OneFoot in the Grave. Who else feels sorry for Victor.

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know two people who are spitting image of Ronnie and Mildred and I understand why they get treated the way they do on the show.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often felt sorry for Victor. People said he moaned a lot, but the thing is - he was usually RIGHT in what he was saying. He didn't like bad manners and shoddy service. Well, why should he?

Brilliant show - I still miss it. I watched the last one once, but will never watch it again, it upset me that after the let-downs in life, he had to die - and without realising that his friend who he had waited for actually did turn up. :(

My favourite episode was the one where he was on his own, in the house waiting for jury duty :)
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,368
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    yeah, i always felt she treated him quite badly and was actually more miserable than he was and less kind. That said though i do think she loved him in her own way.

I think that too. She was always ordering him about.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella28 wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite comedies too, but what I mean is we're all supposed to think Margaret's the long suffering one, but when you really think about it, Victor has to put up with a lot more.

That's kind of the point. Long suffering Victor always made to look the fool when all these highly improbably situations arise around him.

And as the show went on it was more apparent Margaret was a female version of Victor in her own way.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    Yes Margaret can be downright nasty to Victor, but she has to put up with a lot too with his constant moaning and getting into scrapes, she does often feel neglected.

The thing is, margaret does love Victor, proof of that is the fact she has stayed with him so long, she just gets frustrated at times and takes it out on him. Victor knows that he causes the frustration and thats why he puts up with it. It's what being married is about, staying together because of love and putting up with the daily frustrations and madness that comes with life.

Margarets not an evil woman, he does have a good heart at times I just think she wishes she had a bit normality and happiness in her life.

Margarets character however just shows how brilliant the writing is. For instance in Keeping up Appearances Hyacinth is the extreme character, whereas Richard is the submissive docile one who just puts up with Hyacinth. With Margaret we get to explore her character in more depth and she gets her revenge on Victor at times, she does more than just put up with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I often felt sorry for Victor. People said he moaned a lot, but the thing is - he was usually RIGHT in what he was saying. He didn't like bad manners and shoddy service. Well, why should he?

Brilliant show - I still miss it. I watched the last one once, but will never watch it again, it upset me that after the let-downs in life, he had to die - and without realising that his friend who he had waited for actually did turn up. :(

My favourite episode was the one where he was on his own, in the house waiting for jury duty :)

Yes you're right. Victor did moan a lot but there was always a reason. He didn't moan just for the sake of it.
    I've only watched the final episode once as well, for the exact same reason. I thought it was a very sad end for poor old Victor.
    It's difficult to choose a favourite episode, but I think The Hole In The Sky is very funny. The best scene has to be when Victor goes to return some money Margaret has found and ends up hiding in the larder sitting on a bag of potatoes, because he thinks Pippa's having an affair with the guy who's money it is but it's her brother, and then Patrick opens the door and Victor asks him what HE'S doing there. :D
    That bit always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy The Executioner's Song.

"When I made our reservations I forgot to ask about the underground brothel facilities!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Rearranging the Dust had a scene where Margaret basically says Victor wasn't the man she fancied and their relationship started as a mistake because a power cut at a party with him having his hand down her bra for half an hour 'twiddling a dead wasp' :D
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I do sympathise with Victor. Replaced by a box because they thought 60 was too old (its not really) and gets treated like crap by everoyne. Is it any wonder he gets moody. In series one when he goes to Greece, not only does his luggage go missing (he later sees Greek rioters wearing his clothes on TV) but his house burns down. His garden gets filled with crap on a daily basis and nobody cares. His chance at fatherhood was cruelly taken away when Stuart didnt survive infancy (expanded in the novel by David Renwick). Its been one huge kick in the nuts for Victor and Margaret
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I enjoy The Executioner's Song.

"When I made our reservations I forgot to ask about the underground brothel facilities!"

