Options

Romeo and Juliet 1996 version

computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So what are peoples opinons on this? I know it got a pretty mixed reception, but I quite enjoyed it when I first watched it and even more so now. I'm not really a huge Shakespear fan, or a fan of romance movies, but this just worked. The way it mixed a modern setting and soundtrack with Shakespearian dialogue was amazing.

This was Dicaprios real big break and a more enjoyable movie that Titanic in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an enjoyable watch, and the use of Shakespearean dialogue in a modern setting makes it stand out but other than that it's nothing more than Leo DiCaprio fan service. Also, I can't quite explain why but the film feels incredibly messy and poorly put together.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what are peoples opinons on this? I know it got a pretty mixed reception, but I quite enjoyed it when I first watched it and even more so now. I'm not really a huge Shakespear fan, or a fan of romance movies, but this just worked. The way it mixed a modern setting and soundtrack with Shakespearian dialogue was amazing.

This was Dicaprios real big break and a more enjoyable movie that Titanic in my opinion.

Not it wasn't. What's eating gilbert grape was his big break.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not it wasn't. What's eating gilbert grape was his big break.

And bagged him an Oscar nomination.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    And bagged him an Oscar nomination.

True, but it was Romeo + Juilet which first made him a teen heartthrob.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I thought it was a good film in its own right. That said, my all time favourite film interpretation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet just has to be Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 version - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_%281968_film%29
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    It's an enjoyable watch, and the use of Shakespearean dialogue in a modern setting makes it stand out but other than that it's nothing more than Leo DiCaprio fan service.
    I too enjoyed it very much. But you're doing Baz Lurhmann quite a disservice here. To say nothing of the text...
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched the film for a few years, but I was listening to the soundtrack not too long ago.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent soundtrack and is an intruging take on a Shakespeare classic
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shakespeare's plays are often staged in settings other than those they were written for. It has worked well in the theatre for years, so why shouldn't it work in the cinema? Even the Bard, himself, did it, albeit for practical reasons. His Roman plays might have featured the occasional toga among the leading players, but the bulk of the cast would have worn the typical clothing of the day, even their own clothes in the case of the bit part players.

Having written that, although Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet does capture a degree of the youthful exuberance of Shakespeare's original, for sheer beauty, Franco Zeffirelli's film takes some beating.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the movie was just fan service. Even with an oscar nom, I doubt Dicaprio was big enough to have fan service.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a brilliant film, i only wish i was old enough to watch it when studying romeo and juliet at school.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started Film Studies in about, I don't know now, 2002, and one of the films we had to repeatedly watch bits of and write about was this... I thought it was OK at first, I'd seen Strictly Ballroom and had enjoyed that. But before long it became one of THE most PROFOUNDLY IRRITATING films I have to this day of my life since endured... I can't watch BL's stuff now, now that I realise exactly how immaturely hyper-kinetic it is for the sake of it.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched the movie when we were studying Romeo and Juliet in school. I quite enjoyed the movie, I thought it was better than it was going to be and I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, I like how they sort of made it modern. All the girls in the class loved the topless scenes :D
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who found Claire Danes to be the stand out performance? For me she just encapsulated Juliet completely.

Good film, even better soundtrack though :D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in year 9 when it came out so coincidently the same year Romeo and Juliet is studied at school. So we all got a free trip to the cinema! :D I like it. A modern take that stayed true to the actual story and dialog itself.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it at the time. But watched it very recently and feel it hasn't aged well. It's perhaps Baz Luhrmann's best but then I hated Moulin Rouge and Great Gatsby.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I'm still sick of this film as we had to watch it when studying Shakespeare in high school (yrs ago).
    We must have watched it at least 10 times, first time it was ok - I found it a bit jarring being in a modern setting. 10th time I watched I never wanted to see even the dvd case again!
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who found Claire Danes to be the stand out performance? For me she just encapsulated Juliet completely.

Good film, even better soundtrack though :D

No, you're not the only one. Claire Danes is great in everything. Romeo & Juliet being no exception.

I love the movie, as I love all of Baz Luhrmann films. Haven't seen The Great Gatsby yet though.