*****The 100 - US Pace*****

Comments

• Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Honestly, I completely missed that. I thought it was that other asian looking fella. Where/When was it highlighted that Kane was involved?

It wasn't. My post maybe wasn't clear.

It revealed that it was the second in command who approached Bellamy, I looked it up and he's called Shumway. That this character wasn't even known by name, is another indicator they are completely changing their planned approach. They've ditched Kane as the baddy (possibly from the criticism of how telegraphed he was) and now introduce a brand new character (the former president) and a background character Shumway as being the plotters.

Or next week Kane will be back as the main baddy and you'll never hear about the former president again (they do have form for this "introduce a new interesting character and then get rid of it immediately" with Charlotte and the Fixer woman).
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    It wasn't. My post maybe wasn't clear.
    Ah, I see. Thought I'd missed something crucial then.
    It revealed that it was the second in command who approached Bellamy, I looked it up and he's called Shumway. That this character wasn't even known by name, is another indicator they are completely changing their planned approach. They've ditched Kane as the baddy (possibly from the criticism of how telegraphed he was) and now introduce a brand new character (the former president) and a background character Shumway as being the plotters.

Or next week Kane will be back as the main baddy and you'll never hear about the former president again (they do have form for this "introduce a new interesting character and then get rid of it immediately" with Charlotte and the Fixer woman).
    The thing is, the episodes are shot well in advance of us seeing them, so I doubt they're changing things because of how they're being portrayed. It's more likely that they either haven't decided what they're doing yet, or that they're stretching it out somewhat.

The episode last week where we saw Shumway as the plotter was done in a flashback scene that related specifically to the situation on the ground (brother protecting sister). It's there, and we know about it. They'll probably further touch on it if/when the adults make it to the ground, and Bellamy is confronted by Jaha.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read some reviews of the book to see if the show is following it. It is very much like TVD. There are going to be other books but the writer must have sold the rights so the show can change things as they like.

In the book both Clarke's parents are dead. Finn doesn't exist at all. It seems that in the book it is Bellamy who has a crush on Clarke. His character is like Finn and a character called Graham is the one who is like Bellamy on the show. The fourth main character is left out completely. I think that is probably because she remains on the ship so that would indicate that they plan to ditch the space station completely. Having a set in the woods would mean the production costs could be kept to a minimum.

I spotted the name Ricky Whittle in the credits. I remembered it from somewhere and then I saw him as the grounder. As in Hollyoaks his main source of talent is his body so will be interesting to see how much dialogue they give him in the future!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. Thought I'd missed something crucial then.

The thing is, the episodes are shot well in advance of us seeing them, so I doubt they're changing things because of how they're being portrayed.

The episode where the girl killed the chancellor's son was given to tv reviewers back in January, so like you said, they were filmed a while ago.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    The episode where the girl killed the chancellor's son was given to tv reviewers back in January, so like you said, they were filmed a while ago.

That's true to an extent. But they can still edit what is in an episode, if audience reaction or the network want changes.
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the premise but the acting has been awful and the outlook is not good for further seasons. there is the potential to explore what has happened on earth whilst the others have been in space but I bet that won't happen. We will be offered more teen drama badly acted out by 20something actors and nothing more. We need a grown up sci-fi drama that isn't GoT or TWD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the premise but the acting has been awful and the outlook is not good for further seasons. there is the potential to explore what has happened on earth whilst the others have been in space but I bet that won't happen. We will be offered more teen drama badly acted out by 20something actors and nothing more. We need a grown up sci-fi drama that isn't GoT or TWD.

I take it you mean genre rather than specifically sci-fi if your examples are GoT and TWD. You should try Reign, just treaty it as a fantasy drama instead of a historical one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the new episode. I honestly don't know what they are doing. Clarke and Bellamy each have hallucinations. What is supposed to be causing that: perhaps an invisible gas? Also saw the promo for next week and Ricky Whittle ( ex Hollyoaks) speaks with an American accent. He is English, Bellamy is played by an ex Neighbours Aussie and others are Canadian. It would have made so much more sense to have different nationalities to give a bit of colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the new episode. I honestly don't know what they are doing. Clarke and Bellamy each have hallucinations. What is supposed to be causing that: perhaps an invisible gas? Also saw the promo for next week and Ricky Whittle ( ex Hollyoaks) speaks with an American accent. He is English, Bellamy is played by an ex Neighbours Aussie and others are Canadian. It would have made so much more sense to have different nationalities to give a bit of colour.

