The "All New" Gadget Show - 5th of November

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it lost a truck-load of viewers (800k) between the first two eps; 1: 2.51m, 2: 1.7m.

.. because your precious has never lost any viewers ? ;)

But then we've had that "chat" already :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Quick nod in the direction of last nights programme. I thought it was very good.

I think polly deserves some credit here, she's certainly a very competent presenter.

Loved that ball with the cameras in, thought it was a daft idea at first but the photo it took was amazing.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    .. because your precious has never lost any viewers ? ;)
    I never said it didn't, but that wasn't the point. This first series of SF:GM dropped 800k viewers between the first two eps!

Why aren't you making as big a thing of it as you do when that happens to TGS? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why aren't you making as big a thing of it as you do when that happens to TGS? :confused:

Because I expected it. It was never going to maintain 2 million viewers, just as TGS never maintains the numbers it gets in it's opening episode of each new series.

But then it's consistently pulled in around the 1.1 - 1.2 million mark for the run so far against TGS's 750k-900k, so I think it's clear which show is more popular. Obviously i'd be curious to see what the numbers are when all the PVR recordings are added in, but I can't imagine it would be a huge difference.
    Forum Member
    But then it's consistently pulled in around the 1.1 - 1.2 million mark for the run so far against TGS's 750k-900k, so I think it's clear which show is more popular.
    You're comparing a show that's been on for how many years against the first few shows in a brand new series? Let's see if it even gets a second, then we'll talk about how popular it is :rolleyes:

What you have to remember is that even the least popular programme on C4 (ie #30 in the BARB charts; COME DINE WITH ME: IRELAND (SAT 1828) 1.23m) got more viewers than all but the Top Ten shows on C5; and 6 of those were films!

So it's not really a fair comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's not really a fair comparison.

Of course it's a fair comparison. Two shows about the same subject matter in competing timeslots ?

And let's not forget, this is the "All New" Gadget Show as well ;)
    Forum Member
    On two vastly different channels with different demographics of viewers and with one rarely getting anything like the viewing figures of the other on any show? No. Not fair at all.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shrieking is just embarrassing now. Yes some 'gadgets' are unusual, but to continually scream will not persuade people to rush out to buy or experience it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On two vastly different channels with different demographics of viewers and with one rarely getting anything like the viewing figures of the other on any show? No. Not fair at all.

Oh go on, please end that with "My Precious". And do the voice as well ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joking aside (and being too late to edit the post .. sorry), it's almost like you're implying that your average channel 4 viewer who's interested in gadgets and tech wouldn't watch the gadget show and vice versa.

I'd wager that any tech fan would seek out a tech show, regardless of whatever channel it's on. Sure, they'd most likely PVR it, but they'd still watch it.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wager that any tech fan would seek out a tech show, regardless of whatever channel it's on. Sure, they'd most likely PVR it, but they'd still watch it.
    This is all true but what about the people who are Stephen Fry fans (I'm sure many such people exist, look at his twitter following) but not particularly gadget fans? They'd watch his show but not at all be interested in TANGS.

I'd suggest the reverse as well but I honestly can't believe anyone is a fan of Jason Bradbury.

It is, to a degree, comparing apples to oranges. Both are fundamentally the same 'class of stuff', yes but they have enough differences to make direct comparisons dubious at best. We will know if the Fry show has been considered a success if another series is commissioned. That's better indicator than comparing simple viewing numbers.
  • Cade FosterCade Foster Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I'd suggest the reverse as well but I honestly can't believe anyone is a fan of Jason Bradbury.

I stopped watching the Gadget show when they got rid of the others Jason Bradbury is a really terrible presenter more intrested in hisself cannot get why people think he is good.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting Suzie is now going to be doing F1 over at BBC.
    Dallas Campbell is also over there to.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting Suzie is now going to be doing F1 over at BBC.
    Dallas Campbell is also over there to.

She used to do Moto GP at the BBC so not a huge change there, an obvious choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps more interesting is the response of the rest of the former/current group of presenters to the news. There seem to have been genuine congratulations from all of them to her on Twitter, which suggests no lingering animosity between them, if there ever actually was any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps more interesting is the response of the rest of the former/current group of presenters to the news. There seem to have been genuine congratulations from all of them to her on Twitter, which suggests no lingering animosity between them, if there ever actually was any.

