Walking Dead becomes TALKING Dead

clycly Posts: 1,393
Forum Member
✭✭✭
TALK TALK TALK TALK AD NAUSEUM

Dumping it for good!

The Walking Dead's early seasons were very good indeed. However more and more, especially over the last two series, each episode seems to consist of TALK TALK TALK TALK AD NAUSEUM interspersed with two minute bursts of action.

This season has had a few absolutely dire episodes of mind-numbing long periods of introspective/soul searching/ruminating/whatever! taking up the majority of the programme. The last straw was Monday's Season 5, Episode 10 'Them' as the infuriating thing is that as they ramble on and on in a supposedly 'deep' manner one has to scream out loud it's BORING and NOT captivating, or engaging, or thought provoking. My brain is hurting waiting for them to stop talking but no on and on it goes TALK TALK TALK TALK AD NAUSEUM. Beggaring belief in the previous week's episode even the zombies got to talk and ramble on!

A lot of series tend to go downhill after initial first and sometimes second series but has there ever been any plummet to such dire depths as The W/Talking Dead'. I'm not the kind of viewer that just wants bang bang action, i can appreciate good and great conversations that add to a story etc. but the 'interludes' in the W/Talking Dead would zombify anybody's brain.

Comments

• FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All series eventually have a short shelf life, after like 5 seasons it's time for something new.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give me The Talking Dead anytime.

Less action and more beautiful writing is always a good thing.

The scene where they was holding the door shut was such perfectly written.

Some of the script during the recent episode really got to the heart of what being human and being alive is about and why humans "survive" against hardships.

More of the same and less Zombies, They are a useful plot device but should never be the story, The story has to be about why they want to stay alive not just how they stay alive.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of a League of Gentlemen episode...where two characters are browsing films in a video shop ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4

"I don't like that Bradley Pitts anyway....too much acting" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite up to date yet, but I think this season of The Walking Dead has been among the best. And it may have even got over it's "let's just kill people to add tension" problem, though "Slabtown" came across as a bit too silly and weird, the kind of stuff that's suited more to the comic books...

Also, is the OP aware that the Americans have after show where they talk about TWD called Talking Dead, making their constant use of the pun somewhat annoying and the thread title perhaps misleading?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Don't know why this needed it's own thread personally, but I think youre missing the point of the series somewhat.
  • playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't read the comics, but i've heard it should get interesting soon if the tv show follows them.
    Forum Member
    playa1 wrote: »
    I don't read the comics, but i've heard it should get interesting soon if the tv show follows them.

I've only read the early comic books, but from what I've read it looks like the TV show is taking elements from the comic books, shoving them in a blender and making them fit.

For example
    Shane
    dies a lot earlier in the comic books (Spoiler is for season 2 of the series/vol. 1 of the comics, but I figured I should flag it just incase), but for similar reasons to those in the TV series, and they stop at a housing estate before going to the Farm.
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless your simple little brain. Last night's was one of the better episodes of the past few seasons, simple and beautifully done and much needed!

But thanks for announcing that your flouncing. I'll sleep much better tonight knowing that.
    Its just a TV show. nobody really cares if you're fed up with it,
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    Bless your simple little brain. Last night's was one of the better episodes of the past few seasons, simple and beautifully done and much needed!

But thanks for announcing that your flouncing. I'll sleep much better tonight knowing that.
    Its just a TV show. nobody really cares if you're fed up with it,

WRONG!

Far from a simple brain and i could put forward some hilarious outstanding bloopers within the last few episodes as the series slumps into farce. Have a Google and you'll find plenty of media outlets and social media also spotting the same faults.

Go back to bed now that you've gone to the effort of writing a post due to your caring about my post lol.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest episode was packed full of stuff happening and the "talking" was some of the highest quality dialogue you'll find in any drama. The Walking Dead is still very much on a high in my opinion. What would be dull is if every episode was just full of "action", you need to stay emotionally involved with the characters to care what happens to them.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    WRONG!

Far from a simple brain and i could put forward some hilarious outstanding bloopers within the last few episodes as the series slumps into farce. Have a Google and you'll find plenty of media outlets and social media also spotting the same faults.

Go back to bed now that you've gone to the effort of writing a post due to your caring about my post lol.

What has the views of Social Media have to do with anything? Its mostly made up a bunch of idiots and or trolls (same goes for the media).

People don't agree with a simplistic argument and the default fall back is "social media agrees with me", IMO if social media agrees then you 9/10 times you need to rethink your thoughts.
    Forum Member

Not being stupid and being able to spot "bloopers" are entirely unconnected.

I'm assuming, by "bloopers" you mean continuity errors. If that's the case, it doesn't require intelligence to spot them, just the attention span of a gnat...
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    WRONG!