It's really flailing around. I think to an extent they really don't have enough storylines to sustain it. They don't want the grounders answers to be revealed and the only real plotline they have is whatever conspiracy is going to be revealed on the arc.

The hallucinations were due to some food they got on the ground although it looked like it was being put into rations. Made little sense as it played out tbh, they shooting of the scenes clearly indicated it was the rations but then Octavia gets Lincoln to tell her what it is.

I don't understand how this show is beating out Reign on the CW. When you compare the difference in plotting, consistency and acting and how much better Reign is, to see The 100 creeping ahead of it in the numbers is really disappointing..
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how this show is beating out Reign on the CW.
    Simply put, 100 is about americans with guns and technology running around, killing each other and anyone else who gets in the way.
    Reign is a historical costume drama, set before their country even existed. It's full of foreigners, doing foreign things (i.e. no guns, spaceships, cars, drugs, etc.) in foreign countries.
    Looking at the other programmes that the CW screens, they are all "good ole 'merican values". The sorts of shows that their teens are used to watching and are full of familiar ideas, values and stories. Stuff they can identify with.

Given that level of disparity, it's surprising that something as sophisticated as production values, scripting or even historical accuracy would ever be a consideration. That Reign is getting even get the level of acceptance that it's viewer numbers shows is remarkable.
    Forum Member
    Initially, I didn't think I'd welcome these grounders speaking perfect English, but then, aren't they from a time when English was spoken? Some people went to the sky to survive, others managed to survive on the ground; both from (seemingly) the US. It makes perfect sense that the grounders speak English as they're all situated around a US military base.

The show ain't nothing special, I'll grant people that, but it's far from the trash some people are making it out to be. There are still many things left unanswered, and new plot paths that can be taken; we're only in one area of the world, what about the rest of it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Simply put, 100 is about americans with guns and technology running around, killing each other and anyone else who gets in the way.
    Reign is a historical costume drama, set before their country even existed. It's full of foreigners, doing foreign things (i.e. no guns, spaceships, cars, drugs, etc.) in foreign countries.
    Looking at the other programmes that the CW screens, they are all "good ole 'merican values". The sorts of shows that their teens are used to watching and are full of familiar ideas, values and stories. Stuff they can identify with.

Given that level of disparity, it's surprising that something as sophisticated as production values, scripting or even historical accuracy would ever be a consideration. That Reign is getting even get the level of acceptance that it's viewer numbers shows is remarkable.

That's quite an interesting take on it and I think you probably have it right. From last weeks Reign Afterbuzz which had the guy who plays Leith on it, it seems to be building a large overseas following, this may be part of what's keeping it going when its US numbers are the same as The Tomorrow People which is now dead.

While I agree with your explanation around Reign, I don't see how it rationalises the incredibly clichéd and predictable way that The 100 is scripted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show ain't nothing special, I'll grant people that, but it's far from the trash some people are making it out to be. There are still many things left unanswered, and new plot paths that can be taken; we're only in one area of the world, what about the rest of it?

I think a lot of the disappointment is from those who think the CW dropped the ball. They have a great concept with fantastic potential and then pooch it. It's not even that heavy on the teen crush sagas, it's the clichéd way it approaches everything.

Apply 2014 values and morality to a setting it could not exist? Check.
    Pantomime villains in Kane and Murphy? Check.
    Realise they're pooching it with the teelgraphing of Kane and do a complete volte face 7 episodes in? Check.
    Introduce episode pivotal characters only in the episode they matter? Check.

They don't seem to know where to take it, that's the worst problem. The best demonstration of this was the woeful under-use of the Charlotte character which should have had a long and intriguing arc but ended up being a redshirt.

It also had the worst line I've ever heard from a female character in network television this week. When Octavia said something along the lines of "I should have known you were only trying to help me when you chained me up" to Lincoln. I really wonder what sort of impact that would have on the audience.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realise they're pooching it with the teelgraphing of Kane and do a complete volte face 7 episodes in? Check.
    Not in the slightest, the episodes were filmed months ago so they had absolutely no time to redo so much for one character. His development is purely what they planned already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Not in the slightest, the episodes were filmed months ago so they had absolutely no time to redo so much for one character. His development is purely what they planned already.

