Options

Channel 4 becomes first network to launch a plus one HD service?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure Sky Movies Premier HD was rumoured years ago but it seems they have finally launched a plus one but it's Channel 4. Probably as C5 HD isn't on Freeview nor E4 HD.

Comments

• Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Sky Movies Premier HD was rumoured years ago but it seems they have finally launched a plus one but it's Channel 4. Probably as C5 HD isn't on Freeview nor E4 HD.

When did/will this start?

As BBC3 SD will be replaced by BBC1 +1 SD, does anybody know if BBC3 HD will become BBC1 +1 HD?
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,984
    Forum Member
    When did/will this start?

As BBC3 SD will be replaced by BBC1 +1 SD, does anybody know if BBC3 HD will become BBC1 +1 HD?

Channel 4 + 1 HD and 4 seven HD launched today on Freeview.

The answer to your other question is likely to be Yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Channel 4 + 1 HD and 4 seven HD launched today on Freeview.

The answer to your other question is likely to be Yes.

Thanks. I wonder if the new Channel 4 HD channels will launch on Virgin Media and/or satellite?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I wonder if the new Channel 4 HD channels will launch on Virgin Media and/or satellite?

4Viewers said Freeview only however a trusted channel 4 employee on DS has said suggested (but not confirmed) that there are plans to launch on other platforms.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The waste of channel space on Freeview is becoming worse now +1 HD follows all those +1 SD channels. On the channel limited platform like Freeview no +1 channels should be allowed!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    The waste of channel space on Freeview is becoming worse now +1 HD follows all those +1 SD channels. On the channel limited platform like Freeview no +1 channels should be allowed!!

I was under the impression that these channels were being launched on new Freeview capacity that they are finding hard to fill.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,630
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression that these channels were being launched on new Freeview capacity that they are finding hard to fill.

It would be disappointing if BBC 3 HD became BBC 1 + 1 HD - a huge chunk of the country can't receive COM 7. It would make far more sense to put BBC 4 HD in its place.
  • Options
    AdamAnalogueAdamAnalogue Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I contacted Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries about these new channels. They replied:

"We appreciate the time you have taken to email in relation to the launch for 4SEVEN and CHANNEL 4+1 in HD. We are sorry to advise that unfortunately these channels will not be available on other platforms such as Sky, Freesat and VirginMedia.

We appreciate any disappointment this may cause, but we would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4."

:(
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned above, a poster who is trust worthy and works for Channel 4 has stated that 4Viewers won't know anything about the plans for launching on other platforms until it's announced, but plans for other platforms are in the works currently.