Bush television

I posted earlier this year when I had an old Mitsibishi tv and the on/off switch was being awkward. Eventually I used it by operating it from the plug then a friend gave me an old Bush tv to keep me going and the Mitsibuishi went to the tip.

Tonight the Bush on/off switch has done the same, it just wont come on at all. I changed the fuse but could only find a 3amp so changed the 5amp for a 3amp and it still wouldnt work!

I have unpacked my Matsui 14" portable for now but there isnt any blue in the picture! I phoned my friend and she was telling me that the footballers had blue shirts but on my tv they were pale green! Can I adjust the colour to get some blue in the picture?

Perhaps it is time to treat myself to a new tv. I dont want a tv that does cart wheels or makes tea and coffee or toast. Just a tv to watch of an evening to relax. Any suggestions will be gratefully received and havent got loads to spend either. (My room is 15'x12'). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad Hatter wrote: »
    I posted earlier this year when I had an old Mitsibishi tv and the on/off switch was being awkward. Eventually I used it by operating it from the plug then a friend gave me an old Bush tv to keep me going and the Mitsibuishi went to the tip.

Tonight the Bush on/off switch has done the same, it just wont come on at all. I changed the fuse but could only find a 3amp so changed the 5amp for a 3amp and it still wouldnt work!

I have unpacked my Matsui 14" portable for now but there isnt any blue in the picture! I phoned my friend and she was telling me that the footballers had blue shirts but on my tv they were pale green! Can I adjust the colour to get some blue in the picture?

Perhaps it is time to treat myself to a new tv. I dont want a tv that does cart wheels or makes tea and coffee or toast. Just a tv to watch of an evening to relax. Any suggestions will be gratefully received and havent got loads to spend either. (My room is 15'x12'). Thanks in advance.

Well, the Matsui sounds like it's got a problem with one of the colour guns on the tube (I assume it's a CRT and not an LCD set). Won't be worth repairing.

The Bush sounds like a problem either with the on/off switch itself or a problem with its power supply. If it's a CRT then again, not worth repairing.

I'd suggest a 32" LCD - assuming you want to buy new - a few suggestions:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298422.htm for £ 180.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296486.htm for £ 230

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298549.htm for £ 250

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5299902.htm for £ 270

The only way you'll get anything cheaper will be via e-Bay or if you have a charity Home & Furniture store - though bear in mind neither will offer you a warranty whereas all new sets will come with at least a 12 month warranty.

Hope this helps.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »

I'd suggest a 32" LCD - assuming you want to buy new - a few suggestions:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298422.htm for £ 180.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296486.htm for £ 230

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298549.htm for £ 250

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5299902.htm for £ 270

The only way you'll get anything cheaper will be via e-Bay or if you have a charity Home & Furniture store - though bear in mind neither will offer you a warranty whereas all new sets will come with at least a 12 month warranty.

Hope this helps.

The LG and the Samsung are the best in this list.

The Japanese brands are anything but - they're both rebadged Turkish-made models.

The most expensive, the Panasonic mentioned above, is a rebadge with a poor energy rating of C and Which? says avoid it. More info in this thread

The Hitachi is a Vestel rebadge and should be avoided. However, its £180 price is fair for the quality you're getting but again at power rating C you'd be better spending a little more money upfront on the Samsung (rated B) as you'd recover this in electricity bills in time.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    If it has happened suddenly it's more likely to be one of the driver transistors. Cheaper to repair than buying a new tele.

Cheaper to just throw it away and grab a similar scrap TV if you really want one, CRT sets are completely worthless these days.
  • Mad HatterMad Hatter Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all very much for your helpful replies.

Both of these tv's are old bulky ones, not modern ones. I just got the 14" Matsui out to make do till I get sorted. I never bought it, my partner did. He also bought a Sony Bravio in 2008 from Morrisons for £477 and he took that with him. He was trying to set it up and turned it on its screen and damaged it ! He then bought a Goodman in 2009 for £300. So, havent these tv's come down in price. That is good.

It would be lovely to treat myself to a new tv, having limped along for over 3 years with other people's cast offs. Just wondered, if I were to buy the cheapest tv, then you arent losing so much money when you buy another new one at a later stage.

I can recall speaking to an assistant at Tesco in the Electrical Dept and I told him I was waiting for my old tv to blow up then I will buy a new one. He said you will be waiting a while as the old tv's are much more reliable than these new modern ones.

I do like the idea of a good rated tv that doesnt use as much electric as others. Would the LG be economical electric-wise.

Having said all this, I may be on the verge of obtaining another old Misibuishi tv which is sitting in someone's garage doing nothing. Will have to see - just had word I can have this tv and may as well fetch it and see what's what with it.

