Singers/Bands who hate one (or more) of their own songs?

OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure there are quite a few. I remember Eternal saying although it was the fans favourite, they hated Save Our Love.

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Didn't Cheryl Cole once say that she hated singing Love Machine with GA?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Saturdays mentioned their least favourite single is 'If This Is Love' in an interview last year.

Coldplay hate 'Speed of Sound' apparently and refuse to sing it live.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere once that Sandie Shaw hated Puppet On A String (her 1967 Eurovision entry).
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Professor Green said he's sick of I Need You Tonight.
    Forum Member
    Professor Green said he's sick of I Need You Tonight.

Aren't we all? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Marina from Marina and the Diamonds has said she loathes "Shampain" - She even sounded vindicated when it didn't chart well too!

Someone told Britney hates "Gimme More" because of that performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marina from Marina and the Diamonds has said she loathes "Shampain" - She even sounded vindicated when it didn't chart well too!

Someone told Britney hates "Gimme More" because of that performance.

Really? :eek:
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that Gaga doesnt like Telephone anymore.
  • LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debbie Harry doesn't like Maria or Denis. I love how it sounds like i'm talking about people :p

Scissor Sisters don't hate Fire With Fire, but have said they regret releasing it as a single. They wish they'd of released Invisible Light as the lead single, I think they should have gone with the title track, Night Work. It's so catchy!

I think it's quite well known that Avril Lavigne never wanted What The Hell to see the light of day.

Jack Peñate has pretty much disowned his debut album.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I know that Gaga doesnt like Telephone anymore.

I thought she just didn't like the video? Or parts of it...

If she doesn't like performing the song, I can totally see why - must be super tiring!

Elton John has stopped performing Candle in the wind as he's done it so many times. It's probs something to do with Diana as well though.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think James Blunt hates Your Beautiful!!!!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phil Collins kept "Match of the Day" off Genesis compilations for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam Gallagher on Wonderwall: "I can't f-- stand that f-- song. Every time I have to sing it I want to gag. Problem is, it was a big, big tune for us.”

Noel was never particularly fond of it either.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think REM disowned "Shiny Happy People" almost immediately after they recorded it!
    Simple Minds had a big hit with "Don't You (Forget About Me)" but were always dismissive of it. It's not really 'their' song I suppose.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she just didn't like the video? Or parts of it...

She hates both:

VIDEO:
    But while the video has many fans it seems Gaga herself is not one of them, telling Time Out: ‘I hate it so much.'

She added: ‘Beyonce and I are great together. But there are so many f**king ideas in that video.

'All I see in that video is my brain throbbing with ideas - and I wish I had edited myself a little bit more.’

SONG:
    And when Pop Justice recently asked her which if her songs she considers her “worst,” this was her reply;

Gaga: “I hate ‘Telephone’. Is that terrible to say? It’s the song I have the most difficult time listening to.”

Pop Justice: “Because it was offered to Britney first?”

Gaga: “Well that’s not exactly what happened, but I don’t want to delve into that. I could delve into it if you turn that (motions to recorder) off… But ultimately the mix and the process of getting the production finished was very stressful for me. So when I say it’s my worst song it has nothing to do with the song, just my emotional connection to it.”
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered why they record the songs if they don't like them. :confused:

Fair enough, if you've performed something so much that it's got on your nerves but that doesn't sound like the case in a lot of the above examples. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Really? :eek:

She said that she never liked it, even after writing it but her label made her put it on the album and then made her release it as a single. She said its a song better suited for someone like Kylie instead of her but felt she was proved right about it when it didn't break into the top 100.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That don't like 'I Found Heaven' and haven't performed it since their comeback. Gary wrote in his biography how he didn't get on with the guy who wrote/produced the song.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I think Kurt Cobain hated Smells Like Teen Spirit.
    And I think Slash hates Sweet Child O Mine.
    Usually though I think it's just down to it being over-exposed, especially compared to other songs of theirs that they would rather get the attention. They certainly don't want to be thought of as one hit wonders.

John Lennon was often highly critical of his own songs, especially in The Beatles, dismissing some as nonsense or junk.
    Although he particularly hated Run For Your Life.
    And he thought the recording of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds was embarrassing, he cringed hearing it on the radio.
    Forum Member
    I think James Blunt hates Your Beautiful!!!!

He's not the only one.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola Roberts hates Girls Aloud's 'The Loving Kind' and even nominated it for the Twenty Quid Invoice Prize at the 2009 'Popjustice £20 Music Prize'.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Nirvana started to refuse playing Smells Like Teen Spirit at concerts as it really annoyed how overplayed and popular it became.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotye said he is tired of hearing 'Somebody That I Used To Know', and Martin Gore from Depeche Mode said that he doesn't like 'What's Your Name?' and 'It's Called A Heart'
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bon Jovi are not fond of their second album material and have rarely if not ever performed any of the songs in any of their tours

Lisa Left eye lopez didn't like the TLC hit Creep. She was against it from the start and never it liked it lyrically but it was a battle she couldn't win on.

I am not sure if she hates it but Madonna avoids performing the song True blue live because it is about her marriage to Sean Penn, who of course was the love of her life and likely may still be.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bon Jovi are not fond of their second album material and have rarely if not ever performed any of the songs in any of their tours

Lisa Left eye lopez didn't like the TLC hit Creep. She was against it from the start and never it liked it lyrically but it was a battle she couldn't win on.

I am not sure if she hates it but Madonna avoids performing the song True blue live because it is about her marriage to Sean Penn, who of course was the love of her life and likely may still be.

I never knew that:o Creep is one of their definitive hits too!
    Definitely one of favourite TLC songs.
    Though I imagine Lisa didn't particularly enjoy recording most of CrazySexyCool as her input was massively scaled back compared to their debut.