Fortec Star Passion Plus

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    ACEofCLUBS wrote: »
    If you read this thread you will see that I have a FortcStar Passion, everything is fine with it after upgrading software etc. Receiving and viewing HD channels ok.
    My question is this:- is there any way of upgrading/converting the Passion to a Passion+ to enable me to record via USB to a spare HDD?

Sorry but the answer to that question is no, the receivers chips don't support recording functions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Is the Fortec the only machine capable of the 7day epg, as the humax freesat box seems too restricted?
  • Rapture TVRapture TV Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baarree wrote: »
    Is the Fortec the only machine capable of the 7day epg, as the humax freesat box seems too restricted?

There is a new HD PVR launching later this year in the UK with 7 day EPG, all FTA channels listed and a Conditional Access system with card reader embedded. It has a built in HDD which will have more recording capacity than any Sky+ box or the Humax 'freesat' PVR.

It is expected to sell for under £300.00. Perhaps you would be best waiting on that launching? We have some pictures of it but they are not for publication yet.
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    And who would be providing the EPG data if I may ask, I would not want to trust recordings that over runs for a third party epg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remlap wrote: »
    And who would be providing the EPG data if I may ask, I would not want to trust recordings that over runs for a third party epg.

What if the system took updates form the broadcast stream ie Now and Next DVB-SI data. That is broadcast by each broadcaster.

That should answer your potential problem?

It could be a software hack to strip the data from Sky? Or maybe a new EPG designed to offer the viewer a better service than the current providers?
    Forum Member
    Rapture TV wrote: »
    What if the system took updates form the broadcast stream ie Now and Next DVB-SI data. That is broadcast by each broadcaster.

That should answer your potential problem?

Very good point and quick to point out on.
    It could be a software hack to strip the data from Sky?

I am sure SKY are going to love that for a mass market product.

What would your opinions be on people doing that to a new service on other receivers?

If the EPG data was open source I would very much welcome the idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good point and quick to point out on.

I am sure SKY are going to love that for a mass market product.

What would your opinions be on people doing that to a new service on another other receivers?

Sky has after all used its EPG to restrict the UK market for satellite equipment. EPG's are meant to be open and gatekeepers are not allowed to control access to 'in the clear signals'.

We didn't say it was a hack just it could be. The channels them self own the copyright in the EPG data not Sky. The publishers of the data are the broadcasters and not Sky. Sky simply charges a fee to include the data in the Sky Guide.

If the data was used but converted that would be simply 'reverse engineering' would it not? The Murdoch camp are very keen on 'reverse engineering'.
    Forum Member
    Rapture TV wrote: »

If the data was used but converted that would be simply 'reverse engineering' would it not? The Murdoch camp are very keen on 'reverse engineering'.

So your basically confirming your new box is doing what dreamboxes and others have done for awhile?

And not a new EPG source which could be open source access, where ever manufacturer could make use of it, making truly open to everyone platform that I think everyone may of liked?

Cheers Ill pass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    It sounds very interesting, freesat is a bit of a let down and sky are jut too gready, so I will wait and see for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your basically confirming your new box is doing what dreamboxes and others have done for awhile?

And not a new EPG source which could be open source access, where ever manufacturer could make use of it, making truly open to everyone platform that I think everyone may of liked?

Cheers Ill pass.

Not at all Sir. Just thats how Sky and their sister company NDS would probably do it. For technical and moral reasons that is not what is being referred to at all.

A better service and much lower costs for the channels helping all channels afford an EPG listing and encouraging innovation in the development of set top box features that have not been forth coming under the Sky platform.

Plus more competition helping reduce costs for both the UK consumer and helping the UK's retail sector by offering a good quality range of products. Everyone wins with a open EPG service run on proper 'fair reasonable and non-discriminator' basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baarree wrote: »
    It sounds very interesting, freesat is a bit of a let down and sky are jut too gready, so I will wait and see for now.

The first HD stb is on it way and a HD twin tuner PVR has been sourced but work is still being done on the software so the PVR will be a few months away. It will however offer features that have not been available on other PVR's in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have just tried updating the Passion Plus to the latest firmware dated 07/01/2009, but at 74% it switches off and reboots. I canot get it to accept the update. There has been no problems on previous updates. Has anyone any ideas for resolving this. Help would be appreciated.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    berko wrote: »
    I have just tried updating the Passion Plus to the latest firmware dated 07/01/2009, but at 74% it switches off and reboots. I canot get it to accept the update. There has been no problems on previous updates. Has anyone any ideas for resolving this. Help would be appreciated.

Don't use the menu method, use the front panel controls method.

