iOS 8 release - 17/09/2014

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
Forum Member
The eagerly awaited release of the new 'iPhone Operating System' (for Apple fanatics anyway), set for download/installing tomorrow.

New features that were unveiled in the Keynote include a Health Application, new keyboard options, family sharing, iCloud drive, notification options and responding, and plenty of other things, that I haven't mentioned.

Now, we also have a dedicated topic for the Operating System. :)

Comments

• Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what time it'll likely be available from tomorrow?
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually ~6pm, then it crashes due to demand, then back up at 12am :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it usually around 6pm UK time?
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    after the cluster F of last year and it crashing my phone and wiping it i think i will wait a few days.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably wait for a few 8.0x updates before I upgrade. Lesson learnt from iOS 7 update which was problematic to start with.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Wait for the second or third revision before downloading it.
  • Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iOS 7 was fine for me, so I'm not waiting for the revisions. It'll be fine...Apple will iron out bugs pretty quickly.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Does this mean I will finally be getting an Android type keyboard on my iPad at long last? I love my Android keyboard and hate the iPad offering.

Hopefully this will mean iOS 8 trying to catch up with Android. ;-)
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Does this mean I will finally be getting an Android type keyboard on my iPad at long last? I love my Android keyboard and hate the iPad offering.

Hopefully this will mean iOS 8 trying to catch up with Android. ;-)

I wonder if any new keyboards will be available tomorrow, or if none are ready for release yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    I wonder if any new keyboards will be available tomorrow, or if none are ready for release yet.

Apparently there will be some ready at launch. I think SwiftKey is one of them.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »

I dream of an Android predictive type keyboard for the iPad. I have hated it from day 1 and Apple's refusal to do anything about it until now has always incensed me. Let's face it we are only getting it now because Android is eating into their customer base. I do love how Tim Cook managed to spin it as though Apple were doing us a big favour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many times the word intuitive will get used tomorrow ;)
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Why not just download the Gold Master now? It's identical to the release version...

It's version (12A365) if anyone is interested
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of early observations:

The screen brightness seems to behave strangely. As far as I was aware, you used to be able to set the brightness on the slider, and then the auto brightness would operate within that point on the slider. But now, the auto brightness adjusts the slider itself. It's a bit odd adjusting the brightness, because the resulting brightness doesn't correspond with what you see when you're moving the slider.

The interactive notifications don't seem to be handled particularly well at all. Unless I've missed something, you can't actually respond to notifications once they're in the Notification Centre. So, to use the quick reply to a text, you have to decide to do it as soon as the text comes through, when the notification is at the top of the screen. You can't pull down the Notification Centre and reply to it from there, as far as I can see.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just been reading an article on gizmodo that says do NOT put it on the 4s, which is a shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, re my post above, about interactive notifications:

You can reply from the pull down Notification Centre or from the lock screen, but only if you have the option for message previews enabled. This makes sense for the lock screen, but not at all for the Notification Centre when the phone is unlocked. If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to explain.

If you have message previews disabled, the notification at the top will display 'Danny, iMessage' for example. You can then pull down the notification to see the content of the message and reply. Fine so far. Now, in the pull-down Notification Centre, the content of message are always displayed if the phone is unlocked, whether you have the preview enabled or not. So there's no reason to disable the quick reply from this area when message preview is disabled.

EDIT: I'm also not keen on the fact that you have to pull down the notification from the top, then use the keyboard at the bottom, then go back up to the top left for the send button. It'll be even more annoying on bigger phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing: When you open a picture as full screen within the Messages app, the status bar isn't hidden properly. You can just about see the signal bars, time, battery icon etc through the picture, and it looks messy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Waiting*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Some of the app iOS 8 apps are updating. Namely Find My iPhone and Remote.
  • john_hunterjohn_hunter Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting patiently :)
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten it was today.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloading now, it was ready just before 6pm then.

It says "the biggest update since the App Store", and I believe them seeing as it's a 1.1GB download, I hope you've all got good internet lol

If you click on "learn more" it lists all the additions, it's a HUGE list :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Downloading now - 19 mins remaining!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the OTA update requires nearly 7GB of free space!!
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the OTA update requires nearly 7GB of free space!!

I have 7.5, phew!!

And the guy who said 19mins remaining, you watch that time, I bet it goes to 1-2 hours in a minute like mine did lol