How long does it take to get your first jobseekers allowance payment?

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went for my introductory meeting at the job centre last Friday, it's now been a week but haven't received any payment...how long does this normally take?

thanks

Comments

• _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about 3 days after you sign on if i remember correctly.
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made my claim over the phone on a Friday. Went to initial interview on the following Wednesday. They arranged my signing day for a Monday (based on NI number I believe), and the money was in my bank on the Thursday. So from my initial meeting where they set up my job seekers agreement etc, it was 8 days. Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Superboy, if they've agreed you're entitled to JSA and you're struggling for money before your first payment, they can arrange either an interim payment or a crisis loan for you. Get in touch with your local jobcentre and ask them when you'll get paid. If it's (eg) next Wednesday and you're totally broke, no food, etc, ask for either a giro for the money (which they may not do), or for the Crisis Loan people's number.

PS - I ended up waiting for a couple of weeks when I first claimed benefits years ago, and it turned out that they'd ticked the wrong box on a form at their end - a typo, basically. I explained everything and it was sorted, but it depended on me to initiate the sorting out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Milian wrote: »
    Superboy, if they've agreed you're entitled to JSA and you're struggling for money before your first payment, they can arrange either an interim payment or a crisis loan for you. Get in touch with your local jobcentre and ask them when you'll get paid. If it's (eg) next Wednesday and you're totally broke, no food, etc, ask for either a giro for the money (which they may not do), or for the Crisis Loan people's number.

PS - I ended up waiting for a couple of weeks when I first claimed benefits years ago, and it turned out that they'd ticked the wrong box on a form at their end - a typo, basically. I explained everything and it was sorted, but it depended on me to initiate the sorting out.

I work for the Job Centre Plus.

Benefit weeks are based on your national insurance number. Money is paid in two week cycles therefore if you are a Monday week 1 for example, and its currently monday week 2, you will have to wait a week until you get paid.

We very very rarely offer interim payments, in fact in my experience a claimant has never been paid early. You can try crisis loans in the meanwhile if you are in dire need of money for an emergency. But you need to explain exactly what you need the money for.

Basically dependant on the last 2 digits of your National Insurance No, thats when you will get paid every 2 weeks.

And also, if you havent got a linking benefit previously, you will have to serve 3 waiting days which you will not be paid for. This does not mean after 3 days you will get your first payment, you have to wait to your next pay day unless its an arrears payment then you will get it sent out as soon as the claim is processed by the benefit office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    I work for the Job Centre Plus.

We very very rarely offer interim payments, in fact in my experience a claimant has never been paid early. You can try crisis loans in the meanwhile if you are in dire need of money for an emergency. But you need to explain exactly what you need the money for.

It's great to get the insider info! :)

However, I've had two interim payments because of screw-ups by the Jobcentre, and I know another person who's had one. I do know they're not given automatically, which is why I told Superboy about it. Unless we ask, we're not given.