I do have a bit of money on a gift card at Argos and a few nectar points so they could all go towards it. Do you think there will be any better prices as we get towards Christmas.

Connected up to my tv is a Panasonic dvd/player recorder, a video recorder and the digibox. If I do get a new tv, will you be able to help me by telling me where all the leads go from all these other things. Mind you, I can only record the side I am watching with the dvd/player recorder as it isnt digital and I dont very often look at videos. Is it possible to connect the video recorder to the Matsui tv and it would play the videos on that tv, if so, no need to wire that up to a new tv either and wont need the digibox. It looks like Spaghetti Junction behind my tv!

Thanks again.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think there will be any better prices as we get towards Christmas?
    I doubt it, though I get the impression that some retailers raised TV prices in the Autmn in order to show good discounts in the run-up to Christmas.

What you could do is:
    • Install the Mitsubishi for now
    • Read up on TVs in Which? at your local library (or take a £1 trial online) and make a shortlist
    • Buy the TV you want in the post-Christmas sales
    • You may get a bargain at tomorrow's Comet sale but a lot of people in the DS forums are sceptical about this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply 1andrew1. I have fetched the Mitsubishi, it is in the boot of my car. Just got to get some muscles to get it out the boot and put the Bush in the boot to take to the tip. There wasnt a remote control but I still have the remote control from my old Mitsubishi - will it work on this other Mitsubishi? (The tv's do look the same).

The colour has come right on the Matsui portable !!

If the Mitsubishi does work when I get it set up, I will plod along with that for a while. What a good idea to go to the library and look at the Which Magazine but if I do see a tv, I will still ask for help from you knowledgeable DS members.

When I took the other Mitsubishi tv to the tip a lad there took it out of my boot and put it in a crate with loads and loads of tv's, I said to him that some of them in the crate looked very modern and much better than the one I had brought. He said, "today we live in a throw away society".
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The colour has come right on the Matsui portable !!

That problem was most likely caused by a loose SCART lead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Ulysses777, doesnt take much does it for things to go wrong. I was quite surprised when I could see blue again.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    If it's the SCART on an older set, the socket is just as likely to be the culprit as the lead.

If you are experiencing intermittent colours, changing the output of the STB to composite rather than RGB may fix the problem. The picture quality takes a turn for the worse if you do this, but on a (budget) portable set it's likely you won't notice much difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found some muscles, the Bush tv is in the boot of the car and the Mitsubishi is indoors, connected and working and the picture is just F A B. The Mitsubishi I had before was CT-21M3 BM and this latest one is CT-21M5 BT. I am amazed that I hadnt thrown away the remote control from the old tv. I plugged the leads in and hey-presto, it is up and running - I am well pleased and it will keep me going a bit longer. It is good or bad for a tv to be sat in a cold garage on the floor for maybe 10 years? Will just have to see how I get on with it. Is the CT-21M5 BT a better model than the CT-21M3 BM? Thanks again all.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Very likely that the decade in the garage has shorted its lifespan, but CRTs are so cheap now (almost, but not completely worthless) that I wouldn't worry about that.

Wouldn't be too concerned about which is the better either to be honest -- this is a TV from the days when TVs were actually built properly, so enjoy it for what it is :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found some muscles, the Bush tv is in the boot of the car and the Mitsubishi is indoors, connected and working and the picture is just F A B. The Mitsubishi I had before was CT-21M3 BM and this latest one is CT-21M5 BT. I am amazed that I hadnt thrown away the remote control from the old tv. I plugged the leads in and hey-presto, it is up and running - I am well pleased and it will keep me going a bit longer. It is good or bad for a tv to be sat in a cold garage on the floor for maybe 10 years? Will just have to see how I get on with it. Is the CT-21M5 BT a better model than the CT-21M3 BM? Thanks again all.

Probably just a later version rather than a better version.

From memory Mitsubishi's numbering was:

CT - CRT Tv
    21 - Screen size
    M - the series (so other letters denoted other, sometimes better specced) ranges
    5 - the 'generation' i.e. which model year usually

I think the BT / BM is probably the colour / finish of the cabinet, but it's been a few years since I looked at them !!

The biggest issue with it being stored is some components e.g. capacitors may have started to degrade. If it's working OK, then keep using it, but don't expect it to last forever....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. I think maybe this tv was in the garage when people started buying new tv's with built in freeview ready for the changeover. What year did they start selling tv's with freeview?

If I am comfortable watching this Mitsubishi 21" screen in a 15'x12' sized room, what size is equivalent in a new flat screened tv please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. I think maybe this tv was in the garage when people started buying new tv's with built in freeview ready for the changeover. What year did they start selling tv's with freeview?

If I am comfortable watching this Mitsubishi 21" screen in a 15'x12' sized room, what size is equivalent in a new flat screened tv please?