Full details on the sataid.net/forum website

However the firmware dated 07/01/2009 is very buggy, you might be best to avoid it. Again full details on the above website.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member

Hi berko,

I have a Passion HD (not the HD+), No problems or issues with the new firmware here and a welcome upgrade.

I have experienced problems loading software (including saving and loading of the channel list) in the past myself, but I have found the cure :)

Format the stick to Fat (Fat 16) first, before copying the new firmware to it. An easy job to do using the HP_Formatter which you can download from here
    http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28700/28790/HP_USB_Boot_Utility.exe
    Once you have installed it, run HPUSBFW.EXE to format your USB stick selecting the FAT option.

I hope this helps. Worked for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ Rapture TV

Are you saying that there will be a new EPG broadcast?

We all know of the issues there are between Freesat and Sky with regards to EPG data and how Sky has to check through the data to make sure that it does not clash with their data.

So... I guess my question is, how are Real Digital going to cope with this issue?

Will this box only be aimed at the UK market or will we here in Ireland get a look at it?

mj
  • hedgidjhedgidj Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When it reboots it will display 'File 1' on the display on the box (provided the new software is the only item on your pen drive).

Press the 'OK' button on the box (not the remote) and it will carry on installing. When it reboots again then remove the pen drive when it gets to 'file 1' again, switch the box off and on with the mains button and presto, you'll have the new software. It worked for me and now the recordings work programmed from the EPG etc.

All good stuff.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys. It loaded with no problems using the front panel method. My emails to fortec star technical support must be crossing the desert in Dubai by Camel. Three months ago I sent one and still have not had a reply.( not in relation to this !!) Its great that help is closer to home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjsmyth wrote: »
    @ Rapture TV

Are you saying that there will be a new EPG broadcast?

We all know of the issues there are between Freesat and Sky with regards to EPG data and how Sky has to check through the data to make sure that it does not clash with their data.

So... I guess my question is, how are Real Digital going to cope with this issue?

Will this box only be aimed at the UK market or will we here in Ireland get a look at it?

mj

All technical details are covered by several NDA's. However an early version ofthe EPG banner graphic can be found here: http://www.rapturetv.com/testepgbanner.jpg

There have been several improvements since then. There has been more than one set top box manufacturer involved with the development. Backwards compatibility is a priority and helping an open market for equipment develop.

While no technical details can be offered here, you can be sure that the issue you have raised concerning BSkyB was at the foremost of our thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    SianKJones wrote: »
    I just bought a FS-4400 and I’m starting to regret doing so.

I can record onto USB drive using the instant recording. However I can not use the timer recording. I have tried three different USB drives, USB only HD, powered 250GB HD and a Flash Drive. None of which have worked. The box pops up with a reminder but there is no attempt to start record anything and no error messages.

Without this feature this product is effectively worthless.

Does anyone have any idea about the 4400?

Hi,

I'm interested in a cheap and cheerful PVR capable receiver, such as the FS4400. Just a quick question, is the USB port front or rear mounted?

"Her indoors" is fussy about these things:)

Thanks in advance:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    It is at the front. It's not ideal but it is about quarter the price of any other unit, and is a fantastic cheap alternative to all the other modles.

What I did was tape the cable underneath my shelf so that you wouldn't see it (especially since I don't actually move the USB drive).
    Forum Member
    It is at the front. It's not ideal but it is about quarter the price of any other unit, and is a fantastic cheap alternative to all the other modles.

What I did was tape the cable underneath my shelf so that you wouldn't see it (especially since I don't actually move the USB drive).

Hi and thanks for the quick reply / info:)

I thought it might be round the front (I was amazed that I couldn't find this info anywhere on the web and the one in the local Maplin shop is behind glass!).

I'm guesing it is behind the drop-down flap at the front - is it possible to close the flap with the cable in place?

Cheers again:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    No you can't close the flap unforunately.

It's not too bad in my house where the shelves are also black (then you don't notice), but yeah that might be a pain :mad:
    Forum Member
    No you can't close the flap unforunately.

It's not too bad in my house where the shelves are also black (then you don't notice), but yeah that might be a pain :mad:

Thanks again for the reply.

That's such a shame - other than that the FS4400 looks to be an OK bit of kit:(

Might be able to open it up though and slot a 2.5" laptop drive in there somewhere;)

Maybe pop to Maplin this lunchtime.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    We need that old chestnut, the low-profile right-angled USB extension lead. It is possible to make one up, but it's a bit weak on the plug if done with shrink-plastic. It really needs a hard cap with fins that you can wrap your fingernails around to pull the plug out, similar to the low-profile bluetooth USB devices.

I think a low-profile extension lead would have a far bigger market than low-profile bluetooth, so why does no-one sell one of these in the UK yet?
  • bigfootffkbigfootffk Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I just picked up a fs4400 from maplins, how did you do the usb update.