Good cross-platform browser?

Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
Forum Member
I've recently switched to the HTC One from the iPhone 5 but I still have a Mac and an iPad. I'm used to using Safari on the Mac mostly, but now that I'm involved with Android I'd like to try and find a browser that has Mac, iOS and Android versions but I'm not having much luck so far. Chrome would be the obvious choice but I find that it's really buggy on the Mac, and ideally I only want to use one browser so that I don't have to continually import and export bookmarks and passwords.

Are there any good ones that I can use on all my devices?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrome is certainly not buggy on the mac.
    i use it exclusively on a mac and never had any issues with it at all.

chrome is your answer for all devices.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconded, Chrome is really the only choice for cross-browser. I use it as my sole browser on my mac, it's open 100% of the time I'm using my computer and I havent come across any bugs.
  • Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Really? Chrome seems really bad for me, very slow. It's the only program I have a problem with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holte139 wrote: »
    Really? Chrome seems really bad for me, very slow. It's the only program I have a problem with.

you have a system issue then.
    what mac do you have ?
    Forum Member
    A 21 inch desktop Mac that's running 10.8.4. It's from the mid-2010 range and it's got 4GB of RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 21 inch desktop Mac that's running 10.8.4. It's from the mid-2010 range and it's got 4GB of RAM.

chrome should run fine.
    i think you need to investigate why chrome is apparently running so poorly?

do you have lots of third party extensions installed?

can you describe what you mean by being "very slow".
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    realistically the experience of running a browser on a phone compared to that of a desktop is going to be so different that they may as well be different browsers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    realistically the experience of running a browser on a phone compared to that of a desktop is going to be so different that they may as well be different browsers.

except that chrome on a desktop and on mobile is very much similar - with the ability to share bookmarks and open tabs between all devices.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    except that chrome on a desktop and on mobile is very much similar - with the ability to share bookmarks and open tabs between all devices.

I realize you can share book marks but in what way are they similar?

How is chrome on the desktop more similar to chrome mobile than any other mobile browser?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realize you can share book marks but in what way are they similar?

How is chrome on the desktop more similar to chrome mobile than any other mobile browser?

your attempt at trying to start a pointless debate is futile.
    nice try though ;)

anyone who uses chrome on multiple platforms will tell you what a similar user experience it is. i can only assume that you don't, thus why you are asking such a question.
    Forum Member
    your attempt at trying to start a pointless debate is futile.
    nice try though ;)

anyone who uses chrome on multiple platforms will tell you what a similar user experience it is. i can only assume that you don't, thus why you are asking such a question.

I'm not trying to start a pointless debate. i don't know exactly who you think you are or who you think you are talking to. if you think i am trolling, posting off topic or other wise not in keeping with the rules then report me. otherwise wind your neck in.

I am simply saying to the OP that the experience of running a mobile browser is sufficiently different to that of running a desktop, and the browsers themselves are sufficiently different that it doesn't automatically follow that the best browser for one environment may not be the best browser for another. features that you like in one environment may not translate well to another environment or even exist.

If you disagree with that then fine. you are free to say that. what you are not free to do is accuse me of trying to start a pointless debate. you angry little man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not trying to start a pointless debate. i don't know exactly who you think you are or who you think you are talking to. if you think i am trolling, posting off topic or other wise not in keeping with the rules then report me. otherwise wind your neck in.

I am simply saying to the OP that the experience of running a mobile browser is sufficiently different to that of running a desktop, and the browsers themselves are sufficiently different that it doesn't automatically follow that the best browser for one environment may not be the best browser for another. features that you like in one environment may not translate well to another environment or even exist.

If you disagree with that then fine. you are free to say that. what you are not free to do is accuse me of trying to start a pointless debate. you angry little man.

i believe name calling is against the forum rules :D

i do disagree with you. and i will continue to do so.
    i know who i am, and believe it or not i also know who you are :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cross platform browsers are as much a thing of the past.

There is only IE allowed on Windows phone and Windows RT, whilst the IOS restricts everyone to using a throttled internal Webkit engine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Cross platform browsers are as much a thing of the past.

There is only IE allowed on Windows phone and Windows RT, whilst the IOS restricts everyone to using a throttled internal Webkit engine.

the OP is using android though, so chrome is the obvious cross platform solution, integrating very well together.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the OP is using android though, so chrome is the obvious cross platform solution, integrating very well together.

Yes, but maybe the new term should be multi-platform.
    I tended to think cross platform as being available everywhere.

Surely there are sync apps to work around this increasing problem.
    Forum Member
    chrome should run fine.
    i think you need to investigate why chrome is apparently running so poorly?

do you have lots of third party extensions installed?

can you describe what you mean by being "very slow".

It's just very unresponsive compared to Safari and Firefox, and also when it starts up a sound effect plays. It's the same sound effect that indicates when you've deleted a bookmark from the bookmarks bar, but it plays without me having deleted anything.

I have seen a browser called Maxthon that works on the Mac and has an iOS and Android client, does anyone have any experiences with that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just very unresponsive compared to Safari and Firefox, and also when it starts up a sound effect plays. It's the same sound effect that indicates when you've deleted a bookmark from the bookmarks bar, but it plays without me having deleted anything.

you can clear all the chrome settings in preference, suggest trying that.