Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice hotel but after only 2 months you wouldn't expect it to show any wear and tear yet. They seem like a nice couple but, however much of a pain that woman was trying to be, I would be suspicious of any professional kitchen that couldn't manage to knock up a pancake when asked.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    What a loathsome couple.

Just bitter because they thought this couple had marked them down.

Hope their ashamed of themselves on friday
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jason and Eli did well tonight. Their place was certainly different. Would love to stay somewhere like that, just to experience it.

So far, they're my favourites (although its not hard with pillock face from yesterday)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine Ben and Thomasin saying they woudn't stay again!

Personally, I coudn't fault G Boutique.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowing reviews...

And it looks like Eli has responded to each one.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    That is the annoying thing this series, that there is obvious bad blood based on the feedback-but they really got carried away and should judge based on the experience, not their feelings; there was absolutely no doubt their place was stunning!!
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice hotel but after only 2 months you wouldn't expect it to show any wear and tear yet. They seem like a nice couple but, however much of a pain that woman was trying to be, I would be suspicious of any professional kitchen that couldn't manage to knock up a pancake when asked.

Exactly, and the "cook" didn't say that she hadn't got the ingredients, which is how Eli relayed it, she said she "hadn't got any", so they were obviously not being made freshly in the kitchen but bought in, especially as the ingredients for thin pancakes are the same as the ingredients for the thick American-style pancakes on the menu AFAIK.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Yesterday's host is a bit of a wally isnt he...going off him as the show progresses!

His partner isnt much better

Not doing themselves any favours, either as a hospitality host or as people. Most of their criticism was personal and not constructive.

True you would expect everything to be fresh, but I don't think it was an issue that the kitchen couldn't stop in the middle of breakfast service to make a fresh batch of batter for a different style of pancake.

At Ben's place they wouldn't even poach, boil or scramble an egg, it was fried, or fried. There was also the issue of the wait time and the fact that he didn't check on them for extra teas and coffees - he stood in the kitchen having his own breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it looks like Eli has responded to each one.

Yes, I thought that was so good, the way Eli thanked everybody for their reviews.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »
    ... especially as the ingredients for thin pancakes are the same as the ingredients for the thick American-style pancakes on the menu AFAIK.

I couldn't argue about them being bought in, possibly they are, but I wouldn't use the same batter mix.

American style are usually made with added baking powder, or baking powder and bicarbonate of soda too and often use buttermilk rather than ordinary milk - that's how you get the thickness, the raising agents are what make them fluffy and thicker.
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I couldn't argue about them being bought in, possibly they are, but I wouldn't use the same batter mix.

American style are usually made with added baking powder, or baking powder and bicarbonate of soda too and often use buttermilk rather than ordinary milk - that's how you get the thickness, the raising agents are what make them fluffy and thicker.

Ok, I should have said that the basic ingredients are the same then, i.e. flour, eggs, milk and oil. If she was making the American pancakes fresh she would also have had the ingredients for thin pancakes because she would only have to use milk instead of buttermilk and omit the baking powder/bicarb.

I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to bother or simply not having time, but she actually said "I haven't got any" which is why I made the "pre-made" comment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Graham reminds me of a fat Chuckle Brother:D:D
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on record. What a pair of nasty barsty people Ben and Thomasina are. Anyone watching this might give them a knock back in the future. Pole dancing or nay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked yesterday's couple until they got all defensive and childish over the criticism. Don't they realise the true value in this programme is the week long advert, not the stupid plaque?

Today's place looks amazing, I need one of those baths.
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays hosts are being nasty to todays hosts,,,,because they wrongly thought they had given them bad comments...............Nasty pair and i hope they lose
    Forum Member
    GRRRRRRRRRR,,,,,yesterdays hosts are annoying me now,,,,,,,what a petty snobby couple they are:mad::mad:
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's couple seem naturally engaging, friendly and communicative people, whether they'd be B&B hosts or be working in any other occupation. They're naturals. And very professional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Yesterdays hosts are being nasty to todays hosts,,,,because they wrongly thought they had given them bad comments...............Nasty pair and i hope they lose

Yes that made them look even worse... but today's hosts didn't take it well either :(
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Hope their ashamed of themselves on friday

So do I, but they do not seem the type.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,053
    Forum Member
    What's with Jason and his hair?

I don't mean to sound picky but if you're perfectionists (as these two claim to be) then for heaven's sake take another look at your furniture (uncomfortable chairs), change the doorbell (badly let them down), landscape your grounds and learn how to make crepes. When the "chef" said she "didn't have any" (what - no flour, butter or eggs in the kitchen?) that told me that the pancakes she was serving were bought and not home-made.

I always balk at the idea of paying through the nose for someone else's taste, and that's what I felt about the G! (and a lot of other "boutique" establishments). It's a niche market and I wish them well, but it's definitely not my cup of campari.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that made them look even worse... but today's hosts didn't take it well either :(
    They didn't... but the criticisms seemed mostly based around "hosts too attentive". Well, if you're paying £150+ per night, you do expect the hosts to be attentive. And Mr G! (forgotten their names) I think was being protective of Mrs G! when he was saying that he wouldn't want guests like "that" to stay again... Mrs G! was looking a bit po-faced as he had his mini-rant. I don't think she would have wanted him to react like that.

But to go back to Thomasine and Ben... did you catch her face when they were shown into their G! room? Not best pleased that the surroundings were so good. :D

Re the pancake... in more relaxed surroundings, a can-do approach to doing something off-piste would be fine, I think. I'd risk it :eek: but the guests would be part of the attempt (they eat in my kitchen) and it would be fun even if it went wrong.

In a "proper" hotel kitchen - and on with cameras in your face - you'd be risking a failure on national tv which you'd be judged on. Not worth it unless you have a very competent, confident cook.

ETA:
    Having just checked on Laterooms.com, the rooms at g! Boutique are on offer for £75 instead of £130 or £65 instead of £110. This is January, admittedly, and the hotel is probably quieter than at other times of the year but at those prices, I'd definitely stay there. :cool:
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like him! Moaning the hosts were attentive - he needs to take note.

Evening all.

Said much the same a few posts back....Far more interested in the pole dancing and `fringe benefits` than the Band B side
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Pancakegate' - bet that's a first!

Quite fancy one myself now, and I don't care what kind it is!
This discussion has been closed.