The Gadget Show: World Tour – Q&A

Comments

• StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught a bit of this week's, I see they've still go all shouty-shouty to show excitement at the slightest thing. Maybe I imagined it, but did they actually whoop, holler and hi-five as they changed seats in car?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Following my post above its interesting to see that I’m not alone thinking that this as a spin off would be a good idea.
    I doubt there are enough gadgets out there. Unless both shows covered the same ones?
    petely wrote: »
    Actually, it's out of character for brits to complain.
    Are you new to Digital Spy?
    Well started watching yesterday's episode at 10:40pm. Finished watching at 10:48pm. Nuff said.
    I used to do that with the old show, but I'm finding I'm watching much more of this series. They mostly have the balance right. Not perfect, but better than it was, and better than Sky One rival.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I've not even seen this weeks show yet.

Any good?
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a viewer of The Gadget Show from the very start and I've watched the first three episodes of the world tour.

I have to say I have enjoyed each episode thoroughly!

I think each episode tops the previous one. The interview style the presenters now do was a bit odd I thought at first but I've 'grown' used to it I guess and the new graphics are brilliant.

It definitely seems a lot more of the focus has gone towards reviewing gadgets (I really want an all in one PC now!) while at the same time showing brilliant non consumer technology such as the rollerblade suit, water powered jetpack and that crazy mind control skateboard.

If I really, really had to nitpick about what I've seen so far, and I mean really nitpick, 'swap' the graphic which says who the name of the person on screen with graphic used to display the name of gadget. The 'gadget name' graphic doesn't have that line and circle 'attached' as viewers know where the person is on screen.

Honestly, that's the only thing that I'm not liking about this reboot. It's blooming marvellous!

Oh that and the fact that Channel 5 HD isn't on freesat but that's an entirely different matter not related to The Gadget Show production team.

Really looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes when I can (I believe the fourth has been broadcast, with two remaining)

Nice work The Gadget Show! Yes, it's said all five presenters aren't part of the show, but this big change is definitely a welcome one in my opinion and is working!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I've just seen this weeks show and I thought it was excellent. Interestingly my wife sat through it and she never used to watch before.

Best one yet this week.
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I have to say I'm start to like the Gadget Show world tour, ok first two episode wasn't that great but I do think is getting better special ep 4 and ep 5, but the question I what to know is how much money did Channel 5 give Gadget Show to do all this and sent Jason and Polly around the world testing new and old gadget?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi to all on Digital Spy

This is my first post on any public forum ever!

I have been compelled to write as i decided to search the internet for what has happened to my beloved Gadget Show and found this topic.

Firstly I would like to say that I have read the whole thread and would hope the Producers are still reading as this is the reason for my post I hope it may be heard.

I have read a lot of forums in the past so am aware of the type of views expressed on them but it disheartens me to see character assassinations and slurs on presenters who are only trying to do a good job, the choice of direction of the show I think would be above their pay grade. The fact that the Shows producers have asked for feedback is a good thing and I think we should show them the courtesy of a mature response.

So, on that note I would like to share my thoughts on the new direction.

In a nutshell, I don't like it.

Sorry not true, if I still had my old Gadget Show with this new offering as well I would like it. But I grieve for the family I lost.

I’ve always liked Jason’s enthusiasm he was my and my children’s favourite presenter but he definitely needed dilution with other presenters. Polly i was dubious about to begin with but I think has developed into the role and is undoubtedly a good presenter. So, in my opinion, the presenters are not a problem. So what is?

The Old Gadget Show was great it was a winning format that C5 could be proud of. The problem, as with all successful formats, was that the run was lengthened and lengthened to capitalise on the successful formula. Ideas became stale particularly the challenges (the good ones were great the bad, bad).

I was really impressed with the way the GS was going. I saw diversification into a brand. Gadget Show products, Gadget Show Live etc all good things.

However I feel this move to the GSWW is a step backwards. This is how I would have developed the “BRAND” all of which is open to debate.
      Reduce the old format to a run of 8 with good thought out challenges or maybe two extra challenge episodes. Have two core presenters with roving reporters segments and occasional meetups. I could go on about the various merits of each presenter but that is a personal preference. I think five different voices is good in an expanding brand. Intersperse the series runs with specials with a selection of presenters. Create a spin off series for gamers GS:Gamer and maybe others. I thought about having live to air shows that really utilise social media and crowdsourcing. I want the GS to be Cutting Edge if not Bleeding Edge. I notice that they posted that they don't have a dedicated social media employee on their team, really!! in this day and age i think that is essential. The GS should be the hub of gadget news. A more creative way of delivering the prize. I, for one, have always entered the prize by text (yes by text), I feel it is my way of supporting the show. It IS a commercial enterprise and the prize earns and justifies the shows existence. I do however agree with the comments about the argos catalogue and applaud the last attempt to make the prize more exciting with the house of prizes. I’m not sure what the deal is with the suppliers of the prizes so cannot suggest options but you must try harder to make it entertaining. Please, Please, Please improve the web site. I want to be able to see gadgets episode by episode. If i see a gadget on Dave and it is on series 2 episode 2 I want to be able to see it on your site even if gadgets are discontinued or obsolete. If I can already I can’t find it. Do you earn money of the site? If not why not? Start using affiliate links! this is the way a lot of commercial sites work. Earn money from your website. Do you do a magazine? I'm not talking about the hard copy variety. Have you seen Apple’s newsstand, an ideal opportunity to deliver. This is an ideal vehicle for detailed reviews on cameras (Jon?) What is going to happen to gadget show live? Two presenters will not be enough.