That's a difficult question to answer for a number of reasons.

Firstly your set is a 4:3 ratio - whereas all new sets are widescreen 16:9 - this is important because screen size is measured diagonally across from a top corner to a bottom corner.

So if you bought a 22" widescreen (which you may think is closest in screen size) it would actually appear smaller because the 'height' of the screen is less.

The next factor is all flat screens have far smaller cabinets and surrounds than traditional CRTs - which means it is easier to site them - i.e they can fit further back into the corner of a room, you can easily wall mount etc.

I've gone from a 24" widescreen CRT to a 32" flat screen LCD - initially it seemed that the LCD was alot bigger, but now it feels just right.

I think you'd need to look at a 26" or 32" - though a 32" is likely to be cheaper - mainly because that size is more popular which has made it cheaper to produce 32" panels than 26" panels.

Hope this helps.

On your question about TVs with Freeview built in - about 2002 - there were some CRTs which had it built in. By about 2006 most new sets were LCD and had it built in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a 32" then especially if they are more reasonably priced - thanks for that AlanO.

Do you know when people could start purchasing tv's with built-in freeview - knowing when could roughly determine how long this Mitsubishi had been in the garage? Which make of 32" tv have you just purchased? Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a 32" then especially if they are more reasonably priced - thanks for that AlanO.

Do you know when people could start purchasing tv's with built-in freeview - knowing when could roughly determine how long this Mitsubishi had been in the garage? Which make of 32" tv have you just purchased? Thanks again.

No problem.

I did answer the when Freeview was built in - though it was an edit as I'd noticed that I'd missed that.

If it was replaced with a new set that had Freeview built in - I'd guess 3-5 years max.

The Mitsubishi set is probably about 12 years old now - I think Mitsubishi had stopped making sets for the UK market by about 2000.

I haven't just purchased - sorry should have been clearer - but I have for the last couple of years had a 32" Sony which I inherited. I'm not a fan of it and wouldn't be unhappy if I had to replace it.

My preference would be either for a Panasonic - best all rounders, Samsung - nicely styled, nice to use or LG - seem to be a good budget option.

Others have different opinions about Sony sets, but I've never been that keen on them (either CRT or LCDs). I'm not denying they tend to be reliable - but then so are many sets nowdays - but I've always been underwhelmed by Sony's sound and picture performance - especially when they've tended to be more expensive than the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info AlanO.

I have just noticed that the sound is only coming out of the left side and no sound from the right but I would not have noticed other than I have just listened close up. It sounds okay when I sit watching the tv. I think I can hear a tiny tiny buzzing noise out of the right side (oh dear).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed that the FAB picture on my television was, sort of, twitching earlier this afternoon, is that a good or bad sign? I dont think it is doing it just now (ooh eck).
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Noticed that the FAB picture on my television was, sort of, twitching earlier this afternoon, is that a good or bad sign? I dont think it is doing it just now (ooh eck).

If you mean picture going blocky and sound glitching, then that's more likely a problem of your digital reception than your TV set itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info AlanO.

I have just noticed that the sound is only coming out of the left side and no sound from the right but I would not have noticed other than I have just listened close up. It sounds okay when I sit watching the tv. I think I can hear a tiny tiny buzzing noise out of the right side (oh dear).

Try resetting the balance to see if the rhs speaker is busted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks AidanLunn, it was just the pic that was blocky, I am using a Sony digibox that someone gave me a few years ago. The pic is fine at the moment so I will put it down to the digital reception - thanks.

Sue_Aitch, thanks for the suggestion to reset the balance but not sure how to do that. I do have a manual for the other Mitsibushi I had so will have a look in there later.
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the OP wants to buy a new TV at reasonable price then Argos are selling an Hitach 42" LCD TV for £279.99.

It is 1080p full HD and has built in SD Freeview. It also says that it is energy rating C.

The £279.97 price is valid from 28th November to 11th December.

And I am sure that people will as always post on here an say that the Hitachi is crap and just a rebadged Vestal set which is probably made in Turky and yes they will most probably right.

And yes something like a Samung will be better but I have an Hitach L42VP01U which I brought back in 2009 for £599.00 which is now in my study and a Samsung L55C650L1KXXU in my bedroom and the Samsung is the better TV but the Hitachi really isn't that bad and I have had no problemes with it and considering the price I paied for mine the newer model that Argos are selling is I think a bit of a barging for what you are getting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou for the information TV King but I think a 42" is too big, I would prefer a 32".
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word of warning. The most modern sets often only have a single scart socket and even this might b via some form of mini connection to save space, so connecting lots of old type devices with multiple scarts is difficult or impossible. Everything is moving to Hdmi connections.

Sound on many modem sets is also quite poor due to very thin and small speakers.