I have aqlways wondered why it's called "The Executioners Song". Most episode make sense to me but can't fathom this one out!
  • mulderfanmulderfan Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I always thought that victor was a victim of circumstance and many of the things that happened to him were not of his making and,yes,margaret did nag him but I think they loved each other and I loved the programme especially the one with all the gnomes-classic
  • Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for Victor - he was surrounded by fools :)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Agree totally with what you've said. She did that in The Hollow Lady, which is another episode in which she thinks he's having an affair.
    She also threw his Christmas dinner away when he was late coming home from the church hall, and sprinkled water on his trousers when he was asleep, making him think he'd peed himself.
    There's probably more but I can't think of them yet.

That was horrible, poor old Victor :( He didnt deserve that :(
    Like you said Margaret thought Victor was having an affair a few times like when he got talking to those East European girls at the seaside! :eek: Its almost like she doesnt want Victor to be happy :confused::(
    In 2 episodes (I think) Margaret almost has an affair - Warm Champagne is one, cant remember the other one but I think Victor loses it and kicks the guy out when she finds him in his bed (I dont blame him!) :D
    I also remember in one episode Margaret is talking about 2 budgies trapped in a cage and one wants to kill the other or something, a perfect metaphor for the despair, sadness or guilt in their relationship :cry:
    I feel sorry for him because he lost his job at 60 and got replaced a box and everyone treated him differently and like crap now he was older :(
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    He did experience a lot of bad luck and surreal situations did old Victor.
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was any secret that Margaret could be selfish and even malicious (her soft-of affair, her indifference when Victor believed she'd drowned, publicly ridiculing his impotence etc) Presumably if she wasn't, she'd be the female version of Richard from Keeiping up Appearances? Victor is often maligned and presented as something he wasn't. His picture sometimes accompanies stories about nimbys or dyed-in-the-wool tories, when he was far from either.
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    That was horrible, poor old Victor :( He didnt deserve that :(
    Like you said Margaret thought Victor was having an affair a few times like when he got talking to those East European girls at the seaside! :eek: Its almost like she doesnt want Victor to be happy :confused::(
    In 2 episodes (I think) Margaret almost has an affair - Warm Champagne is one, cant remember the other one but I think Victor loses it and kicks the guy out when she finds him in his bed (I dont blame him!) :D
    I also remember in one episode Margaret is talking about 2 budgies trapped in a cage and one wants to kill the other or something, a perfect metaphor for the despair, sadness or guilt in their relationship :cry:
    I feel sorry for him because he lost his job at 60 and got replaced a box and everyone treated him differently and like crap now he was older :(

She ruined their entire holiday because Victor was talking to those girls. I don't think he would ever be unfaithful, but she was always suspicious.
    I remember Margaret having an affair with Ben, who she met on holiday in Warm Champagne, and the other one you're thinking about is The Eternal Quadrangle. She wasn't having an affair but the other guy got the wrong end of stick when she invited him inside.
    She thought Victor was having an affair in that episode too, because he got a part time job cleaning for the nude model from his art class.
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was any secret that Margaret could be selfish and even malicious (her soft-of affair, her indifference when Victor believed she'd drowned, publicly ridiculing his impotence etc) Presumably if she wasn't, she'd be the female version of Richard from Keeiping up Appearances? Victor is often maligned and presented as something he wasn't. His picture sometimes accompanies stories about nimbys or dyed-in-the-wool tories, when he was far from either.

Poor old Victor thought she'd thrown herself into the canal and he was heartbroken, when in fact she'd gone off to the seaside without telling anyone.
    I agree Victor was definately not a Tory. When he was waiting at the hospital and a Tory candidate asked him if he would be voting Conservative, he said no he'd be voting for the Monster Raving Looney Party, because their policies are more sensible. :D
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miserable bugger that he was, he also had to put up with Mrs Warboys, Mr Swainley next door, and numerous people who just walked into his house!
    Hilarious series :D I too have the full box-set - I watch episodes very often to have a laugh!
    Patrick & Pippa were favourites of mine as well!
    Same here if I'm feeling fed up Victor always puts a smille on my face:)
    He did remind me of my old Dad sometimes with the things he rants about - especially the one in the traffic jam on the motorway , I can remember me & my mum laughing til we cried the first time we saw it, Dad wasn't impressed :)
    Poor Victor once described Mrs Warbouys as a Plague of Locusts in earrings who ate all the digestives !! very funny series gets my vote as top sitcom not OFAH which bloody GOLD are obsessed with !!:mad:
    Forum Member
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    Same here if I'm feeling fed up Victor always puts a smille on my face:)
    He did remind me of my old Dad sometimes with the things he rants about - especially the one in the traffic jam on the motorway , I can remember me & my mum laughing til we cried the first time we saw it, Dad wasn't impressed :)
    Poor Victor once described Mrs Warbouys as a Plague of Locusts in earrings who ate all the digestives !! very funny series gets my vote as top sitcom not OFAH which bloody GOLD are obsessed with !!:mad:

