*****The 100 - US Pace*****

Comments

• Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is basically 90210 meets Elysium meets After Earth.

Just as I thought. Nice FX, pretty people, and stupid situations.

Doubt I'll last the season, even if this does last a season.

Well it's The CW. Every show except Arrow is "90210 meets xyz"

Sometimes it works - Reign is just so ridiculous it works fantastically.
    Sometimes it doesn't - never really found the appeal in Vampire Diaries.

Given that Revolution is unfortunately not going to last, there's room for an non-zombie apocalypse show so it might be worth a chance, based on the opener, it could do well.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is basically 90210 meets Elysium meets After Earth.
    That's a nice succinct description.
    It does appear to be very "BBC3" - not exactly challenging or original - and those 20-somethings are probably the least convincing under-18's I've seen.
    I've watched enough shallow programming to last a lifetime, so I can get by nicely without any more of this show.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Well it's The CW. Every show except Arrow is "90210 meets xyz"

Sometimes it works - Reign is just so ridiculous it works fantastically.
    Sometimes it doesn't - never really found the appeal in Vampire Diaries.

Given that Revolution is unfortunately not going to last, there's room for an non-zombie apocalypse show so it might be worth a chance, based on the opener, it could do well.

But the vampires diaries does work. It's an incredibly financial successful franchise. Whether you never found the appeal, you need to view it from a different persepctivr as to why it has worked so well. It's become much more than a young woman torn between two vampire brothers since the first season. Reign is just a teen waterdown version of The tudors but set in a different time.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the 2nd episode and still don't like it. It would have made more sense if the 'grounders' were cannibals: but this is the CW.

I still don't get how 24 nations morphed into Americans. It would have been interesting to have cultural divergence. We can see now that we are heading back to a cold war. In this kind of situation nations would hold on to their national values and characteristics. It would have given the show an extra dimension.

That one girl saying she had been locked up for 16 years. She would be a basket case! It is just so unbelievable. I can't see how this is going to last a number of seasons becausevthey are severely limited with what they can do.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Like I say, *borderline* godawful ;)

I'll watch another couple, just to see if they come up with anything interesting on the old Earth.

But I must say I was less than impressed by another bunch of too pretty testosterone charged American teens - It's always Septics, no other nationality has survived, apparently - behaving stupidly.

Also, what was going on with the declaration that the grown ups in space didn't know what was happening on the surface? If they have the tech to support life indefinitely, and send 100 kids down to terra firma, then they'd have instruments to track the surface conditions, and could send down a probe or three to check things out. :confused:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Also, what was going on with the declaration that the grown ups in space didn't know what was happening on the surface? If they have the tech to support life indefinitely, and send 100 kids down to terra firma, then they'd have instruments to track the surface conditions, and could send down a probe or three to check things out. :confused:

Not to defend the series as it does look rubbish, but they sent the kids down so that they would have less people on the space station and more oxygen to survive.

Using them to test the surface was just a bonus.

But I agree they should have had the technology to probe the surface from the station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I agree they should have had the technology to probe the surface from the station.
    Indeed. Esp. since they can "drop" a capsule on parachutes from orbital heights and speeds - straight into a tree-lined clearing :D without it getting snagged a hundred feet up. Even if they *did* get the wrong location, they'd still have had some high-res imagery of the area
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I will watch the second ep but if it annoys me as much as he first did I will give up.

I hated every character and want them all to die. Typical CW Teen crap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I will watch the second ep but if it annoys me as much as he first did I will give up.

I hated every character and want them all to die. Typical CW Teen crap

Yes I know what you mean, none of them are very likeable and in most cases very dis likable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I watched the second episode and I think they all should just die, and on the space station they must be killing all the ugly kids and just eating them soylent green style.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get how 24 nations morphed into Americans. It would have been interesting to have cultural divergence.

To be fair, they do seem to have nuked the rest of the planet - so that bit I can get.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    didn't see that end coming, probably should have knew the little girl was going to do something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    didn't see that end coming, probably should have knew the little girl was going to do something.

I found that ending a bit disturbing. I would have expected the sister to be psychotic after being locked up most of her life. I just think they are trying to do a teenage version of TWD/Hannibal/the following.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »

As soon as Lizzie told him she thought she had a way to make the nightmares stop, you could see it coming, albeit it was only a second later. I wonder if that's from the source material, because it looked like a total rip from The Walking Dead.

Of course it doesn't work as well as the Walking Dead because the character had no previous development and was parachuted into the episode.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you're saying it's ripping off TWD with that scene considering it was most likely filmed before the TWD episode even aired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I don't know why you're saying it's ripping off TWD with that scene considering it was most likely filmed before the TWD episode even aired.

Pretty much everyone identified that Lizzie was bat shit crazy from S04E09 on TWD for certain and a lot of speculation was going on from her appearances in the first half of the season. So that's mid Feb which is probably not far off the filming schedule on a US show which are usually still in production while airing.

Everyone in The 100 appears to be in the 16/17 age group, yeah often hard to tell as all the actors are mid 20s but there don't appear to be any "kids" in either the main or background cast. Then suddenly a 12yo girl turns up and, hey, she's bat shit crazy.