Changes to series arcs and plots are not always dependent on viewer reaction, they often come from producers. I really don't see how you can argue that Kane is following his original character arc because Diane was not in the series. If she had been on the council from Episode One, sure Kane might have been a red herring. But changing him and introducing DIane means it was producer decision and for cost reasons they decided not to do any reshoots (not uncommon).
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with your explanation around Reign, I don't see how it rationalises the incredibly clichéd and predictable way that The 100 is scripted.

All I can say is what everyone already knows. That american teen audiences seem to like simple, in-your-face stories about death and violence and americans kicking ass (even if it's the ass of dispossessed, oppressed and repressed americans - they don't have the same guilt about their sub-cultures that other countries do). It may appear comic-book to us, but it seems to appeal to their nature. Maybe watching that stuff gives them something to do while they are cleaning their guns :D
    As for predictable, that's very close to "familiar" and there is a certain comforting aspect to seeing familiar situations on TV. Even if the setting (post-war, space stations) is extra-ordinary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is what everyone already knows. That american teen audiences seem to like simple, in-your-face stories about death and violence and americans kicking ass (even if it's the ass of dispossessed, oppressed and repressed americans - they don't have the same guilt about their sub-cultures that other countries do). It may appear comic-book to us, but it seems to appeal to their nature. Maybe watching that stuff gives them something to do while they are cleaning their guns :D
    As for predictable, that's very close to "familiar" and there is a certain comforting aspect to seeing familiar situations on TV. Even if the setting (post-war, space stations) is extra-ordinary.

As an analysis of how The CW appear to think, I believe you're spot on the money. But I'm not entirely convinced that they are reading the audience correctly. The CW has three hits, one of which preceeded the network, Since 2006 they've only had two hit shows - TVD and Arrow.

Arrow is only hitting a 0.7 on its latest episode - one which is climatic, effectively the middle part of a 3 episode finale of non-stop big budget scenes. I gave up on TVD for its lack of depth in S1, so I can't comment on the content, what I can comment on is that its now a 0.8 rated show.

Every other show follows the exact same pattern, it knocks it out at a 0.7 or 0.8 premiere, settles into 0.5 to 0.6 and usually tails off with most shows hitting 0.4 to 0.5 by the end of their first season. And due to desperation they renew quite a few of these.

The 100 is lower rated then either Reign or The Tomorrow People after 8 episodes. That has to be worrying, it's benefitted from a short run in that it hasn't hit the TTP numbers but given every single CW show except their three hits follows the same pattern, it doesn't look good.

The point I am making is that playing to this assumption that what you outline is what viewers want, rather than just what the programmers think they want doesn't seem to be working for The CW. The pattern of "X meets Gossip Girl" doesn't work for them.

It might also be costing them in tersm of shows like Reign which are deeper, better acted, better scripted because being on The CW means a lot of the potential audience just won't give it a chance, because they think its gonna be "Mary meets Gossip Girl".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very much enjoying this show so far! It's filled my empty show gap for the past week
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a show that has improved a lot over the last few weeks. They have developed lots of different elements to pursue for storylines. I think its possibly the best new show this US TV season.
  • alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    This is a show that has improved a lot over the last few weeks. They have developed lots of different elements to pursue for storylines. I think its possibly the best new show this US TV season.

wouldn't go as far as to call it the best new tv show this season but it has shown some improvement in the past couple of episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have just watched the new episode and I have to say everything you say above is true in bucket loads. This is the last episode I will watch because I am so tired of American machismo and the love triangle romance that the CW seems to like so much.
    Forum Member
    I have just watched the new episode and I have to say everything you say above is true in bucket loads. This is the last episode I will watch because I am so tired of American machismo and the love triangle romance that the CW seems to like so much.
    You've apparently missed that part where Raven breaks up with Finn. ;-)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I do wish writers would find something else other than stupid 'love triangles' to create tension in a show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many times has Elena broken up with Damon or is that Stefan. I bet if Raven doesn't die something will happen. They did sleep together recently and I wouldn't put it past them to make her pregnant so noble Finn will be honour bound to stick by her. They can then explore pregnancy without medical aid. Finn just strikes me as a real woss. He is pretty to look out but there is never any expression on his face. He looked the same when leaping to Clarke's aid and when Raven told him he loved Clarke: you would not have guessed it!
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

The main love triangle is Clarke, Finn, Bellamy, raven is just a side dish to it