The Beast in The Cage is one of my favourite episodes as well. The best bits are when Mrs Warboys get into the car, when he has a row with those people flirting with each other through his windows, and when Mrs Warboys puts an icecube in his drink that has a wasp in it, and when he complains she said it was the last one, and didn't think he was that fussy. :D
    Agree with you about OFAH. Although I think most episodes are very funny, I would put it as my third favourite after Hi-De-Hi and One Foot in the Grave.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I love this clip from The Beast in the Cage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj2CPMqhPiE

Classic :D:D:D
    "They hold a tune quite well dont they, for car mechanics"
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I loved that each series apart from Series 1 had one episode in with just one self contained scene and they always worked well and it seemed to be the time we would find out more about Victor and Margaret and there past. Series 2 had Timeless Time when Victor and Margaret couldnt sleep and it was revealed they had a child that died, then in Series 5 set in the solictors office we find out from Margaret that Victor wasnt never actually her first choice, always felt sorry for Victor in that one having to hear that from your wife. Series 3 The Beast in the Cage was pure brilliance from Mrs Warboys entrance into the car to the fight across the motorway and then to the famous mechanics song. Series 4 (the strongest series in my opinion) had a fantastic monologue with Victor, I couldnt stop laughing and still do at Victor's discovery of the plant pot in his downstairs toilet, genuis writing in my opinon. The Series 6 episode with them staying up due to the hot weather was probably the weakest one. In my opinion it was one of the best comedy series we've had. Favourite episode from the 6 series... Who will Buy, Beast in the Cage, Worst Horror of all, Warm Champane, Only a Story and my absolute favourite The Secret of the Seven Sorrowers. Out of the feature lengths, I loved them all but Who's Listening & Wisdom of the Witch are my favourites though I loved the One Foot in the Algarve purely because it gave Mrs Warboys a chance to shine and a much bigger role than she had in any previous episodes. The one thing that still annoys me about the final episode though is why we dont see Mrs Warboys, Nick Swainey or Patrick & Pippa and their reaction to Victor's death. I think we could of had some really great scenes with Mrs Warboys coming round to 'comfort' Margaret and coming out with some insensitive funny remark but I especially would liked to of seen Patrick's reaction considering person they were enemies throughout most of the series and whether he would of shown any emotion. I know the final episode seemed to have a big focus on Margaret but I didnt like the fact they werent included, it's like having the final Only Fools and Horses without Trig or Boyce.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did, he wasn't a nasty man, he just got caught up in circumstance. Having to put up with Mrs Warboys and Mr Swainey would test the patience of any person :D

They are all fine actors.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Victor thought she'd thrown herself into the canal and he was heartbroken, when in fact she'd gone off to the seaside without telling anyone.
    I agree Victor was definately not a Tory. When he was waiting at the hospital and a Tory candidate asked him if he would be voting Conservative, he said no he'd be voting for the Monster Raving Looney Party, because their policies are more sensible. :D

Isn't Richard Wilson a Labour supporter in reality?
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Isn't Richard Wilson a Labour supporter in reality?

He is, indeed.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    One Foot In the Grave is very funny. It never gets boring and i still laugh alot at the repeats
    I own most of the Series on DVD but i must get the complete box set at some point.

Shame it ended but of course it could come back if they really wanted it too.

Sadly David Renwick won't write anymore:cry:
    I have always felt it was a mistake to kill Victor off. Would love to see how he would react to things like foreign call centres, smartphones!:D