If its in the source material, fine, if not, I do suspect its at the very least lifting from Lizzie Samuels if not clearly stealing a storyline.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much everyone identified that Lizzie was bat shit crazy from S04E09 on TWD for certain and a lot of speculation was going on from her appearances in the first half of the season. So that's mid Feb which is probably not far off the filming schedule on a US show which are usually still in production while airing.

Everyone in The 100 appears to be in the 16/17 age group, yeah often hard to tell as all the actors are mid 20s but there don't appear to be any "kids" in either the main or background cast. Then suddenly a 12yo girl turns up and, hey, she's bat shit crazy.

If its in the source material, fine, if not, I do suspect its at the very least lifting from Lizzie Samuels if not clearly stealing a storyline.

Yes, but they didn't make the girl batshit crazy, they turned her into a killer straight away which would have been before TWD aired the episode she killed in.

In the comics the characters are boys and the storyline, whilst similar, varies slightly. So The 100 really isn't ripping it off at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Yes, but they didn't make the girl batshit crazy, they turned her into a killer straight away which would have been before TWD aired the episode she killed in.

In the comics the characters are boys and the storyline, whilst similar, varies slightly. So The 100 really isn't ripping it off at all.

It's already ripping off Elysium and After Earth.
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Janae from Neighbours again. She was one of my favourite characters. And she doesn't look any different either, that was years ago she was in it. And still looking good ;-)

Eliza Taylor (Clarke - main girl character) btw if you didn't watch Neighbours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote: »
    Good to see Janae from Neighbours again. She was one of my favourite characters. And she doesn't look any different either, that was years ago she was in it. And still looking good ;-)

Eliza Taylor (Clarke - main girl character) btw if you didn't watch Neighbours

It's strange, as I haven't watched Neighbours since it went to Channel 5 but I remember the Timmins and its almost comical to have an actress playing a character 1 year older some 8 years later.

I really don't understand the US TV industries apparent refusal to cast at a believable age, I guess it's not as bad as the original 90210 but it kind of destroys any believability in storytelling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange, as I haven't watched Neighbours since it went to Channel 5 but I remember the Timmins and its almost comical to have an actress playing a character 1 year older some 8 years later.

I really don't understand the US TV industries apparent refusal to cast at a believable age, I guess it's not as bad as the original 90210 but it kind of destroys any believability in storytelling.

I think they use adult actors because of the content. I have just watched the new episode and I am amazed how violent it was. One boy we saw hanging. Although he was eventually cut down he was struggling. It was horrific. Plus that 12 year old girl kills herself. I have just seen the final ratings for the episode and it has gone down to a 0.5. I think you can accept violence in the Originals etc because it is fantasy. I suppose you could say this is fantasy but it is about human beings in the future.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that bigs me about the series is the whole ejecting into space and now the banishment thing. IMHO if you've all decided someone deserves to die then have the guts, the stones (?), the [insert better word] to just go up to them and kill them quickly and cleanly. Ejection into space and banishment into the unknown feels like unnecessary torture. (and yes I do know this is just a tv show :) )

As for the little girl jumping to her death - maybe in a later ep they'll show she landed on a huge inflatable crash mat left over from before. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    One thing that bigs me about the series is the whole ejecting into space and now the banishment thing. IMHO if you've all decided someone deserves to die then have the guts, the stones (?), the [insert better word] to just go up to them and kill them quickly and cleanly. Ejection into space and banishment into the unknown feels like unnecessary torture. (and yes I do know this is just a tv show :) )

As for the little girl jumping to her death - maybe in a later ep they'll show she landed on a huge inflatable crash mat left over from before. :)

If you have ever looked at the American justice system it is based on revenge. Hence you keep someone on death row for decades and then kill them. They used to electrocute people: Ethel Rosenberg (convicted of spying in the 50s with her husband), was a small woman and the contraption on her head did not fit. She had to be electrocuted twice and the commentator said she deserved it and would go to hell!

Now they use lethal injection but that has also gone wrong in some cases and the person has suffered. That actually is what many want. They want people to suffer. In this show it is the same. The authorities want people to be afraid so they will tow the line.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Go USA, right ?! ;-)

If the society has said "torture is great cos it'll deter others from killing" then fine... I might not agree but they're doing exactly what they said they'd do. But this whole banishment, well X-Neighbours gal made a big deal of "killing is wrong, we mustn't kill him" but imho kicking him out of the group to be either eaten by mutant deer (which are all carnivores) or staked by the Grounders then carved up as a sacrifice, well that feels like killing-him by proxy. (I think that's the right word, right ?!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they use adult actors because of the content.

I thought the reason for using mid-20's actors to "play" teens was because it's teens who the show is aimed at. It's generally the case that the intended audience of a show is revealed by who the dominant characters are.
    [confession time: I only watched ep #1 of this, but I come back from time to time to see if it's improved ]

Most teens are spotty, awkward, socially inept, and either fat or gawky (as are most adults :)) - just see what "real" people are like on quizzes, phone-ins and vox-pops. But they don't want to look in a mirror when they watch TV: they want the idealised, aspirational image of themseves and they want to identify with those images and latch on in a "I'm like that" way.