What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I love Michael Marshall (Smith), Lizzy. Have you read any of his other books? If not i can recommend Only Forward. It's very surreal, but brilliantly executed and just when you think you know what's going on, you don't.

A truly underrated but fantastic writer.

I've read 'em all I think :D Yes he is great. I'm more fond of his "Strawmen" series than any other because its more my sort of genre, but I've never read anything of his I didnt like.

Still waiting to start it though as I finished the Ellory (and now have his 3 part novella on my kindle to read which I promised him I would do in short order!) plus I've got a couple of other books I need to read due to promises made on Twitter!

So, am reading x 2 at the moment - Pretty Girl 13 by Liz Coley. A YA novel about a girl who goes missing then turns up 3 years later with no knowledge of where she has been. Pretty intriguing so far. And "Broken Dreams" by Nick Quantrill - the first in a series featuring Private Investigater Joe Geraghty which is shaping up nicely :)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Just finished Empire Of The Sun by JG Ballard

Found it exhilarating, fascinating and exhausting in equal measure. Fabulous book.

Fancy a quick, light read before I start Hangover Square, so am currently reading Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Reluctantly finished After The Fall by Charity Norman...it was such a great read didn't want it to end.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished "The Chessmen" .. last of Peter May's Lewis Trilogy .. a superior crime series and well crafted characters and plots
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Cathi Unsworth- Weirdo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty Girl 13 was really good but horrible at the same time. Tackled some very adult issues and took a look at disassociative identity disorder. For a YA novel it was quite hard hitting.

Now reading "3 Days in Chicagoland" by RJ Ellory which is basically a 3 part novella. Each part is 99p for the Kindle and I have to say its totally awesome so far. Reminds me quite a lot of "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" short story by Stephen King that was turned into one of my favourite movies ever.

Also reading "Broken Dreams" by Nick Quantrill. Its excelllent - highly recommended if you like a good crime read. Follows a PI investigating a murder and a disappearance. Well written.
  • Frunchy2904Frunchy2904 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - really into this and hear they are making a movie of this sometime this year.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fault Line by Robert Goddard:)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Flowers by Steve Mosby
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    JD Robb - Naked In Death

.. and wondering why I have only just started this series!!
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    JD Robb - Naked In Death

.. and wondering why I have only just started this series!![/QUOTE

You're in for a treat! I'm halfway through the series and they are really entertaining and gripping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I've just finished Deity by Steven Dunne, and was quite nonplussed by the ending. In fact, I think I'll have to re-read the last few chapters, because I'm confused!!! Having really enjoyed Reaper, and The Disciple, this one's come as a bit of a let-down. Or maybe it's me....
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Brick Lane Monica Ali
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angiebroch wrote: »
    I've just finished Deity by Steven Dunne, and was quite nonplussed by the ending. In fact, I think I'll have to re-read the last few chapters, because I'm confused!!! Having really enjoyed Reaper, and The Disciple, this one's come as a bit of a let-down. Or maybe it's me....

He's on Twitter you could always ask him whats what! Or I'll ask for you if you don't have Twitter :D

I havent read Deity yet, have read the others.

Currently reading Kindle book "We Are Here" by Michael Marshall and print book "The Devils Playground" by Stav Sherez. Both really good, trying to divide my time equally between the 2!
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend.

The Woman In White on the Kindle
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to blow the cobwebs off Neuromancer by William Gibson. It'll be the first dead tree edition I've read in quite some time, and I've heard really good things about this book so am looking forward to getting started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Pretty Girl 13 was really good but horrible at the same time. Tackled some very adult issues and took a look at disassociative identity disorder. For a YA novel it was quite hard hitting.

Just about to start this one. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading Deity by Stephen Dunne now I want to see if I get nonplussed as well angie! :)

Oh and Cellar Door! I spoke to Michael Marshall on Twitter this morning and he's going to do another book in the Straw Men series at some point. VERY excited :D
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angiebroch wrote: »

I read this last year, and although the details about the story are a bit hazy in my mind now, I thought it was a brilliant book (especially the ending!). Mind you, I hadn't read Dunne's previous stuff so I can't really compare books. Be interested to know what it was about the ending you didn't like? And Lizzy's thoughts too.....she'll probably have finished it by now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I read this last year, and although the details about the story are a bit hazy in my mind now, I thought it was a brilliant book (especially the ending!). Mind you, I hadn't read Dunne's previous stuff so I can't really compare books. Be interested to know what it was about the ending you didn't like? And Lizzy's thoughts too.....she'll probably have finished it by now :D

Not quite :D

But close ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Train spotting by Irvine Welsh, I'm enjoying it so far, it's really quite humorous. I'm also finding it a bit disturbing, I'd hate to find myself living life as they do.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Elizabeth Haynes- Human Remains

Has anyone else read this? Thoughts?
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calico Joe by John Grisham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth Haynes- Human Remains

Has anyone else read this? Thoughts?

Me. I loved it! A real character piece. I adore her books anyway, I liked this one because there is no mystery element really, but the characterisation is superb.

As for me, I finished "Deity" and loved it. Am now reading :

Print book : Nightmare by Stephen Leather
    Kindle book : London Calling by Paul Cornell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Innocent by David Baldacci. A Mother's Day gift from my daughter. He is one of my favourite authors, especially for his Camel Club books.