof mood, throwing his weight around trying to get lots of disparate characters to work together to save the universe. He can bulldoze his way through any petty bureaucracy, personality clashes, accountants, politicians, space/time anomalies and other assorted timewasters. Like Bob, he can be single minded about getting his own way because he knows he's right.

Okay, maybe not ending up with a charity single at the end but it's still the season of goodwill. :D
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have something similiar to the smilers.

The opening scene would be children lining up to go in to a tent to see Santa. A little boy goes in and a robot Santa is sitting smiling at him. The boy's a little wary but goes over and sits on his knee. Santa's head turns towards the boy and asks what he would like for Christmas. So the little boy tells him then Santa asks if he's been a good boy and the little boy nods slowly. One of Santa's hands come up and touch the little boys head, then we hear noises from things that have happened to the little boy over the year. "Go to your room!" "How many times do I have to tell you?" then the little boy looks up at Santa and his face is angry and says "Naughty". The floor opens up and the little boy is dropped down and he screams as the titles start :) It's basically a rip off from the beast below but it's the first thing that popped into my head lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Related to the explanation of many worlds having a midwinter festival, I'd set it somewhere that doesn't. Somewhere with no seasons. A planet in a circular orbit that either has its axis of rotation exactly perpendicular to its orbital plane or doesn't rotate at all (people might only live on the night/day boundary in that case- which could be a great setting).

Of course on Earth, even tropical regions have slight seasonal variations- not to mention holidays imported from elsewhere on the planet.

More of an idea for a setting than a story, but could make for an interesting contrast with our world.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I reason it in my head:
    • something with a substantial role for a guest star;
    • something avoiding the whole planet/universe/existence itself being in peril, that having been done to death; and
    • something that avoids too much continuity since the Christmas viewing figures tends to be quite a bit above average.

The more I just end up at Blink.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor vs. The Grinch.....

I'll get my coat :o
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EELover wrote: »
    The Doctor vs. The Grinch.....

I'll get my coat :o

I think that may be SM's plan for next year. :D

I'd prefer a Christmas theme plot line personally. Something which may be a bit overblown and ridiculous but overall just a bit of fun.

The Wise Men are tracking the whereabouts of a fabled Star which is said to contain great power, but The Monarch is unimpressed; such a star could question his supremacy. It's battle to reach The Star first which the Doctor gets involved in but there's soon a twist when he realises that the Pandorica is what is being sought.

:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean...The Gavin & Stacey & Doctor Who Special !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Here's my idea.

Pretaura. An entire planet dedicated to the largest shopping centre in the Universe.

The Doctor decides to take Amy and Rory for a little bit of Christmas Shopping.

But Pretaura has other ideas.

Soon, mannequins bearing the "latest fashions" are coming to life. Information devices are backfiring. And there are rumours that the heart of the planet holds more than just magma.

The Autons are back. Can the Doctor save Christmas as gifts begin to backfire against their owners?
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I'd have something similiar to the smilers.

The opening scene would be children lining up to go in to a tent to see Santa. A little boy goes in and a robot Santa is sitting smiling at him. The boy's a little wary but goes over and sits on his knee. Santa's head turns towards the boy and asks what he would like for Christmas. So the little boy tells him then Santa asks if he's been a good boy and the little boy nods slowly. One of Santa's hands come up and touch the little boys head, then we hear noises from things that have happened to the little boy over the year. "Go to your room!" "How many times do I have to tell you?" then the little boy looks up at Santa and his face is angry and says "Naughty". The floor opens up and the little boy is dropped down and he screams as the titles start :) It's basically a rip off from the beast below but it's the first thing that popped into my head lol.

great idea...and one that will terrify kids for years to come
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great idea...and one that will terrify kids for years to come

Yes I agree. this one is winning it for me at the moment :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Hmmm . . . I would love to see a Christmas story where, in the Year 0 AD, aliens have infiltrated Bethlehem or something, and the Doctor has to save the day as well as unite a heavily pregnant lady with her estranged husband, or some crap.

Basically, the Nativity, but with a traditional Doctor Who twist, and where it ends up the Doctor is the forefront for the whole of Christianity :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Yes I agree. this one is winning it for me at the moment :)

Me 2. My little girl would have nightmares for months :eek:
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    So the little boy tells him then Santa asks if he's been a good boy and the little boy nods slowly. One of Santa's hands come up and touch the little boys head, then we hear noises from things that have happened to the little boy over the year. "Go to your room!" "How many times do I have to tell you?" then the little boy looks up at Santa and his face is angry and says "Naughty". The floor opens up and the little boy is dropped down and he screams as the titles start :) It's basically a rip off from the beast below but it's the first thing that popped into my head lol.

How about a society that has taken all the trappings of Christmas and none of the spirit - as above, Santa becomes a figure of judgement and retribution, gifting has become a state-controlled confiscation of goods. You could work in some good points about the real meaning of Christmas and about what's really important.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Hmmm . . . I would love to see a Christmas story where, in the Year 0 AD, aliens have infiltrated Bethlehem or something, and the Doctor has to save the day as well as unite a heavily pregnant lady with her estranged husband, or some crap.

Basically, the Nativity, but with a traditional Doctor Who twist, and where it ends up the Doctor is the forefront for the whole of Christianity :D

Nice idea but it will never happen. Can you imagine the ramifications and ruptions from certain religious groups.
    To go with your idea the "star" that the wise men follow could be a comet about to hit the earth and wipe out all life and The Doctor has to prevent this but still allow "historical" events to occurr thus preserving the timeline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Nice idea but it will never happen. Can you imagine the ramifications and ruptions from certain religious groups.
    To go with your idea the "star" that the wise men follow could be a comet about to hit the earth and wipe out all life and The Doctor has to prevent this but still allow "historical" events to occurr thus preserving the timeline

Like it andy1231... I don't see why the Doc couldn't go back to the year 0 myself. After christmas is about christianity. So long as it's done in the right way it could be a hoot!
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Like it andy1231... I don't see why the Doc couldn't go back to the year 0 myself. After christmas is about christianity. So long as it's done in the right way it could be a hoot!

actually very little about christmas is related to christianity, the tree, the giving of gifts etc all predates christ

Also christ was born in the spring so if the doctor visited Mary at christmas he'd have a bit of a wait on his hands ;)

:D
  • Options
    LurgidBeeLurgidBee Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    a lot of the early speculation for the 2010 special came up with some pretty cool ideas around how "a christmas carol" would be adapted, a lot of which were far from the mark. I really enjoyed the actual special and I don't remember any of the speculation quite guessing what was going to happen.

but...

I am slightly disappointed because some people put forward some pretty cool theories putting the Dr in the "Scrooge" role and his past, current and future incarnations in the roles of the various ghosts. that would have been awesome (in a fan-wanky kind of way). it will never be done, but a great idea nonetheless.