I wouldn't read anything in to that to be honest - it seemed more of a professional curtesy than anything, and was further evidenced by Suzi's rather simple "Thankyou" to Jason and Polly. There's been zero interaction between them over Twitter (that we've seen, obviously) since Suzi left the show.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the rumours and hoped it wasn't true. My favourite sport about to be ruined by having that woman on it. For the first time, i'm actually thinking of chucking my hard earned on a Sky Sports subscription
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard the rumours and hoped it wasn't true. My favourite sport about to be ruined by having that woman on it. For the first time, i'm actually thinking of chucking my hard earned on a Sky Sports subscription
    So let me get this straight.. You didn't do that when the BBC lost the rights to show half the races live and tried to sell that as an improvement but you are thinking of doing that because the person who reads the autocue for a few minutes before and after the race has changed. From someone who was previously a children's TV presenter, to the person who was previously the host of the BBC's bike racing coverage.

Right. OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight.. You didn't do that when the BBC lost the rights to show half the races live and tried to sell that as an improvement but you are thinking of doing that because the person who reads the autocue for a few minutes before and after the race has changed. From someone who was previously a children's TV presenter, to the person who was previously the host of the BBC's bike racing coverage.

Right. OK.
    YES!

Didn't do it last season but thought seriously about it. I did discover the way to watch all the races live but that's another story for another thread.

You say read the autocue as if he didn't have style, grace, humor, made mistakes and have banter with his fellow presenters and crew, which made it fun and interesting to watch. He was a novice but never hid the fact but he was a huge fan of the sport and keen to learn

You obviously have no idea how much i don't like that woman and haven't read any of my posts on here about her over the years. Also, I bloody hate bikes so that really has zero bearing on whatever shes done before apart from the Gadget Show because I wouldn't have been watching it or her.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't read anything in to that to be honest....
    I would certainly read more into it than any rumours and interpretations of their falling-out; which is all we've ever had posted on here.

If they had genuinely fallen-out do you seriously think they bother following each other on Twitter. etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had genuinely fallen-out do you seriously think they bother following each other on Twitter. etc?

They stopped following each other when the format of the show changed and she, Ortis and Jon left - you can check her profile if you don't believe me.

(She follows me, for the record ;))

So I stand by my original statement that it was no more than a professional curtesy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously have no idea how much i don't like that woman and haven't read any of my posts on here about her over the years.
    Wow. You sound really well balanced.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the show when they kept messing around with the presenters and the fact that most weeks it would be the same old thing yet again. Phones/tablets/tv's/cameras/gaming and they'd do some outdoor activity which usually involved going to some army training camp and trying their hardest to trash a laptop. Very rarely would they do kitchen or domestic gadgets or tools or hi fi equipment or sports gadets. It was nearly all the same things every series.

Dallas never seemed to gel with the others. He was obviously too scientific and too serious for the show and it wasn't until Ortis came along that there seemed to a be more stability but I still preferred to see Jon a bit more of a main presenter. Pushing him to the back and cutting his airtime down seemed a bit agist to be honest. It just felt like they were trying to slowly get rid of the oldies. I much preferred the 3 of them but have to agree with others that Jason is a bit up himself and it's mostly all about him. I find him quite smug and he thinks his word is God. If Jason says it's no good or whatever then he thinks everyone else is wrong who refuses to agree with him. Equally if Jason thinks the ipad or whatevet is the next great thing then he will slate anyone who says otherwise. To be honest I find him a bit cocky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. You sound really well balanced.
    So anyone that doesn't like a presenter on telly is unbalanced?

All you people on here that don't like Jason and Polly, join the unbalanced club, the admission's free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So anyone that doesn't like a presenter on telly is unbalanced?
    "Doesn't like" to the point of paying £180 a year to avoid watching them, rather than switching to the relevant channel when the race starts and then switching to something else when it's finished? Err.. yes, frankly. It's a bit weird.