Options

TV or Cinema?

Comments

• Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought the cinima would be free since its bbc however cant justify the price of cinemas going to see DW In big screen

tv for me as nice warm house no one talking over you or people to annoy also warm rather than going out to watch doctor who

also for those who have 3d tv i am sure bbc will air both 3d and 2d version on both channels
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought the cinima would be free since its bbc however cant justify the price of cinemas going to see DW In big screen

tv for me as nice warm house no one talking over you or people to annoy also warm rather than going out to watch doctor who

also for those who have 3d tv i am sure bbc will air both 3d and 2d version on both channels

lol of course it wouldn't be free, it would have cost the bbc hundreds of thousands of pounds to hire all those screens to put it on free

its 2d on bbc 1 hd and bbc 1 and 3d on red button hd (which annoyingly isn't on sky)
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol of course it wouldn't be free, it would have cost the bbc hundreds of thousands of pounds to hire all those screens to put it on free

its 2d on bbc 1 hd and bbc 1 and 3d on red button hd (which annoyingly isn't on sky)

it cost them that much to hire the screens for a few weeks during the Olympics but they were free,but at the end of the day who can blame the cinemas for wanting to make money,after all it costs for electricity and workers
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    it cost them that much to hire the screens for a few weeks during the Olympics but they were free,but at the end of the day who can blame the cinemas for wanting to make money,after all it costs for electricity and workers

It also costs in terms of the lost revenue from not using the screen for a paid-for screening!
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

Is that confirmed? There's no way to view the 3D version on Sky? :eek:

We could watch all the extra feeds, including the 3D feeds, during the Olympics. They were just being aired on extra channels elsewhere on the planner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Cinema for me. We don't get any jibber-jabber in our local English cinema here. It'll almost certainly be full of fans that want to watch it. As good as sold out too so should be a great atmosphere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uni are showing The Five Doctors in the cinema tomorrow :) Although I'll miss it since I'm going to Comic Con, but I'm sure I'll get a big enough Doctor Who fix there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I wanted the cinema obly if I could have gotten tickets for the BFI, but just to pop to my local Odeon? Nah, I'll stay at home so I can watch it without some people disturbing and distracting me thanks.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deffiently TV,the price of the cinema ticket plus travel expenses will be better spent on the blu ray release of the story ;)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cinema! Two sets of tickets at the minute as the Saturday was sold out, so I bought for the Monday, then extra Saturday seats were added. I should probably cancel one set...
  • Options
    FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Cinema first with my daughter and fellow Whovians then on TV afterwards thanks to Sky+ HD.
    It's a special occasion. I want to mark it by doing something I don't usually do.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uni are showing The Five Doctors in the cinema tomorrow :) Although I'll miss it since I'm going to Comic Con, but I'm sure I'll get a big enough Doctor Who fix there!

Interesting, my uni is showing the Five Doctors too, think I might go.
    You're the second person today in this sub forum to suggest that you might go to the same Uni as me. The other person mentioned going to the Leamington cinema showing, am I close? :p
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am usually a bit of a Kermodian grump when it comes to the cinema. I tend to go at quiet times and hate massive packed screenings.

But on this occasion as I am not going to the Con I wanted to mark it somehow. And its fine. I can enjoy the screening with fellow Whovians and then know that after a few drinks I can get home and watch it in quiet as much as I like via Iplayer.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Definitely cinema. Probably once in a lifetime!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Follow-up thought: do we think the sold out cinemas across the globe make a full film production noticeably more likely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    In the cinema you can flop out your wand and no one will necessarily see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Interesting, my uni is showing the Five Doctors too, think I might go.
    You're the second person today in this sub forum to suggest that you might go to the same Uni as me. The other person mentioned going to the Leamington cinema showing, am I close? :p

Oh wow, yep - small world! :D
  • Options
    FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member

That's what Pee Wee Herman thought. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kramer wrote: »
    You won't be able to hide behind your seat in the cinema :D

But it'll be much easier to hide behind someone else's seat.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Ohh sod the cinema! I'll be watching at home on a big enough screen with my mates around me and a few cans!!
    Who needs 3D when you're p****d and happy!! :D:D

(hate people nearby that interrupt with popcorn etc anyway!)
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    TV I don't like 3D
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, yep - small world! :D

:D I suppose the odds are pretty good considering there are 23,000 students! Did you see that they showed some of the orphan Doctor Who episodes at the cinema a few months ago? It was quite an experience to see the early episodes on the big screen, and for the bargain student price as well!

I will be watching at the cinema (in Leam) despite being fully aware of the irony of paying £10 to see something I could see for free! I'm going almost entirely for the atmosphere but also the epic-ness that a large screen and surround sound can offer. I'll take or leave 3D, don't dislike it but usually don't bother to pay extra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    :D I suppose the odds are pretty good considering there are 23,000 students! Did you see that they showed some of the orphan Doctor Who episodes at the cinema a few months ago? It was quite an experience to see the early episodes on the big screen, and for the bargain student price as well!

I will be watching at the cinema (in Leam) despite being fully aware of the irony of paying £10 to see something I could see for free! I'm going almost entirely for the atmosphere but also the epic-ness that a large screen and surround sound can offer. I'll take or leave 3D, don't dislike it but usually don't bother to pay extra.

I'm a fresher, so I don't think I was around at that time :) But I'm sure it would be worth it, for those reasons you mentioned! I'd also go to Leam but I'm going home that weekend for a gig, so it'll be nice to watch it with the family (so long as there's a strict no talking rule!).
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Barrowman!