There was huge potential to develop beyond the show which I think has been missed.

What do I like about the new format?

Love.
    The slow-mo gadgets to camera and the slick production.

Hate
    The pieces to camera. We expect “Truth” from review programmes, these seem staged so present themselves as “Fake”.
    I have lost my family and gained excitable god-children.

These are only my opinions so feel free to shoot them down or support them the only thing I ask is be courteous.

Many Thanks

Seph
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SephTalbot wrote: »
    This is my first post on any public forum ever!

And what an excellent post it was with some terrific ideas. Hope the producers do manage to find this thread again and read your post :)
  • norwichrednorwichred Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Well done Seph! Jason has approved your post. Congratulations ;)
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gadget Show Christmas event in ExCel has been announced, the presenters will be the show's presenters plus, yet to be announced special guests..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    norwichred wrote: »
    Well done Seph! Jason has approved your post. Congratulations ;)

Sarcasm duly noted .. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't see this week show so I can't comment on that but I notice that is NOT on next Monday, is this because is Bank Holiday Monday next week and the think people will be watching jubilee, or have series finish know which mean it was only on 6 weeks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Just the 6. There will be another 10 later in the year.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the final episode and a few things were good. The save a phone bag, which worked brilliantly, the 3D printer, seen on Sunday Brunch a few weeks ago and the e-readers. Probably the best show of the series, but the extreme test or challenges are one way of trying to encompass a lifetime of use, such as the suitcases, but the silliness gets a bit annoying.

One challenge from the last series, which I thought was entirely plausible and interesting was when Ortis learnt to fly a Cesna on a computer game and then successfully flew it for real without any proper tuition. More of this would be great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I missed the outcome of the phone drying bag did it work ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Didn't really like the new changes but they did grow on me so a thumbs up, but only 6 episodes though :mad:
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From DS

The Walking Dead continued with 815k for Channel 5, with The Gadget Show: World Tour
    and Robson's Extreme Fishing Challenge taking 686k (3.2%) and 1.02m (4.6%) respectively.

That is not the best at all.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I don't have time to reply / add my thoughts right now, but I'd echo what Jason said about that being an excellent and very constructive post by Seph above. Some good ideas there for the producers to consider. :)
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was improved last night, certainly on the first couple of episodes, perhaps the fact they didnt have to do silly things to justify being on the other side of the world helped them here.

I think when the best episode of the globetrotting series is the one without globetrotting it's possibly a hint to rethink things.

Still to many yeah baby's , and the competition thing still irks.

And let me be specific about the last point, its not the 'competition' thats a problem, people like them, competitions are good. Its wasting 7 minutes , or getting on for 12% or so of actual airtime, reading out a list of gadgets thats the problem.

I can read an argos catalogue in my own time for that sort of thing. It may as well be dead air for all the entertainment value it offers.

When the prize list is so long, there simply needs to be a better way of presenting it than what they have.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the prize list is so long, there simply needs to be a better way of presenting it than what they have.

But I suspect they have to read each item out to be able to give it away as a prize (at no cost to them). It is really annoying though.

The Gadget Show Live in London looks interesting. But how will they do the arena show with just Jason and Polly?
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffle wrote: »
    I missed the outcome of the phone drying bag did it work ?
    Apparently so yes. The phone booted up. I don't think we saw them making a call with it though - I'd be interested to know of the mic or speakers were damaged, something I'm not sure the bag treatment would have been able to fix.

RE: the show - I actually prefer it with a smaller team of presenters, although I'm not saying the two they picked would have been my choice. The idea of geographically anchoring each episode is good on paper but I'm not sure it really works - you get very disparate shows out of it. Something like this would work but instead of theming each episode about a country, theme it about a particular topic i.e. an outdoor tech episode, a water tech episode etc.. You could almost have used all the same content over the series, just editing it together differently.

Overall, It didn't really strike me as being much better than the 'old style' show, but i can't say I honestly thought it was particularly worse either. Still worth an hour of my time on a Monday night, but at least partly because there's not that much else on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching last episode ep 6, I thorugh is was best one of series, let hope when they return of other 10 episode is like the one on Monday, Also that The Gadget Show Live in London I wonder if it only going to be Jason and Polly they or will they have Suzi, Ortis and John they too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. or will they have Suzi, Ortis and John they too?

No they won't. Suzi tweeted last night that she won't be there. Apparently the advertising is somewhat misleading so I assume people were assuming she was doing it.

I think GSL Live a few months ago was her, Ortis and Jon's last contracted commitment to the Gadget Show. And considering how things ended, I doubt very much they want to go back in any form - even if asked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That phone saver bag was a bit of an expensive way of buying a sealable plastic bag and some silica gel sachets. I've read that uncooked rice does a good job of removing moisture too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    And considering how things ended, I doubt very much they want to go back in any form - even if asked.

Absolutely!! They were treated like something you step in so there is no way they would go back!!