Options

HP brings back Windows 7

Comments

• Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the logic they rely on to sell new computers - people buying new to be up to date. For most purposes, that most people have, a W7 machine will do everything as well- better if you have to click more to get from A to B, or if finding out whats going, on or changing a setting takes longer.

The flaw in your argument though, is that possibly apart from the act of shutting down a machine, EVERYTHING can be done more quickly in Windows 8 than Windows 7.

Right-click the start button and you have access to all common administration tools. Open file explorer, and you have every option you need within 2 clicks. The start menu is capable of searching your whole machine as well as the internet - could 7 do this? No, it couldn't!

Not singling you out here, but most of the criticisms of Windows 8 are just bollocks TBH. They just don't like change and don't like to learn anything new.

As for the guy saying the take up for Windows 8 has been minuscule compared with 7 in business, most businesses I've worked in have only just got around to putting 7 on the machines. How long has it been out? About 7 years? Hardly a fair comparison, and you may be surprised how many businesses are seriously looking into Windows 8.1, because they know that the future devices are going to be touch driven.

Personally, I have a feeling that although everyone hates Windows 8, MS has possibly pulled out a master stroke with this one, moving everyone gradually over to touch interfaces without pissing off their core customers by being compatible with legacy apps at the same time.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the guy saying the take up for Windows 8 has been minuscule compared with 7 in business, most businesses I've worked in have only just got around to putting 7 on the machines. How long has it been out? About 7 years? Hardly a fair comparison, and you may be surprised how many businesses are seriously looking into Windows 8.1, because they know that the future devices are going to be touch driven.

As "the guy" in question, didn't I say most businesses have only just got around to putting 7 on their machines?

Wait a minute....
    It is the same for business, which is the real measure of an OS success, the takeup of Windows 8 has been miniscule in comparison to Windows 7, indeed many companies are only just upgrading to Windows 7 from XP and that is only because MS are withdrawing support for XP.

Oh yeah.... I did.

And didn't I also say that for touchscreen devices Windows 8 is a brilliant OS?
    I have used Windows 8 on a laptop, infact I downloaded the pre-releases and gave my feedback to MS so could have got Windows 8 virtually free, but for a laptop with a mouse the UI is too cumbersome. It is a brilliant touchscreen OS and that is where its focus should have been. Either that or for a laptop or PC the UI should have been configurable according to the users wishes.

Oh yeah.... I did....
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next version of Windows will probably make a play of returning to their core values. It will be well received and sell by the shed load. The version after that will be drastic and not liked. I'm detecting a pattern.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    The next version of Windows will probably make a play of returning to their core values. It will be well received and sell by the shed load. The version after that will be drastic and not liked. I'm detecting a pattern.

To quote Spaced; "I mean, it's a fact, sure as day follows night, sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd-numbered Star Trek movie is shit."
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Right-click the start button and you have access to all common administration tools. Open file explorer, and you have every option you need within 2 clicks. The start menu is capable of searching your whole machine as well as the internet - could 7 do this? No, it couldn't!

Though not in a unified UI, you can search the Internet (as well as your whole machine) from the start menu in Windows 7. They removed it being enabled by default (as it was in Vista) because their telemetry said no-one used it.
    As for the guy saying the take up for Windows 8 has been minuscule compared with 7 in business, most businesses I've worked in have only just got around to putting 7 on the machines. How long has it been out? About 7 years?

Its been out 4.5 years not 7.

Dave
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    The flaw in your argument though, is that possibly apart from the act of shutting down a machine, EVERYTHING can be done more quickly in Windows 8 than Windows 7.

But not quicker (or easier for established Windows users) than in Windows 8 with classic Start Menus. Which is the very point that some seem by accident or design to avoid. Metro in all its incarnations is the problem for many users on a PC, not Windows 8.

I still find it hard to believe that Microsoft allowed all the fuss to develop - over the blooming front-end of an otherwise much improved operating system. By not (even now) providing PC users with the choice of which to use as the startup front-end (Metro being an option within Start Menu, alternatively Start Menu as an option within Metro) they must either be as thick as two short planks, or so arrogant that they don't care even if their company suffers because of it.
    Personally, I have a feeling that although everyone hates Windows 8, MS has possibly pulled out a master stroke with this one, moving everyone gradually over to touch interfaces without pissing off their core customers by being compatible with legacy apps at the same time.

I think not. On the contrary, they have done a great deal of long-term harm to their company IMO, because they could (and should) have satisfied everyone without closing off any future options.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVERYTHING can be done more quickly in Windows 8 than Windows 7.

unless you have a lot of software with many sub folders as i have - Windows 8 puts absolutely everything on the stupid start page in expanded form, which means you have to wade through loads of items to find what you want. Windows 7 start menu has all my software in a dozen or so folders, making stuff faster to find.

The start menu folder is still there in 8 - on one of my (test) Windows 8.1 machines I actually made a desktop shortcut to

This PC>Local Disk C:>ProgramData>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu>Programs

which is a kinda DIY start menu fix, but a new OS shouldn't need fixing
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »

It's been that way for years and it will never change. They always bring out a good version followed by a bad one followed by another good version and so on (eg XP - good, Vista - bad, 7 - good, 8.x - bad, 9 - will likely be good).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As "the guy" in question, didn't I say most businesses have only just got around to putting 7 on their machines?

Wait a minute....

Oh yeah.... I did.

So tell me, how can you come to the conclusion that the take up for Windows 8 is minuscule compared with Windows 7; in your own words "most businesses have only just got around to putting Windows 7 on machines". Does that not suggest that the take up for Windows 7 wasn't particularly great initially, either.

