Options

I just purchased Windows 8

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered an OEM Windows 8.

I'd have tried this earlier but reading all the stuff out there put me off.

But needs has meant it was this or another OEM Windows 7 (I'm extremely happy with 7).

The price between the two is almost the same at around £70.

I figure I'll give it a go and see if what I've read will match up to my own experience.

I hope I don't regret it.

Comments

• Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Just download ClassicShell when you start regretting it. :)

I hate being dependant on a piece of third-party software because Microsoft's too stubborn to listen to customers.

That's my major gripe.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like it, you can upgrade to Windows 7. Might be an expensive way of finding out if you don't like Windows 8 though.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered an OEM Windows 8.

I'd have tried this earlier but reading all the stuff out there put me off.

But needs has meant it was this or another OEM Windows 7 (I'm extremely happy with 7).

The price between the two is almost the same at around £70.

I figure I'll give it a go and see if what I've read will match up to my own experience.

I hope I don't regret it.

Just give it a go and don't get wrapped up in the opinions of others....Personally, I gave it a go and downloaded all the so called helpful stuff (3rd party start button etc.). I find that the more I use it, the less I use the 'helpful' stuff.
    BigM knows his way around it and is very helpful if you get really stuck.
    I know this thread will just be a repeat of all the others. A lot of the usual suspects won't be able to resist it....:D ^^^^^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like it, you can upgrade to Windows 7. Might be an expensive way of finding out if you don't like Windows 8 though.

As much as I like 7, after paying £70 I'm determined to give 8 a good trial. It will have to be devastatingly bad and make me want to tear my hair out for me to shell out another £70.

One other thing I'm considering for the build is another keyboard. How is it with a traditional mouse and keyboard?

I was thinking maybe getting one of those keyboards with a laptop track pad type thing built into them.

Is 8 better with a track pad or something else, bar a touch monitor (which is out of the budget for this build)?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it when it first came out for £25. Haven't looked back since. I think it's great, and in the end, it's like having two devices in one.

Everyone is quick to slate Modern UI apps, but they are great for when you aren't working, there are so many more games and other useful applications that you find on the likes of iOS and Android on there, it's handy to have things like TuneInRadio also available on your PC/laptop.

The interface takes some getting used to, but once you learn it, it's not that different from Windows 7, especially when on the Desktop. Hopefully you'll have a positive experience of the OS, as there are just too many people slating it without giving it a chance. :)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I like 7, after paying £70 I'm determined to give 8 a good trial. It will have to be devastatingly bad and make me want to tear my hair out for me to shell out another £70.

One other thing I'm considering for the build is another keyboard. How is it with a traditional mouse and keyboard?

I was thinking maybe getting one of those keyboards with a laptop track pad type thing built into them.

Is 8 better with a track pad or something else, bar a touch monitor (which is out of the budget for this build)?

A multitouch trackpad certainly can't hurt. But you want to get a good one and be sure it supports edge gestures and multitouch. Logitech T650 is a good one but expensive. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/articles/win8-t650-gestures

The main thing I'd say is learn some of the keyboard shortcuts rather than mousing everywhere.

Also remember that you have a windows key on your keyboard.

(There are more tips, but a few at a time :) )

We can support you in giving a proper go of it. If you still don't like it after following our suggestions, then try classic shell or similar (I'd choose modernmix personally). If you still don't like it then you can downgrade to 7 Pro (if you have the Pro version of 8).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I bought it when it first came out for £25. Haven't looked back since. I think it's great, and in the end, it's like having two devices in one.

Everyone is quick to slate Modern UI apps, but they are great for when you aren't working, there are so many more games and other useful applications that you find on the likes of iOS and Android on there, it's handy to have things like TuneInRadio also available on your PC/laptop.

The interface takes some getting used to, but once you learn it, it's not that different from Windows 7, especially when on the Desktop. Hopefully you'll have a positive experience of the OS, as there are just too many people slating it without giving it a chance. :)

I'm pretty miffed that I didn't take advantage of the offers when they were around. I don't even have any old licences to upgrade from so I've ended up ordering a full 64bit licence.

I've thought of another question. I have been using an old XP version of MS Office which I'm assuming I can no longer use. I've read somewhere that MS Office is different on Windows 8 or something.

Is there a basic online version for free or something, and if so, how is it? (I read something about another version where you paid an annual fee).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    A multitouch trackpad certainly can't hurt. But you want to get a good one and be sure it supports edge gestures and multitouch. Logitech T650 is a good one but expensive. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/articles/win8-t650-gestures

The main thing I'd say is learn some of the keyboard shortcuts rather than mousing everywhere.

Also remember that you have a windows key on your keyboard.

(There are more tips, but a few at a time :) )

We can support you in giving a proper go of it. If you still don't like it after following our suggestions, then try classic shell or similar (I'd choose modernmix personally). If you still don't like it then you can downgrade to 7 Pro (if you have the Pro version of 8).

