How can you keep your email address if you leave AOL?

risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi i am going to leave AOL i have my MAC code and i will probably go over to Tiscali.
I want to keep my email address and one of those that i have given to my brother.
Do i need to do anything to do this if so what do i need to do?
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    risingstar wrote: »
    Hi i am going to leave AOL i have my MAC code and i will probably go over to Tiscali.
    I want to keep my email address and one of those that i have given to my brother.
    Do i need to do anything to do this if so what do i need to do?
    Thanks

You just keep the settings you already have...but I think you'll find that sooner or later they will deny you access to them....after all you are no longer their customer so why should you expect to be using their facilities...get a GMAIL addy that doesn't expire between ISP's;)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use them with no problems. I have moved from AOL to SKY and have a number of email accounts with AOL. They are still being used and it does not cost anything. You can access them via the AOL website or I have set up Outlook to retrieve them for me. So basically YES you can keep your AOL email accounts no probs. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    hi i left aol 2 years ago and my screen name email still working. i went to tiscali dont do it tiscali are a lot worse than aol
  • risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your help. It is good to know that i can keep my email address. I will just wait for my sister to recommend me and then i will be of i think.

daviddrwho you say that you left AOL 2 years ago they were ok two years but now i think that they are pretty bad.
    They are ripping me of and are doing so to other people as well.

I am on Brodband Gold and am meant to be getting 2mb in speed for £19.99 with a view of going up to 4mb with their upgrades. I was getting 2meg until Carphone warehouse took over from AOL. When they took over they cut my speed down to 1mb and they have been charging me the same £19.99 for months .Most of the time my speeds are far from even being 1meg.
    I called them and gave them enough time to put this right but they did not.

My sister uses Tiscali and her service seems to be ok. I hope that Tiscali will not be as bad as AOL. I was thinking of going onto Tiscali Max for £17.99 a month (currently my line can only support up to 4.5mb but i will not mind having it as this speed). What has your experience been like with Tiscali? The other ISP that i was thinking of going with was BT. I haven't got Sky so that is not an option for me.

I haven't giving AOL any warning i will just stop them from taking money out of my bank and that will be it. I wasn't looking for any freebie to stay with them as i have had enough of them. I had been with them for 5 plus years. I have never had a service so bad with them though as i have been doing so recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn: Oh well I tried...:rolleyes: ....but mark my words...a week, a month, a year, Two years, 3, or 4 "sooner or later" it will stop and then what will you do? Complain to AOL/carphone warehouse because they have stopped you accessing something you no longer pay them for?

GMAIL costs now't and if you switch ISP's it is still there ....
  • andersonshatchandersonshatch Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Anyone can sign up for an AOL screenname for AOL instant messenger or email [at least they can in the US]. So I don't see why they would remove your screenname / email address.

Josh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is why would you want to?
    With all the problems AOL experience with email...don't ya think it a bit foolhardy relying on their email service when there are more reliable freebies available with more space...
    But horses for courses...if you feel happy trusting AOL's email...fine your choice.
  • andersonshatchandersonshatch Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Believe me, I don't trust AOL with my email. Practically all of my email goes to my Gmail account (who have had their problems as well!!).

Back to the point: the OP asked whether you could keep your AOL mail account; you can :)

Josh
  • 10past310past3 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic slightly, but another way is to buy your own domain and get it hosted for next to no cost, and you then have an email address for life - you@yourdomain.co.uk.

It costs about a tenner to buy a domain, and the same again to renew it every couple of years, plus the £1.50 per month to have it hosted - not much in the overall cost of being alive to have independence. You also have instant means of creating a new temporary address for online sign-ins where you'd rather not give your real address away - create someink@yourdomain.co.uk, buy the ink [or whatever] then delete the account once the deal is done to your satisfaction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you leave AOL. You don't need to pay to retain the email account. All you need do is log in to each account you want to keep after your AOL account has ended. You will then be asked to confirm you password and that you want to retain the free AOL email address.

I have done this personally about three months ago. You are not automatically entitled to the username/email address so you need to get there first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help. In time i am sure that i will use AOL mail less and less.

I don't want to start another thread but i was wondering does anybody have any idea what is going on here?
    I got my Mac code from AOL and tried to go over to Tiscali.
    Tiscali got back to me with this-
    Thank you for your Tiscali Broadband order.
    Unfortunately there is a query on your order; the telephone number does not correspond to the MAC code (Migration Authorisation Code) you have provided. In order for us to enable your line with broadband there must be a match on the BT system between your telephone number and the MAC code that was given to you by your service provider.
    Please check the details below and contact us with the correct information. Also ensure the telephone number you have provided is your BT line.
    I have contacted AOL again and they said that my MAC code is correct. I don't know what is causing this problem. Tiscali said when i was on the phone with them that they were getting errors back with BT. I am not changing my phone line to Tiscali i only want to use their Broadband service.

Maybe i will have to cancel AOL and then move over to Tiscali a fresh. I am going on holiday on the 13th for two weeks so it could maybe be ideal for me to do this then.

I also called BT to see what was going on and they could not shed any light on this as they said that it is their wholesale team that deals with these things and they do not deal with the public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ummm don't want to seem negative....but TISCALI?...Are you barking?
    FRYING PAN or FIRE...you decide...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would you recommend then i do not have Sky or NTL.
    Thanks
    ummm don't want to seem negative....but TISCALI?...Are you barking?
    FRYING PAN or FIRE...you decide...
  • fiesatafiesata Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    If you can get it go to BE super speeds lower prices