Should ex-pats get the vote?

124»

Comments

• noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely this should be down to citizenship, rather than anything else? If you're a dual-citizen, why shouldn't you be eligible to vote in both countries you're citizen for? Surely, as if people say, that voting is a duty of every good citizen, then every citizen - regardless of location - should be able to vote?
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the rule was changed in 2000 reducing British overseas voting from 20years to 15years.
    The Tory government did promise last year to change the ruling to give a vote for life for overseas British citizens.
    So as I said in my original post circumstances can change. I don't think these people who are complaining about their rights are idiots but each to there own.
    The goverment have made a decision about who can vote, I personally feel it has anomalies in the decisions made, which don't make sense.
    As said before I don't think the vote from this minority will change anything and the assumption they will always vote remain, is just that.

Huge numbers went over 2004/2005.

I returned from France over 6 years ago but the ex-pats I knew and still know, would vote for out. There's a couple of posts on other threads which refer to people moving out because they didn't like the way Britain was going. Equally, the vast majority of French would have pulled out of either the EU or the euro, they hated the latter.
  • outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Unless they're Irish or a citizen of a Commonwealth country, they won't get the right to vote in UK general elections. Citizens of other EU countries (except Ireland, Cyprus and Malta) can't vote in UK general elections, and they can't vote in the referendum.

Oh, and they actually have to live in the UK of course. The so called "ex pats" do not.
    Just out of interest do the Citizens of the commenwealth who have the right to vote in the referendum have the rights of an " EU citizen" as a British Citizen does free movement etc ?this is not about how they would vote just interested.
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    Huge numbers went over 2004/2005.

I returned from France over 6 years ago but the ex-pats I knew and still know, would vote for out. There's a couple of posts on other threads which refer to people moving out because they didn't like the way Britain was going. Equally, the vast majority of French would have pulled out of either the EU or the euro, they hated the latter.
    Well I don't disagree with you that the expat/emigrant vote for remain especially amongst the older generation, who feel they are secure, is not a given. Same way as If you gave the vote to long term EU nationals living in the UK, it would be not be an automatic remain.
    There has to be rules and they have fallen where they are, but as a topic about voting rights and not who is in one camp or another I think that excluding British nationals who live in the EU just because of a time limit unfair(IMO)
    Edit, The rules about who can vote are are what they are simply because it was easier to maintain the system that was in place not for any other reason.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    But surely this should be down to citizenship, rather than anything else? If you're a dual-citizen, why shouldn't you be eligible to vote in both countries you're citizen for? Surely, as if people say, that voting is a duty of every good citizen, then every citizen - regardless of location - should be able to vote?

I've never understood "dual citizenship". Surely you can only be classed as belonging to one country. So therefore they should only be able to vote on behalf of the one country which is on their passport.
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    I've never understood "dual citizenship". Surely you can only be classed as belonging to one country. So therefore they should only be able to vote on behalf of the one country which is on their passport.
    The UK allow dual citizenship, some countries don't, I think it's becoming more commen nowadays as the world is more accessible, The U.K used to give a citizenship/passport to anyone born in the UK I think that rule has now changed.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've occasionally found myself in an ex-pat bar in Spain (usually it's the only place to watch the football or cricket) and you always get talking to someone who tells you that the reason they left Blighty is that there were too many foreigners back home who refused to integrate or learn the language.

Quite...and they started taking over shops to sell all that weird foreign food they like...said outside an ex pat owned "Britfood" store with banner announcing "we sell PG Tips, Marmite & Heinz Spaghetti Hoops" ;-)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Does that mean we'd have to take them all back?

That would be a downside for us. :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a downside for us. :D

Interesting report on the fears of ex-pats in Spain
    They talk about Syrians, but if Britain comes out of Europe they’ll have about two million pensioners coming back demanding to go on the NHS. But it won’t be as good.

Others touched on the most likely, most terrifying and most immediate double-whammy they would face: if Britain votes to leave, the pound will go down, making Spain more expensive, but British demand for their houses will disappear, making them effectively unsaleable.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/27/brexit-threat-to-spains-secret-little-britain

Could the NHS cope with 2 million extra elderly patients?