Why don't you enlighten us?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    This reminds me of a League of Gentlemen episode...where two characters are browsing films in a video shop ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4

"I don't like that Bradley Pitts anyway....too much acting" :D

Classic :p
  • grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WRONG!

Ha go find another TV show bandwagon to jump on. People enjoy shows or they dont, how can you say that another persons opinion is WRONG. Oh no, are ther bloopers in the show?!?!? :o thats it im gonna stop watching it now.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    playa1 wrote: »

Yep they've done with wandering around aimlessly again and they're about to join another community and settle down and start farming again
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    When the first series came out i was terrified by it. I hate (and i suppose love) zombies, so any film with them in absolutely scares me to death but im somehow drawn towards them!

In the first series i would watch with my face partially covered and still be jumping when an unexpected zombie event happened.

Now i watch it in the same way i watch any other soap type show. Its on and i follow it but it doesnt scare me anymore. The zombies lack anything remotely scary but i guess thats what the producers have chosen, to focus less on them and more on the characters.

Unfortunitely the rest of it sometimes lacks. I find that when it ends i think "is it the end already? Nothing has happened this episode". I suppose though theres not a lot different they can do.
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    When the first series came out i was terrified by it. I hate (and i suppose love) zombies, so any film with them in absolutely scares me to death but im somehow drawn towards them!

In the first series i would watch with my face partially covered and still be jumping when an unexpected zombie event happened.

Really? As much as I love it, I don't think TWD has ever been scary.

I think it has suffered from going a bit too frequent and graphic with it's violence, and as a result the violence in the show has lost it's power to shock and surprise a bit. I think the show would have been better served saving the graphic violence and using it sparingly to increase the impact of certain moments. However, that would have a probably pissed a lot of people off...
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Really? As much as I love it, I don't think TWD has ever been scary.

I think it has suffered from going a bit too frequent and graphic with it's violence, and as a result the violence in the show has lost it's power to shock and surprise a bit. I think the show would have been better served saving the graphic violence and using it sparingly to increase the impact of certain moments. However, that would have a probably pissed a lot of people off...

I used to be terrified when all seemed calm and then BAM zombie on screen! Or when the music used to build up so you knew something scary was going to happen and it did. You were expecting it but still shocked when it happened.

Now i watch it half expecting nothing to happen. Most of the time you can easily get 20 minutes of chat and stuff with nothing remotely scary happening.

I guess maybe i have just become used to it? Although i suspect you are right too. Theres so many scenes where they just slice up zombies and walkers arent seen as a threat (eg when that girl was crying by a tree, feet away from a zombie) that they dont scare us anymore. But then i guess thats the whole point? The characters are supposed to be feeling more danger from other survivors, but then i dont see other survivors as obvious enemies in the same way the walkers once were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regards recent posts above i'll clarify that i wasn't referring to 'bloopers' at all.

Cool we've expressed our different opinions so guess we'll agree to differ on the quality (or lack of) of the dialogue - no biggie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I used to be terrified when all seemed calm and then BAM zombie on screen! Or when the music used to build up so you knew something scary was going to happen and it did. You were expecting it but still shocked when it happened.

Now i watch it half expecting nothing to happen. Most of the time you can easily get 20 minutes of chat and stuff with nothing remotely scary happening.

As mentioned earlier i'm not a viewer who needs tons of 'action' however i do think it has gone way too far in the talk, talk side of things, so agree a lot with your second paragraph above.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned earlier i'm not a viewer who needs tons of 'action' however i do think it has gone way too far in the talk, talk side of things, so agree a lot with your second paragraph above.

I'm that kind of viewer as well and haven't been able to motivate myself to watch the latest episode. The main problem for me is just not caring about the characters all that much.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WRONG!

Regards recent posts above i'll clarify that i wasn't referring to 'bloopers' at all.

Cool we've expressed our different opinions so guess we'll agree to differ on the quality (or lack of) of the dialogue - no biggie.
    So which is it? Have the last few episodes been full of hilarious outstanding bloopers or not and do you think there has been too much talking or a lack of dialogue?
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I have to agree with the OP, although instead of boring TALK TALK TALK it's even more boring WHISPER WHISPER WHISPER. :o I'm sick of turning up the tv volume ever higher and still struggling to make out what they're saying, (only to discover after 3 rewinds that it wasn't worth the effort). >:(

And I know it was always inevitable, but the Walkers have pretty much become an irrelevance these days. I wish they'd gone down the route of having the Walkers gain some sort of intelligence or strategy - or at very least learn to walk faster, lol. :D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Someone clearly didn't watch Season 2. The show pratically ground to a halt. Still. Always comforting and important to know when someone stops watching a TV show. I'm sure the team of actors and writers that make the show are deeply troubled by these revelations. I hear talk that Kirkman is considering scrapping the whole thing. Sad times. Sad sad times.

Hey everyone. Look at MY opinion! It matters! Even if it makes zero sense!

God bless the internet.