I can't really afford anything fancy for this build as it isn't going to be my main system.

I was looking at thisLogitech K400 if that isn't any good I'll just use an old wireless keyboard and mouse combo I have.

I haven't purchased the Pro version as that would have upped the budget even more and traditionally I've just used the home versions (currently 7 Home Premium).

What's this about downgrading??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty miffed that I didn't take advantage of the offers when they were around. I don't even have any old licences to upgrade from so I've ended up ordering a full 64bit licence.

I've thought of another question. I have been using an old XP version of MS Office which I'm assuming I can no longer use. I've read somewhere that MS Office is different on Windows 8 or something.

Is there a basic online version for free or something, and if so, how is it? (I read something about another version where you paid an annual fee).

I'm pretty sure Office 2003 could work in Windows 8, though I haven't tried it. Usually Microsoft try and scare you and claim that the older versions are unstable, but they tend to work fine on newer systems mostly. Office 2007 onwards should run fine on Windows 8. I'm running Office 2010 on mine, even though 2013 has been out for a while now.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using an old XP version of MS Office which I'm assuming I can no longer use. I've read somewhere that MS Office is different on Windows 8 or something.
    Office and Windows are two separate products. AFAIK you can use an old version of Office on Windows 8 - definitely worth a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for the Metro aspects of Win8 here (Adobe Acrobat PDF file). Peculiarly MS call it a "training brochure":
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39055

Here's a list of the third-party user interface utilities. As well as restoring the Start button and its menu, most of these also have options to boot in desktop mode and to disable the charm icons (the column of icons which appear on the righthand side of the screen).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to use existing license of MS Office is definitely a bonus. The machine that it is currently installed on has given up the ghost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the learning curve like. How long before I can do basics and how different is it to 7 in respect to me sitting down in front of it for the first time.

Am I going to be scratching my head and looking online for answers? How intuitive is it? Does coming from W7 actually hinder me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the learning curve like.
    Oh you're going to get both extremes of answers to that question. The fanboys will say it's dead easy, the realists will say it's impossible.

Best try it yourself. Give that manual/training brochure a go, it seems quite good. Be prepared to Google for advanced obscure procedures such as switching off (yes, really).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the learning curve like. How long before I can do basics and how different is it to 7 in respect to me sitting down in front of it for the first time.

Am I going to be scratching my head and looking online for answers? How intuitive is it? Does coming from W7 actually hinder me?

Coming from Windows 7 will be fine. You'll probably feel most at home on the desktop as that's basically Windows 7 with a few changes. The Modern UI does take some getting used to though, so if you're not a fan of that or don't like the concept, there's a lot of that involved in Windows 8 and you may not like it. But I personally do like to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be_Cbwylrn0

I would recommend watching this video or some others on YouTube to get some more ideas about the OS in action. I think you'll be fine though. :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 is great as long as you
    a) install a start menu (lots are available)
    b) boot straight into desktop mode

That way you never need see or use the Metro/Modern UI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really afford anything fancy for this build as it isn't going to be my main system.

I was looking at thisLogitech K400 if that isn't any good I'll just use an old wireless keyboard and mouse combo I have.

I haven't purchased the Pro version as that would have upped the budget even more and traditionally I've just used the home versions (currently 7 Home Premium).

What's this about downgrading??

The amazon description doesn't mention windows 8 compatibility. I would save your money and use regular keyboard mouse.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Learning curve will be a few days until you get used to where things are. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amazon description doesn't mention windows 8 compatibility. I would save your money and use regular keyboard mouse.

I'm all for saving money. Thanks. I will try it out with regular keyboard and mouse and see how things are.

Just gotta wait for Amazon to deliver the software.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Office and Windows are two separate products. AFAIK you can use an old version of Office on Windows 8 - definitely worth a try.

Most versions of Office 2003 and earlier are NOT compatible with Windows 8

From the horse mouth:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777626
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for saving money. Thanks. I will try it out with regular keyboard and mouse and see how things are.

Rather than using Office XP on it, perhaps do an Office 365 free trial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than using Office XP on it, perhaps do an Office 365 free trial?

Dunno what it is but will deffo. add it to my list of things to google.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Oh you're going to get both extremes of answers to that question. The fanboys will say it's dead easy, the realists will say it's impossible.

Best try it yourself. Give that manual/training brochure a go, it seems quite good. Be prepared to Google for advanced obscure procedures such as switching off (yes, really).

Not really accurate.....I like it, but it's taken a while (and still taking time) to get used to it and use it naturally.
    How can a realist say 'It's impossible'? They wouldn't be a realist then, would they? Obviously it's not impossible as people are learning and using it...The statement would make more sense if the realist said it wasn't easy to learn, maybe, perhaps, possibly...?
    It's not for everyone, but, then neither is any OS.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I find that a mouse with forward and back buttons on the side usefull. it'll work in apps to return to previous screen if required.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

Try Googling Leap Motion if it works as good as claimed it looks pretty interesting.