Options

Were Rough Copy too leftfield/urban/edgy/street to be in the final

Comments

• Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the opposite actually. They weren't urban or edgy enough in my opinion, they sang very safe and boring songs (and not very well). They just seem dated to me, it's a shame as I think with their energy they could really have pulled off some more upbeat modern songs and perhaps I'd have enjoyed them a bit more.

I do think they went down that road to fit in the show.I suspect they were advised to do so.If they sang songs in their genre they wouldnt have got to the semi final because the demographics of te viewers dont comprehend or know those songs.If Nicole had been their mentor they would have done urban street songs.The songs were Gary Barlow style.

They did enough to get a deal to record their style of music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    I do think they went down that road to fit in the show.I suspect they were advised to do so.If they sang songs in their genre they wouldnt have got to the semi final because the demographics of te viewers dont comprehend or know those songs.If Nicole had been their mentor they would have done urban street songs.The songs were Gary Barlow style.

Lets face it, nothing that enters and exits from X Factor is leftfield/edgy/street or original for that matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, its just because the GBP prefer bland and boring white acts.

Exactly and anything else is cocky and arrogant.That is the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Lets face it, nothing that enters and exits from X Factor is leftfield/edgy/street or original for that matter.

How many urban/street acts have been on the Xfactor?? Even rappers,country and rock singers wouldnt win it.It is a pop show.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you heard any of their own songs? They are actually pretty good and definitely R&B.
    I hope they get a deal with someone who gets them and they don't do a JLS and sell out completely for fame and money.

As bad as Gary was as a mentor, if they wouldn't have had the problems last year with Kaz then Louis would have been their mentor and they'd have been wearing shiny suits and performing Westlife covers on stools doing airgrabs
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »

Absolutely. I doubt The Do or GY!BE would get much beyond the room auditions.
  • Options
    Elle94Elle94 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    They are an R&B band who allowed themselves to be watered down to get exposure on a tv talent show.
    Having heard material they've done prior to the show, it is a million miles from most of the dross they were asked to churn out for prime time tv.
    I think it ended up not quite working as their image and style didn't fit with the songs they were performing. The few times they did do up tempo or showed glimpses of who they really are were their best weeks by far.

Hopefully, they'll get something out of this on a label who gets them more than the XF did
    Love your post. I agree with you 100%
  • Options
    racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I would suggest it was their inability to sing in tune.
    That is exactly what i was about to say...and the crowd at my local who watched it on the big screen for a laugh thought the same... Luke was liked....:)
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racol5 wrote: »
    That is exactly what i was about to say...and the crowd at my local who watched it on the big screen for a laugh thought the same... Luke was liked....:)

I'm not sure you can trust the opinions of ethanol addicts at one of their "sessions".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    RC might be Gary Barlow's idea of edgy/urban, but by definition anyone who really fell into that category wouldn't be seen dead on this show. And they were pretty weak singers who couldn't harmonise. They only lasted so long because they performed well and had a little bit of charisma.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were a bit out of tune to be in the final, just ask mrs o who cannot stomach to actually send them thru after that sing-off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you heard any of their own songs? They are actually pretty good and definitely R&B.
    I hope they get a deal with someone who gets them and they don't do a JLS and sell out completely for fame and money.

As bad as Gary was as a mentor, if they wouldn't have had the problems last year with Kaz then Louis would have been their mentor and they'd have been wearing shiny suits and performing Westlife covers on stools doing airgrabs

No I havent but from the show I could tell that they pretty knew what they were doing.Them and Gary and those around them knew who they are and that they had to fit in the show to give themselves a platform.

I have watched some of their interviews pre Xfactor,they have been supporting big acts and are known on the circuit.

I watched them this morning and even the presenters were like 'this was just a competetion'.Stirling talked of a single and album after the Xfactor tour.

I cant see them not being signed.They have more commercial value than any of the finalists.They did enough to get a record deal for their own songs.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo Rough Copy's performances were not very Urban, and I think they got the least votes last night because certain demos keep ruining the competition by keep voting for Nicholas when I don't think he should be getting votes.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are an R&B band who allowed themselves to be watered down to get exposure on a tv talent show.
    Having heard material they've done prior to the show, it is a million miles from most of the dross they were asked to churn out for prime time tv.
    I think it ended up not quite working as their image and style didn't fit with the songs they were performing. The few times they did do up tempo or showed glimpses of who they really are were their best weeks by far.

Hopefully, they'll get something out of this on a label who gets them more than the XF did

You know I would agree with you. I know they can sing and that is what disappoints me about them...and I agree that some of the materials they did before XF was good. I'm hoping someone signs them as well because I know they are not as bad as what we seen on TV or what people think :(
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not in the final because when there was not a track of backing singers covering them they were very obviously woefully out of tune. I do like them but they did have tuning problems.

I would also say they were not edgy or left of field enough - they were actually a bit boy band IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    racol5 wrote: »

Luke can be liked but he doesnt have the commercial value RC have.Record Executives use their heads not hearts.That is why Sharon did a runner because she used her heart to allow a boring final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    They are not in the final because when there was not a track of backing singers covering them they were very obviously woefully out of tune. I do like them but they did have tuning problems.

I would also say they were not edgy or left of field enough - they were actually a bit boy band IMO.

Huh? They are not girls?
    That was a show image which they adopted to get exposure.They are not a pop act.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you're right, I mean, this is the show that tried to market Cher Lloyd as urban, it makes sense that when they actually have a potentially interesting act they'd mess it up. I never warmed to these guys on the show, but I do hope they get to do what they want now they've had a bit of exposure.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo Rough Copy's performances were not very Urban, and I think they got the least votes last night because certain demos keep ruining the competition by keep voting for Nicholas when I don't think he should be getting votes.

Ruining the competition by voting for someone who could sing? Cool story, bro.
  • Options
    NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they edgy? Never noticed.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were they edgy? Never noticed.

they're very near the edge of the correct note :blush::blush:
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    well they used to be all those things , i don't like that kind of style or music but it is what made them different , not just a generic boy band you normally see on this show. in the end other than the clothes, they abandoned it and lost who they were. they became like other bands that had been on the show , normal singing. im sure they used to rap before they got into the final?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Ruining the competition by voting for someone who could sing? Cool story, bro.

Yes ruining the Xfactor franchise by voting for someone who wiill not sell a single record and contribute to a boring final.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ruining the Xfactor franchise by voting for someone who wiill not sell a single record and contribute to a boring final.

Oh ok, Mystic Meg.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they just weren't very good singers.

Honestly surprised they got this far to be honest.