Good Morning Britain - another Itv breakfast flop

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Seems that things are changing, ever so slowly. This is what Helen Warner, director of Daytime TV, said back in March:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1283031/itv-ditch-daybreak-good-morning-britain

This is what a GMB source is saying now:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/itv-bosses-worried-susanna-reids-3816952

Might be true, might be made up. Certainly not sourced.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Might be true, might be made up. Certainly not sourced.
    We'll see. If the content moves away from being news-focussed to become "more weather, fun stories, competitions and fluff.” then the report would be vindicated.

Or we might see an official ITV/GMB/Helen Warner denial issued in the next day.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll see. If the content moves away from being news-focussed to become "more weather, fun stories, competitions and fluff.” then the report would be vindicated.

More spin from ITV as the audience continues to decline - so they've now conceded copying an American morning show was a mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that report i correct, then yes, it does look like it.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems that things are changing, ever so slowly. This is what Helen Warner, director of Daytime TV, said back in March:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1283031/itv-ditch-daybreak-good-morning-britain

This is what a GMB source is saying now:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/itv-bosses-worried-susanna-reids-3816952
    If that report i correct, then yes, it does look like it.

No idea how truthful that Mirror report is but after the leaked manual to save Daybreak, which turned out to be true, nothing would surprise me.

Susanna Reid was never good with light & fluffy, she's always been at her best journalistically when on Breakfast. Square pegs, round holes and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing to see here then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Nothing to see here then.

Well, nothing that you want to see .........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Susanna Reid was never good with light & fluffy, she's always been at her best journalistically when on Breakfast. Square pegs, round holes and all that.
    Yes, this will be a big test for her, and whether she sees it as a credible part of her journalistic background. I somehow suspect that it will not sit comfortably with her (especially as the GMB news remit now seems to be changing from what it was when she signed contracts)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this will be a big test for her, and whether she sees it as a credible part of her journalistic background. I somehow suspect that it will not sit comfortably with her (especially as the GMB news remit now seems to be changing from what it was when she signed contracts)

With a one million pound pay cheque is she really going to worry about her ''journalistic background'' ? Surely you don't believe all that twaddle ? Come the
    end of March she'll be off for ''an exciting new project'' as they always say. Good luck to her, she'll be back at the BBC within a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    With a one million pound pay cheque is she really going to worry about her ''journalistic background'' ? Surely you don't believe all that twaddle ? Come the
    end of March she'll be off for ''an exciting new project'' as they always say. Good luck to her, she'll be back at the BBC within a year.
    Outwardly, I don't think that she will show it. But inwardly? I'm not so sure. She will know that she will have damaged any serious credibility that she once had. And to be compared with, and lumped in with the likes of the previous blonde ITV breakfast presenters, and especially Holly W. takes some doing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you are privy to the terms of her ITV contract ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are privy to the terms of her ITV contract ?

No.

Why would I be?

And, based upon my post that you quoted, why would you think that I was?

But let me explain it for you as you seem to be having some difficulty:

Let's just say that she signed contracts X months ago, the content of said contract is of little consequence. And when she signed the contract, the planned news remit as stated publicly was, for the sake of argument, something that we shall call Y.

Now, some X months down the line, ITV begin changing that news remit from Y to a new one that we will call Z.

Therefore, even though the contract is still in force, the news remit is now Z when before it was Y.

Ergo, the news remit has changed (to Z) since the contract was signed (X months ago). The only question that we cannot answer is whether SR was made aware of the likelihood of that change from Y to Z before she signed that contract.

See, it's easy, and no need to know the details of that contract!.

Of course, that all falls apart if the contract was signed with SR being fully aware of a plan (or fallback plan) to change the news remit from Y to Z over a period of time (again, no need to be aware of any contract details). But to plan that way would have been a sneaky if not defeatist move by ITV wouldn't you think?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like Susanna Reid but Sian Williams is better. Always felt comfortable doing news and light stories. ITV should have gone for her or stuck with Kate Garroway/Helen Fospero.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No she won't, given the way her departure was engineered (a la Christine Bleakley)
    I like Susanna Reid but Sian Williams is better. Always felt comfortable doing news and light stories. ITV should have gone for her or stuck with Kate Garroway/Helen Fospero.

As we all know, grooming/promoting your own is not the ITV way; poaching - usually from the BBC - is their modus operandi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she won't, given the way her departure was engineered (a la Christine Bleakley)
    Yes, i would agree that she has burnt her bridges as far as the BBC goes.

And anyway, even if she did want to return, there would have to be a suitable vacancy for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As we all know, grooming/promoting your own is not the ITV way; poaching - usually from the BBC - is their modus operandi.

A bit like the bbc then so!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i would agree that she has burnt her bridges as far as the BBC goes.

And anyway, even if she did want to return, there would have to be a suitable vacancy for her.

I'm sure if the BBC wanted her badly enough they would find a vacancy, they don't seem to bother advertising jobs any more as we've seen with BBC News and Jonathan Munro so that wouldn't be a problem.I see from one of the Sunday papers that Ms Bleakley is off to New York with Frank Lampard so presumably her TV career here is at an end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure if the BBC wanted her badly enough they would find a vacancy, they don't seem to bother advertising jobs any more as we've seen with BBC News and Jonathan Munro so that wouldn't be a problem
    I thought that you would bring that into the discussion. Not advertising a job (for whatever reason, reasons that have been widely discussed in another thread) is very different from actually having a vacancy or needing to create one when there is no actual requirement (or budget) for one.

And, as I recall, when she made it known that she was talking to ITV, the BBC seemed to be saying that there was nothing for her in London (so by your yardstick they couldn't have wanted to retain her outside of BBC Breakfast).
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah that would help. Two people who are GMTV all over.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    People like stability, not chopping and changing. Particularly when chopping and changing leads it go back to being the way it was.

My message to bosses, give it time, and let it evolve gradually, stop wasting millions on revamps that alienate the audience and just have the effect of taking it back to where it was
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sian Williams knows which side her bread's buttered. She stayed with the BBC and has done Saturday Live on Radio 4 Sat mornings, and the BBC1 Sunday morning debate show, whatever it's called ("Let's all shout at each other"?)
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    and the BBC1 Sunday morning debate show, whatever it's called ("Let's all shout at each other"?)

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I thought this would be worth mentioning here
    On Friday 19 September at 6am, following its overnight results programme, STV will air Scotland This Morning – How the Nation Voted, hosted by John MacKay and Andrea Brymer. The programme will examine the outcome of the referendum with reactions from around the country as Scotland wakes up to the result.

http://news.prod.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/290750-stv-announces-extensive-overnight-independence-referendum-coverage/
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Scotland This Morning - or F*** You England as it will probably come to be known, whichever way the vote goes! :D
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    Scotland This Morning - or F*** You England as it will probably come to be known, whichever way the vote goes! :D

Wasn`t that the first TV test broadcast by John Logie Baird?

I`d encourage the Scots to vote Yes if I thought it`d stop them moaning about the English but what else would they fill the hours with if they get their wish?? :D