Options

Are there any wifi dongles that carry data over each month?

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm asking for a friend who doesn't use the internet much at all. He just wants to be able to plug a dongle into a tablet and use it as and when. If he topped it up he wouldn't be using it much so is worried about the fact most he's looked at say top ups last one month. So I assume any data he had left would be wiped off and he'd have to top up again?

Are there any that carry data over? Also what's the best to go for? He's in Truro, Cornwall. I assume they all work on a tablet?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you actually mean a mobile data dongle not a WiFi dongle. In any case most tablets have WiFi built in so don't need a dongle for that.

I'm not aware of any dongle that will work directly on a tablet if it's running Android or iOS. Most dongles I've come across need Windows or Mac OS-X to work. An alternative would be a MiFi device that connects to the internet via mobile data network and the tablet via WiFi. Though it may need a PC/la[top for the initial set up.

The advantages of a MiFi device is you can place it in the best location for mobile reception and connect more than one device to it.

Last time I looked at mobile broadband I couldn't see any that offered a roll over of unused data allowance each month.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn’t any PAYG data plans that rollover unused data from one month to another AFAIK. Vodafone used to do it as I have one but they stopped doing them and then they changed the T&C on the existing ones so you have to buy data in 1 day, 1 week or 1 month’s expiry blocks, double crossing poobags, hence why I no longer use Vodafone for anything.

If your mobile monthly data is small you could buy a cheap Android and use its tethering mode to connect to the tablet and for data use a 1-2-3 Three network PAYG sim. They won’t work in dongles or Mifi devices but the ones I have work fine tethering from phones as this is how I feed data to my cars satnav device and £10 last me about 6 months using just data with no text or calls.

Another tethering possibility is the new EE PAYG sim where you top up the sim once and you get free 100Mb per month forever after. I’ve not looked too closely at the EE sim and there is a debate about whether you can just get a free sim or whether you have to get one with a phone but if you’re interested check it out.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I've ordered an EE SIM with the hope to make the most of the 100mb a month. The T&Cs say it's fine on SIM only. And at only £1 for an additional 100mb to be used within 7 days hopefully it'll be a good backup solution.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I'm asking for a friend who doesn't use the internet much at all. He just wants to be able to plug a dongle into a tablet and use it as and when. If he topped it up he wouldn't be using it much so is worried about the fact most he's looked at say top ups last one month. So I assume any data he had left would be wiped off and he'd have to top up again?

Are there any that carry data over? Also what's the best to go for? He's in Truro, Cornwall. I assume they all work on a tablet?

He could also get an unlocked mifi device, then there is the option of a Three mobile sim with 3GB of data which is valid for three months or until the 3GB have been used. Also EE do a 6GB of 4G data which lasts for 3 months or until data is used, will also work in a 3G mifi, you need to register the sim on the EE site, but with the three sim you do not.

GBg