Do you think Internet giants like Google and Yahoo should remove extremist websites?

cyberwarcyberwar Posts: 4,193
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't think they should.

If they are banned, how can these people be monitored, they will be driven underground. Then we won't know what they are up to.

What do you think?

Comments

• RampentRampent Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyberwar wrote: »
    I don't think they should.

If they are banned, how can these people be monitored, they will be driven underground. Then we won't know what they are up to.

What do you think?

You missed the 'Opines' bit.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, absolutely not.

There are many things on the internet which if I had my Conservative hat on I'd say 'ban it' such as extremism (including far-right Nazi/EDL stuff) and pro-anorexia websites, but censorship is just incompatible with the internet and progress.

Everyone take 5 minutes to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66FUc61MvU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No, absolutely not.

There are many things on the internet which if I had my Conservative hat on I'd say 'ban it' such as extremism (including far-right Nazi/EDL stuff) and pro-anorexia websites, but censorship is just incompatible with the internet and progress.

Everyone take 5 minutes to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66FUc61MvU

I don't have five mins - I need a pee right now :eek:
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    How are they going to define extremist anyway? I would rather not have some 1984 scenario where we have some Ministry for truth telling us what we should think and what we can know about what happens in the world. It's a hugely slippery slope imo
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    If it's illegal it'll be removed by the proper authorities or by the web host that's hosting it.

If not then no they shouldn't, because nobody likes censorship. Not even the "free" press that only censors things when they can do it to make a story better fit their ideology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    How are they going to define extremist anyway? I would rather not have some 1984 scenario where we have some Ministry for truth telling us what we should think and what we can know about what happens in the world. It's a hugely slippery slope imo

Well this is precisely it - where do we draw the line?

A free, open and uncensored internet is a requirement of keeping extremism out of government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rampent wrote: »
    I don't have five mins - I need a pee right now :eek:

If you're that strapped for time then listen in from 4 minutes 50 seconds :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The powers that be want to ban/censor so called "Extremist" (their weasel word for Islamic) videos and websites but I bet they will allow vile racist bile such as "My Tram Experience" to remain on the web.
  • cyberwarcyberwar Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, absolutely not.

I've taken 5, this is what I am worried about, most especially since 9/11, control of the Internet by the US & UK is more dangerous than people realise.

I understand certain sites need to be monitored but where do you draw the line.

All this linking of FB , Yahoo, Google, and Twitter etc accounts is also a way of monitoring what people are doing, I refuse to link all my accounts, they also know by you accounts linked what you are looking at and what you are purchasing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken 5, this is what I am worried about, most especially since 9/11, control of the Internet by the US & UK is more dangerous than people realise.

I understand certain sites need to be monitored nut where do you draw the line.

All this linking of FB , Yahoo, Google, and Twitter etc accounts is also a way of monitoring what people are doing, I refuse to link all my accounts, they also know by you accounts linked what you are looking at and what you are purchasing.

Basically.

People need to take some healthy skepticism when it comes to internet censorship - it isn't 'conspiracy theorist' to be afraid of the effects of this.

I think most Australians are unaware of what ASIO can/are doing now and it's very worrying that such legislation can be passed without major uproar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're that strapped for time then listen in from 4 minutes 50 seconds :)

I'm back :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NII 88 wrote: »
    The powers that be want to ban/censor so called "Extremist" (their weasel word for Islamic) videos and websites but I bet they will allow vile racist bile such as "My Tram Experience" to remain on the web.

Like Youtube, the racism is unbelievable, yet they scream about racism in football, youtube is worse.

Kids watch Youtube like crazy, they see these vile comments every day, it's normal. Google does nothing about it.

It's as if Google supports racism, and homophobia etc. It means Jack Shite to them.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Censorship is censorship whatever way you dress it up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with restricting access to certain sites from under 18s (and I'd include youtube in that), but you could argue that signing up to an ISP requires entering into a contract that no-one under 18 can legally do so forms a defacto age restriction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically.

People need to take some healthy skepticism when it comes to internet censorship - it isn't 'conspiracy theorist' to be afraid of the effects of this.

I think most Australians are unaware of what ASIO can/are doing now and it's very worrying that such legislation can be passed without major uproar.

What are the Aussie's doing? Different general topic. The internet is about free speech but any website that promotes harm to others and themselves should be shut down as it could start a progression of any feeling to evolve .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the Aussie's doing? Different general topic. The internet is about free speech but any website that promotes harm to others and themselves should be shut down as it could start a progression of any feeling to evolve .

In Australia it's now legal for the government to monitor and store any electronic communication, which includes internet searches/usage, text messages, facebook messages, BBM/SnapChat type messages, emails, VOIP calls etc.

Very scary stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Australia it's now legal for the government to monitor and store any electronic communication, which includes internet searches/usage, text messages, facebook messages, BBM/SnapChat type messages, emails, VOIP calls etc.

Very scary stuff.

It sounds really scary, Big Brother is watching every site you go to, so there is no privacy?

Not saying I troll websites that you probably shouldn't.

I think that would make you very paranoid as to what websites you go to.

I think the way to go is to monitor the undesirable sites, rather than snooping on the general population, I think they may have a legit reason to begin with, but then they take it a step further which infringes peoples privacy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very scary stuff.

Scary but im unsure if they can do it. On a plus side if they can it will lead to thousands of jobs.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »

^This
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scary but im unsure if they can do it. On a plus side if they can it will lead to thousands of jobs.

Well, I am afraid to say yes, they can do it. It was recently pushed through and I don't care if it creates 1 million jobs, it's the sort of thing that can (and probably will) utterly stifle all progress in future.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No to censoring the interwebs.

And no to governments having unlimited power to monitor people on the internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I am afraid to say yes, they can do it. It was recently pushed through and I don't care if it creates 1 million jobs, it's the sort of thing that can (and probably will) utterly stifle all progress in future.

How can ordinary folks stop it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can ordinary folks stop it?

Writing to/telephoning MP's (and MEP's) would be a great start.

In the US the general public managed to get SOPA/PIPA dropped because they all called their congressmen and effectively jammed the phone lines of The White House and other government institutions. So many people expressed unhappiness with the proposed bills that they were shelved.

No doubt SOPA/PIPA will come back off the shelf in future under a new name and with some tweaks but hopefully we will see a repeat performance by the US electorate :)

Because Australia is currently experiencing a mining boom there is much less social discontent there than in other countries such as the UK & US. I guess that makes it easier for their government to pass shady laws without scrutiny.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writing to/telephoning MP's (and MEP's) would be a great start.

In the US the general public managed to get SOPA/PIPA dropped because they all called their congressmen and effectively jammed the phone lines of The White House and other government institutions. So many people expressed unhappiness with the proposed bills that they were shelved.

No doubt SOPA/PIPA will come back off the shelf in future under a new name and with some tweaks but hopefully we will see a repeat performance by the US electorate :)

Because Australia is currently experiencing a mining boom there is much less social discontent there than in other countries such as the UK & US. I guess that makes it easier for their government to pass shady laws without scrutiny.

CISPA is likely to pass without many people knowing. ;) Texas just passed amendments that don't address the serious issues to do with privacy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The time to write to your MP's is now..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22673156
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean from their search results? I don't think either Google or Yahoo! offer webhosting whatsoever, let alone extremist sites.

Either way, I don't care either way. I don't search for them.