Samsung TV connected to Philips Blu-ray (a morons guide please)

I have a Samsung Smart model # PS51E6500EU which has been connected to a Philips 3D Blu-ray surround system via just a HDMI lead. I have scanned the manuals and still cannot understand how to successfully get the two working. Blu-ray works fine when playing discs but just cannot get the sound to work with TV programmes.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Does your tv have an audio return channel on any of its HDMI ports ??
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the manual available on the Samsung website HDMI 2 on the TV has ARC enabled on it. So if the Phillips surround system also supports ARC on the HDMI out then that would seem the easiest solution.

If the Phillips system does not support ARC then a separate lead from the TV to the Phillips is required. Ideally using the optical digital out of the TV to a digital input on the Phillips (optical can be easily converted to electrical - AKA coaxial - if necessary).

It would help to know the model of the surround system to be able to offer more specific advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My surround sound is Philips HTS53563/12,

I have attempted to use an optical cable, the red and yellow cables and nothing works. I have tried different audio sources on the DVD player, changed to external speakers on the TV and nothing.

Surround sound works with discs, the TV works independantly but cannot get them to work together. Have a picture but no sound.

I would be very grateful for any advice.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The on-line manuals suggest both the TV and surround system have ARC on HDMI.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3563_12/hts3563_12_dfu_aen.pdf
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201203/20120327103959920/01-XTDVBEUE-ENG-0327.pdf

It would appear the TV uses HDMI 2 for ARC so that is the HDMI socket the Phillips system must be plugged into to make ARC work. If you do not have it plugged into HDMI 2 then swap it to that and try again.

From the TV manual
    You can listen to sound from the TV through a receiver connected using an HDMI cable without connecting
    a separate optical cable. To listen to sound through a receiver using the ARC function, go to Receiver screen (System→ Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) → Receiver). Then select Receiver and set to On
    From the Phillips manual
    Set up the audio
    If you cannot hear the audio output of a connected device through your home theater speakers, check that you have enabled Easylink on all the devices (see 'Enable EasyLink' on page 12).

Then, set up the EasyLink audio control.
    1 Press (Home).
    2 Select [Setup], and then press OK.
    3 Select [EasyLink]> [System Audio Control] > [On].
    • To play the audio from the TV speakers, select [Off], and skip the following steps.
    4 Select [EasyLink]> [Audio Input Mapping].
    5 Follow the onscreen instructions to map the connected device to the audio inputs on your home theater.
    • If you connect your home theater to the TV through an HDMI ARC connection, make sure that the TV audio is mapped to the ARC input on your home theater.
    Give that a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    My surround sound is Philips HTS53563/12,

I have attempted to use an optical cable, the red and yellow cables and nothing works. I have tried different audio sources on the DVD player, changed to external speakers on the TV and nothing.

Surround sound works with discs, the TV works independantly but cannot get them to work together. Have a picture but no sound.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

As Chris says , plug the HDMI cable into HDMI 2 on tv
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have HDMI spec 1.4 on the HDMI leads otherwise they are missing the ARC wires.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you all,
    My lounge at the moment has more wires than BBC studio 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried all the instructions for which I am grateful. But its not working, I am giving up before I smash threes thing through the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have ordered the above cable just in case mine are inferior.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried the new cable, it doesn't appear to have worked. I am totally incompetant. If anyone has an answer and lives in Eastbourne theres a drink in it for you.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the same tv, but a sony surround system - I tried a couple of hdmi leads and it was either that or activating the anynet+ thing that made it work, took me a couple of hours on boxing day though. The rear speakers only work on the 'auto' setting when watching iplayer or usb stuff.

checking it the points I notice are:
    * I find I have to switch the surround on slightly before the tv
    *in the bluray's own menu I have the input set as TV, but obviously mine is a different model
    *Just checked and 'anynet+' is found in menu/system and scroll down. Underneath screen burn protection and General.

Hope that helps in some way.