Options

Madonna's Birthday: Your Favourite Madonna Single

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today, August 16th, Madonna turns 56. As she is currently busy recording a new album featuring rumoured tracks "Rebel Heart" and "Messiah", I thought I'd ask what your favourite Madonna single is. Mine used to be "Like A Prayer" but in later years it has changed to Ray of Light. So, my favourite Madonna single, because of its relentless beat, its happy feel and Madonna's great vocals, is "Ray of Light."

Happy Birthday Madonna.

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You can dance! for inspiration!"
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Madonna and have all the songs/albums, but my choice would be the seemingly only modestly popular/renown Dress You Up. It's the first one I ever heard - it was on an old 'Hits' compilation my older sister got for Christmas that year - and through all the years and all the progression in her music, I have never and will never tire of it. I don't really know why, there's just a special 'something' about the beat and drive and insistence of it, as well as managing to be both catchy and clever lyrically.

Happy birthday Madonna! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Madonna and have all the songs/albums, but my choice would be the seemingly only modestly popular/renown Dress You Up. It's the first one I ever heard - it was on an old 'Hits' compilation my older sister got for Christmas that year - and through all the years and all the progression in her music, I have never and will never tire of it. I don't really know why, there's just a special 'something' about the beat and drive and insistence of it, as well as managing to be both catchy and clever lyrically.

Happy birthday Madonna! :)

It is an incredibly under-rated Madonna single. "You have style, that's what all the girls say!" Not actually written by Madonna though. One of about half a dozen singles written by someone else. Great choice though.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    Oh God, that's like asking me to choose my favourite from a selection of Thornton's Continental Chocolates. :p

I honestly think Madonna has released so many excellent singles I really would struggle to choose one.

I'd narrow it down to Like A Prayer, Vogue, Hung Up, La Isla Bonita and Ray Of Light.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Madonna so it's very hard to pick just one. :D

I'll narrow it down to three: Like a Prayer, Erotica, and Ray of Light!

Happy birthday to the queen of pop <3
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like A Prayer
    Oh Father
    Into The Groove
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Predictable - Like A Prayer, special mention Into The Groove, Gambler, Pa Pa Don't Preach, True Blue, Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Express Yourself. I love 80's Madonna. Since then Frozen, Ray Of Light, Music, Hung Up and Sorry.

I am feeling good about the new album, she seems to have put the effort in this time. It's going to be a great album, I don't think sales will be big but then nobody sells big these days.
  • Options
    lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frozen
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Material Girl
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a thoughy but ultimately Like A Prayer then rounding off my top 5:

Bad Girl
    Get Together
    La Isla Bonita
    Like A Virhin
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    My mate and I were nuts about Madonna when we were kids. We played her albums all through the summer holidays, so from the 80's I would have to say "La Isla Bonita" is one of my faves. It's so nostalgic for summers long gone.

"Like a Prayer" is also a belter, and from her more modern recordings, I really love "Paradise: Not for me"
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only had a brief period of catching up with Madonna........sometime in the mid 90s

I liked Like a Prayer, true blue and frozen .........my favourite was 'Secret'
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Madonna singles are 'Frozen' - which I used to love but hardly ever hear, and I had no idea it was Madonna until recently - and 'Get Together' from Confessions on a Dancefloor. I think Get Together is a criminally underrated dance track. ...anyway it reminds me of a really good holiday I had once where I heard it played a lot of times.

I'm also a big fan of album track 'Swim' from Ray of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xKPT2ozew , which is a lovely, chill, kind of ambient-acoustic song. I wonder is there a genre for that? its a very late-90s sound anyway, a lot of TV shows at that time would have had similar music on them as background.
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borderline is heaven to me. Sublime Madonna.

Someone mentioned Material Girl- I cannot listen to this dirge. a big hit yes, but not for my ears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Madonna singles are 'Frozen' - which I used to love but hardly ever hear, and I had no idea it was Madonna until recently - and 'Get Together' from Confessions on a Dancefloor. I think Get Together is a criminally underrated dance track. ...anyway it reminds me of a really good holiday I had once where I heard it played a lot of times.

I'm also a big fan of album track 'Swim' from Ray of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xKPT2ozew , which is a lovely, chill, kind of ambient-acoustic song. I wonder is there a genre for that? its a very late-90s sound anyway, a lot of TV shows at that time would have had similar music on them as background.

Ray of Light (the album) is full of some Madonna's most powerful lyrics. Almost poetical. The song 'Swim' contains some of the darkest lyrics I've ever come across in any song before by anyone. Here's a snippet:

Children killing children,
    As student's rape their teachers.
    Comets fly across the sky
    As churches burn their preachers.

A far cry from the bubblegum pop of the early material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Ray of Light (the album) is full of some Madonna's most powerful lyrics. Almost poetical. The song 'Swim' contains some of the darkest lyrics I've ever come across in any song before by anyone. Here's a snippet:

Children killing children,
    As student's rape their teachers.
    Comets fly across the sky
    As churches burn their preachers.

A far cry from the bubblegum pop of the early material.

I get the same feeling with Erotica there's a determined yet carefree nature to that album deeply dark yet uniquely danceable. Contains some of my favourite M material.
  • Options
    Knives326Knives326 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    'Into the Groove' Guaranteed to get me straight onto the dancefloor, drunk or sober.

Honourable mentions to Angel, Borderline and Holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I get the same feeling with Erotica there's a determined yet carefree nature to that album deeply dark yet uniquely danceable. Contains some of my favourite M material.

Yes. Erotica is an excellent, under-rated album. Surprisingly American Life, an album much criticised back in 2003 sounds fresh and more relevant today than some of todays pop music is! I think there are 4 stand out albums lyrically from Madonna. They are Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray of Light and American Life. Although the lyrics to "Like It Or Not" on Confessions are brilliant! They are sticking two fingers up to the world - big time!
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    my fave songs right now (not my fave ever):

1. some girls (orbit mix)
    2.Im in love with love
    3.Broken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Yes. Erotica is an excellent, under-rated album. Surprisingly American Life, an album much criticised back in 2003 sounds fresh and more relevant today than some of todays pop music is! I think there are 4 stand out albums lyrically from Madonna. They are Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray of Light and American Life. Although the lyrics to "Like It Or Not" on Confessions are brilliant! They are sticking two fingers up to the world - big time!

Most definitely I feel it's finally getting the recognition it deserves but still so underrated and much maligned. and American Life is a great album conceptually unfairly overshadowed by the weaker Music. I'd also say Bedtime Stories as poor as it has some moments Secret tells a great story and is a lesser know single but one of her better.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being asked to pick your fave Madonna single is like being asked to pick your favourite child!

I'm not sure I could pick one but I know for a fact my most played Madonna song ever is

La IsIa Bonita

So I'll say that one.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hung Up is in my top 5 played songs ever, so it's got to be that one.
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll See. Absolutely phenomenal track in my opinion!
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borderline
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Where do I start? I like so many :D My faves would be (in no order):

Like A Prayer
    Hung Up
    Vogue
    Material Girl
    Live To Tell
    Papa Don't Preach
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita
    Frozen
    Sorry
    Ray of Light
    Give It 2 Me
    Erotica
    American Life
    Hollywood
    Don't Tell Me
    Miles Away
    4 Minutes
    Music
    Secret
    Rain
    Girl Gone Wild
    Get Together
    Causing A Commotion
    Justify My Love
    Me Against The Music (it was really Britney Spears ft Madonna as it was on Britney's In The Zone but it's still worth mentioning :as I'm a Britney fan :D)