Options

Martina Cole "The Runaway" tonight on Sky 1

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
We're quite excited about this, it looks good, and it has Ken Stott in it:D one of our favourite actors:D anyone else watching it?:)

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll watch the ad free version on Anytime tomorrow. Looking forward to it. The Take was excellent.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thanks for reminding me!

I'd forgotten it was on tonight :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Promising. Great cast. Already set up on SKY+.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    cant wait :)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Yes...have set up sky+ to link record too..

Loved the take and have just bought a huge bundle of most of Martina Cole books on ebay too..can start reading now as have just finished my last Jodi Picoult today.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I thought Martina's Cole's, The Runaway was supperb, excrutiatingly violent and of course alot of people would be upset by the violence. I give it 10 out of 10. Really good!!
    Ian.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    On the TV review segment of 5live on Monday, they buried this.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I can't share the enthusiasm.

The cast was good but the script was so stuffed with cliches it wasn't true.

Sky seem to think that including as much swearing as possible is 'controversial'. It's not. It actually becomes meaningless after a while, thereby undermining its power. :yawn:

The violence was borderline comedy - especially when the guy got stabbed in the neck and blood went everywhere. Just hilarious - not 'excrutiatingly violent' at all from where I was sat.

And the period detail was really poor. Why bother identifying the year as 1966 when the production was then just given an extremely 'generic sixties' look.

Yet another example of Sky not really being able to come up with the good when it comes to original drama. A shame, as I hade hoped this might dent and bring down ITV's cesspit of mediocrity, Monroe - but, now I've seen it, I'm guessing not.

I'd give it 3/10.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    It will be very interesting to the viewing figuers when they are published tomorrow.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek50011 wrote: »
    We'll watch the ad free version on Anytime tomorrow. Looking forward to it. The Take was excellent.

we missed that! and i remember it being on too!

i think i've had her books out on loan from the library before and i couldnt get into them but i might give them another go after this

not bad as it turned out, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but i didnt see ken stott tonight, hope they give him another part other than a copper!! would be a change to see him as a different character ,on the wrong side of the law for a change
    love keith allen in this but his wig is dire!:o:p
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I love Martina Cole's books and I read "The Runaway" a couple of years ago.

Obviously the book is far better than the TV adaptation (they always are) and, as for the swearing, there is far more in the actual book!

I think it will get better as the storyline develops a little more ... I remember what happens and it will be interesting to see how Sky manage to do this. I did notice that Martina Cole was involved in the production so obviously will not want the programme to stray too far from the book (one hopes!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching now.
    Is Keith Allen wearing that wig for a bet ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching now.

didnt they have bald / shaven headed men in the sixties? he looks much better left as he is!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good wun it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't share the enthusiasm.

The cast was good but the script was so stuffed with cliches it wasn't true.

Sky seem to think that including as much swearing as possible is 'controversial'. It's not. It actually becomes meaningless after a while, thereby undermining its power. :yawn:

The violence was borderline comedy - especially when the guy got stabbed in the neck and blood went everywhere. Just hilarious - not 'excrutiatingly violent' at all from where I was sat.

And the period detail was really poor. Why bother identifying the year as 1966 when the production was then just given an extremely 'generic sixties' look.

Yet another example of Sky not really being able to come up with the good when it comes to original drama. A shame, as I hade hoped this might dent and bring down ITV's cesspit of mediocrity, Monroe - but, now I've seen it, I'm guessing not.

I'd give it 3/10.

I sort of agree. I'll give it another try next week, but it's very formulaic, like a comic strip.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to the viewing figuers when they are published tomorrow.
    Ian.

...and then see by how much they increase in the 'officials'.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazziecon wrote: »

Obviously the book is far better than the TV adaptation (they always are) and, as for the swearing, there is far more in the actual book!

I think it will get better as the storyline develops a little more ... I remember what happens and it will be interesting to see how Sky manage to do this. I did notice that Martina Cole was involved in the production so obviously will not want the programme to stray too far from the book (one hopes!!

I'm a HUGE fan of Martina Cole and have read most of her books.

I've recorded this so will try and catch up with it over the weekend but I've always enjoyed her tv adaptations, however, like you say, they're never as good as the books.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed this last night. I have Virgin so it's not on their catch up service. Does anyone know when Sky One or Sky Two are repeating it before the next ep next Thursday?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Watched this last night and I was gutted that it wasnt like the book, they missed so much out already. The actress who played cathy was supposed to be 14 FFS!! No where near as good as the take, although Runaway is a brilliant book
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Watching now.

One of the worst syrup's I've ever seen on the telly.:D
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Watching now.
    kate36 wrote: »
    didnt they have bald / shaven headed men in the sixties? he looks much better left as he is!

im sure the wig was supposed to be obvious. In the clip for next week's episode he is bald!
    kazziecon wrote: »

I hope so, though Mark Billingham was involved in the Thorne series and that changed the plot and ending of one of his books completely!

Not as as attention grabbing on the first episode as The Take i must say. Ive read The Runaway and vaguely remember it. I am looking forward to seeing Alan Cumming, think he is great. Hopefully the next five episodes will be good.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching now.
    I kept looking at his face and was wondering who the hell it was!! Yeah bad wig but perhaps they weren't the most brilliant designed items back then.

Watched tonight as it was shown on Sky 2 (and for those wondering when it's going to shown again, look on tvguide. co.uk, click on the programme and it should show when it's going to be broadcast again) and erm....I quite like it! It's got me wondering how all of this is going to end, so I'll be tuning in next week.

I could have sworn the bit in future episodes shown on the trailer where it looks like she gets to Central London and is befriended by a transsexual drag queen, hasn't this been done in another drama? I can't remember the name but when I saw the trailer, I felt that I had seen certain parts before.
  • Options
    The Mad JokerThe Mad Joker Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member
    char63 wrote: »
    Watched this last night and I was gutted that it wasnt like the book, they missed so much out already. The actress who played cathy was supposed to be 14 FFS!! No where near as good as the take, although Runaway is a brilliant book

cant see ur piont, with the take maggie was 14 in the book, but in the film she was like 18, also in the book jimmy found out that freddie raped maggie but in the film he didnt have a clue, so just give it a chance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Missed this last night. I have Virgin so it's not on their catch up service. Does anyone know when Sky One or Sky Two are repeating it before the next ep next Thursday?

Thanks in advance.

Sky 2 Monday 9
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie99 wrote: »
    Sky 2 Monday 9
    And Wed 6th Sky One 11pm. :)