Mumsnet

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Yep is it something along the lines of dear son, dear daughter etc?

There were a lot of medical codes too. I worked out from context mc but no idea what ttc ( or something like that ) was.

Also found the thread titles confusing. One mentioned "rainbow babies" which i assumed was something to do with stillborn babies but the way it was worded made it seem as though rainbow babies meant something positive?

None of the thread titles were simple, they all seemed wordy and abstract.

If I remember rightly it's "darling son" and "darling daughter". Pass me the sick bag..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The reaction to Mumsnet by this forum is very similar to the reaction to The Daily Mail.

Everyone seems to hate it, yet they know things about it which can only come from reading it regularly and in great detail.

To defeat your enemy you should know your enemy. :D
  • LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be seen dead on there :D
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never ventured onto this site but have seen some posts referring to it.
    Anyone prepared to share their experiences good, bad or indifferent of Mumsnet or even Netmums?

Thanks in advance

FYI This is for research purposes.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you're right Hugh

me and stoatie often compare breastfeeding techniques on there

On the Daily Mail website?!? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always slightly bemused as to how certain groups, such as Mumsnet, manage to influence in the press and governments whereas others do not. I put it down to them lending amount of credibility (as part of the public) to which campaign(s) the government is trying to push at the time. No doubt when they have served this purpose they are just as ignored as the rest of the public seem to be.

Definitely worrying that an unelected self-selecting unrepresentative chatroom is treated as if it were a representative body. Or rather is it worse, just the founder? OK, they don't seem to give foaming at the mouth opinions but they are not a representative body, any more than than letters page of the Daily Mail or Guardian.

It also worries me that the Government thinks it is legitimate to commission the Mother's Union to produce a report into general social matters inclusing broadcasting (Bailey Report). By all means commission them, but acknowledge that they have a parenting stance, and an active parenting stance at that - parents who are happy with the status quo tend not to get involved in pressure groups.

The government should ensure balance by attaching health warnings and commissioning studies by other viewpoints.

It's like asking one religious organisation for their views, then treating the result as valid for all religions, plus non-practicing members plus the non-religious.
    DH, DD, and DS?:D

From my casual glances from years back I seem to remember those codes being used as follows: DD has done X, DD is corrupted forever more. With X being some action that, while possibly troublesome, would likely be considered insignificant by most.

I am told there is a help page explaining these but it does tend to be a sign of being "in" or "out".
    Cutsey terms include
    DD Dear Daughter
    DS Dear Son
    The use of uniform codes has the effect of harmonising comments, otherwise a range of colourful expressions would creep in like "the little b*****d has X" or "shortarse has Y", which would only lead to confusion about who is being discussed.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So i just went for a wander around mumsnet and they had a link to an article about why people need feminism...

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/files/2013/02/strapon.jpg

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2013/02/06/womcam-whiteboards-hit-rad-cam-in-radical-revolution/
  • racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i just went for a wander around mumsnet and they had a link to an article about why people need feminism...

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2013/02/06/womcam-whiteboards-hit-rad-cam-in-radical-revolution/

Read the article but the comments below the article just blew my mind...This was worth a look. Thanks for link :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you so much for posting this link. Some of the comments beneath are hilarious!
    I need feminism, because it gives me someone else to blame for my lack of talent, intelligence, ability, and character. Also because God did not make me pretty.

Genius! :D
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    These are people who refer to the act of sexual intercourse for reproductive purposes as "baby dancing".

BABY. DANCING.

Terrifying.

That's not Mumsnet. You would be derided for using that phrase. :D

I go on Mumsnet but don't use the DS DF etc. it's not compulsory.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on once for a read, Never again, **** that
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am registered, maybe I am a bit hard-faced but I've not found it as bad as it is made out to be?? I am a member of another forum (pregnancy / baby related) so I am kind of used to how it all works??

Basically no matter what you do, you are never a good enough Mum :o
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know mumsnet is derided because they are used as the voice of the 'ordinary' person' but I think I'd prefer that to any politician asking some DS users.

Can you imagine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know mumsnet is derided because they are used as the voice of the 'ordinary' person' but I think I'd prefer that to any politician asking some DS users.

Can you imagine

Well if they did, parent and toddler spaces in car parks would be outlawed for a start.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I always find the "do you think I'm being unreasonable" section gob smacking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MUMSNET is full of middle class loony snobs.

Netmums on the other hand seems quite normal - and they've produced a few good cookbooks. :cool:
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Love it, that and this place give the Daily Mail most of its 'old moan from Coventry' replies.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if they did, parent and toddler spaces in car parks would be outlawed for a start.

I don't mind that

mine is long past them

It's all about me :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemingly too much oestrogen flying around that place.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife has posted a few times on Mumsnet. She said it is very bitchy and cliquey.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I get the feeling Mumsnet is full of bored shitless middle-class twerps, waiting for hubby to come home to give them some normal conversation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are EXACTLY the women who I think post on MUMSNET. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VoxEtP8UE
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I get the feeling Mumsnet is full of bored shitless middle-class twerps, waiting for hubby to come home to give them some normal conversation.

Shop at planet organic
    Dress their kids in gender neutral clothes
    Make a song and dance about breast feeding in public
    In the NCT
    Are competitive about potty training and speech development
    Are in full make up for the school run
    Volunteer to be class reps and on the fund raising comittee
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you're right Hugh

me and stoatie often compare breastfeeding techniques on there

Pmsl.

Mumsnet is fascinating, in a horrid kind of way. A bit like watching the shark get the penguin in a wildlife film.

I used to be on a dog training forum that managed to get astonishingly heated and vitriolic. Someone posted on there that it was nothing compared to Mumsnet, so I started to read it.

For a while, I was quite addicted. I could not believe how very judgmental these people were.

DS is mild by comparison.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    MUMSNET is an organisation that is a form of mix of the 'illuminati', freemasons and a coven.

It is foretold that when their 'mensies' finally synchronise there will be untold powers unleashed on the World and much suffering of men.