Options

Watching Happy Endings on e4 Last Night......

2»

Comments

• Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    It's a real shame. It's a genuinely funny show and the cast are great, particuarly Damon Wayans Jr. and Eliza Coupe. They're proper sitcom actors.

It is tragic that a funny show is cancelled while absolutely awful ones like 2BG and HIMYM, which aren't remotely funny and aren't equip with good comedy actors are so successful. I don't get it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame. It's a genuinely funny show and the cast are great, particuarly Damon Wayans Jr. and Eliza Coupe. They're proper sitcom actors.

It is tragic that a funny show is cancelled while absolutely awful ones like 2BG and HIMYM, which aren't remotely funny and aren't equip with good comedy actors are so successful. I don't get it.
    True... although 2 Broke Girls and How I met Your Mother benefit from airing on CBS, which is the most popular tv channel in america...
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    The episode on +1 right now is awful.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »

I thought it was good, but it was a Thanksgiving episode so that might be why it wasn't as good for you.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't this episode remind anyone else of the Friends episodes, The One with the Prom Video AND The One with the Truth About London? The former because of Penny's crush (and just them all sitting watching something from the past) and the latter because Jane was originally planning to sleep with Jared just like Monica was originally planning on sleeping with Joey. It just felt all too familiar.

The third season for me is not as funny as the first two. Still better than How I Met Your Mother. What a horrid show that is.

For some reason, I watched three Thanksgiving-themed episodes in the last two days, haha. Buffy, The West Wing and now this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Loved the Thanksgiving Episode myself :D
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Usually when it's a weak episode there is at least 1 pairing who can carry it, but last night they were all pretty bad to watch.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree, dude.

How How I Met Your Mother, which is one of the most appalling so-called comedies EVER aired has managed to make it to its 9th series while so many other decent shows have fallen by the wayside boggles my mind.

How I Met Your Mother is boring, stale, canned laughter ridden, poorly acted garbage, and hasn't had an actual laugh out loud joke/sequence in its entire existence.

Josh Radnor has the comic timing of an elephant, and his character is entirely unlikeable;

Jason Segel and his character just whine, shout, gurn and sing lame songs;

Alyson Hannigan is doing her schtick;

Cobie Smulders also has zero comic ability (I'm talking.... NOTHING FUNNY AT ALL);

and Neil Patrick Harris barely keeps the show alive, single-handedly, with an amusing but fatally flawed character.

Meanwhile Happy Endings, which I found quite entertaining, has characters, actors, direction, editing and scripts vastly superior to those on HIMYM and actually makes you laugh.

The cast, and particularly Casey Wilson and Adam Pally, played characters you actually laughed at, with and related to. They could be laugh out loud funny.

HIMYM is anti-comedy. The actors and script actually suck comedy out of the situations they're put in.

I can only hope and pray that revisionist history will lament the fact that HIMYM was allowed to run for so long while shows like Happy Endings got canned.
  • Options
    froggy22froggy22 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I agree with the comparisons to HIMYM. For me, everything important in a comedy show is missing in HIMYM. How it got past the first couple of season will forever be a mystery. I think the reason why people watched it for so long was that the wanted to know who the mother was, which took 8 years. I think the writers were really taking the mick out of the viewers. Sitting through week after week of inane stories just got grating for me. And I don't think I've seen a comedy show with such an unlikable and dull lead character in Ted

Happy endings on the other hand has a great little cast with great comedic timing and stories that are at least enjoyable.

I'll miss Brad's gagging
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    froggy22 wrote: »
    I agree with the comparisons to HIMYM. For me, everything important in a comedy show is missing in HIMYM. How it got past the first couple of season will forever be a mystery. I think the reason why people watched it for so long was that the wanted to know who the mother was, which took 8 years. I think the writers were really taking the mick out of the viewers. Sitting through week after week of inane stories just got grating for me. And I don't think I've seen a comedy show with such an unlikable and dull lead character in Ted

Happy endings on the other hand has a great little cast with great comedic timing and stories that are at least enjoyable.

I'll miss Brad's gagging
    Its always sad....If some of these great comedies that have been canned (Happy Endings, Don't Trust the B---) had aired on CBS, its very likely ratings for both would have been 8 Million + per episode...and they wouldv'e gone on for years :(

Has anyone looked at the trailer for CBS's new fall comedy Mom starring Anna Faris? Looks like trash and yet it will more then likely be the number 1 new show next year. Its just sad.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Its always sad....If some of these great comedies that have been canned (Happy Endings, Don't Trust the B---) had aired on CBS, its very likely ratings for both would have been 8 Million + per episode...and they wouldv'e gone on for years :(

Has anyone looked at the trailer for CBS's new fall comedy Mom starring Anna Faris? Looks like trash and yet it will more then likely be the number 1 new show next year. Its just sad.

Yep, Don't trust the B.... is another one that's genuinely funny with a great cast and yet it goes. I don't really know much about how US tv works but it seems dumb to me.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »

If those shows were on CBS, they'd most likely be terrible!

Anyway, the last two episodes were hilarious. It's picking up again. Shame it's the final season...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned last night's episode off halfway through - didn't even raise a snigger.