The other point is, which you have touched upon, is that if businesses are busy installing Windows 7, they aren't just going to drop all their plans to install 8/8.1, which could certainly account for the low initial take up.

Lets face it, none of us know until Windows 8.1 is as old as Windows 7 is now as to whether it's been a success.

FWIW, I agree Windows 8 needed some work, 8.1 is significantly better, although still not perfect - I'm not blind to its faults. Agreed, it's fantastic as a touch screen OS.

In a few years, the world will be awash with touch screen devices, and Windows 7 ain't too clever on a touchscreen - I can see Windows 8 having something of a renaissance.

But saying that, I can see the sheep mentality now who will blindly say Windows 9 is better even if it turns out to be crap, just so they can continue the "every other release is crap" mantra... :)
    The Rat wrote: »
    Though not in a unified UI, you can search the Internet (as well as your whole machine) from the start menu in Windows 7. They removed it being enabled by default (as it was in Vista) because their telemetry said no-one used it.

Can you? I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a link? I only ask because as far as I'm concerned, the 7 start menu never had the ability to search the internet out of the box - I remember trying to make it do as much some years ago, and gave up because the results were sub-par at best. Windows 8.1 is pretty good at searching the internet out of the box, albeit with bing (which I'm not keen on, admittedly).

Its been out 4.5 years not 7.

Dave

I'll give you that one, it seems like its been around a lot longer, but you're right - I must be thinking of Vista.
    d'@ve wrote: »
    But not quicker (or easier for established Windows users) than in Windows 8 with classic Start Menus. Which is the very point that some seem by accident or design to avoid. Metro in all its incarnations is the problem for many users on a PC, not Windows 8.

I still find it hard to believe that Microsoft allowed all the fuss to develop - over the blooming front-end of an otherwise much improved operating system. By not (even now) providing PC users with the choice of which to use as the startup front-end (Metro being an option within Start Menu, alternatively Start Menu as an option within Metro) they must either be as thick as two short planks, or so arrogant that they don't care even if their company suffers because of it.

I agree they should have given an option for one or the other, but the Desktop portion of 8 is demonstrably superior, and it doesn't exactly take much effort for anyone with half a brain to learn it.

I think not. On the contrary, they have done a great deal of long-term harm to their company IMO, because they could (and should) have satisfied everyone without closing off any future options.

Not sure about this, to be honest. Their main income is from businesses, and I don't see many changing from Microsoft, it's so deeply entrenched and the alternatives (particularly to office) are just not as good, simple as.

The company I work for now and the company I will work for are both seriously looking at Windows 8.1.

If Microsoft does lose ground, I'm not sure it'll be because of Windows 8, more because of the rise of Google and Apple in the workplace, but the latter are not taken seriously anywhere outside of mobile devices in most businesses, and the former are generally at this point only adopted by small businesses, schools etc.

And FWIW, I still believe most people's complaints about Windows 8 are bollocks ;) They've given us a touch ready OS that's as good as any of its rivals, if not better, and can STILL run legacy apps and a classic desktop environment that is the best to date. I fail to see what it is they've ****ed up, other than upsetting a few people who would rather nothing ever changed! I bet if it were Apple, the comments would be very different - it's always been fashionable to slate Microsoft in everything they do; I remember well when XP came out, people slagging it off, and commenting on how much better OSX was (and IMO, they weren't wrong!), but it'll be the same people bleating today about how great XP was, and how crap Windows 8 is. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    unless you have a lot of software with many sub folders as i have - Windows 8 puts absolutely everything on the stupid start page in expanded form, which means you have to wade through loads of items to find what you want. Windows 7 start menu has all my software in a dozen or so folders, making stuff faster to find.

The start menu folder is still there in 8 - on one of my (test) Windows 8.1 machines I actually made a desktop shortcut to

Winkey > Type name of program > Click it or press enter.

Not hard, is it?

Nowt wrong with the start menu if you spend a few minutes organising it.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it, none of us know until Windows 8.1 is as old as Windows 7 is now as to whether it's been a success.
    "Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment. That's a disaster, and Threshold needs to strike a better balance between meeting the needs of over a billion traditional PC users while enticing users to adopt this new Windows on new types of personal computing devices. In short, it needs to be everything that Windows 8 is not."
    - Paul Thurrott, http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    "Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment. That's a disaster, and Threshold needs to strike a better balance between meeting the needs of over a billion traditional PC users while enticing users to adopt this new Windows on new types of personal computing devices. In short, it needs to be everything that Windows 8 is not."
    - Paul Thurrott, http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

Let's see how it fairs when tablets and touchscreen devices have taken over from traditional laptop and desktop machines in a few years though...

They will be comparing it with Windows 7, which most people accept was the first decent release since XP 8 years previously - people were ready for something better, something more polished that could take on OSX (unlike XP).

This OS comes in a transitional period, so I'm not surprised. Doesn't make it a bad OS though.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »

Why would you have an OS and not even learn the basics? You just made an easy job seem difficult, it's not;-)
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Can you? I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a link? I only ask because as far as I'm concerned, the 7 start menu never had the ability to search the internet out of the box - I remember trying to make it do as much some years ago, and gave up because the results were sub-par at best. Windows 8.1 is pretty good at searching the internet out of the box, albeit with bing (which I'm not keen on, admittedly).

You might be thinking it is more than it is. It was an option to dump your search from the start menu into your default search engine in your default browser. You could enable it via the registry or group policy editor. Whilst a world away from the more integrated search in W8, W7 federated search connectors for explorer were not.

My point was that you could search the Internet from the start menu.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be thinking it is more than it is. It was an option to dump your search from the start menu into your default search engine in your default browser. You could enable it via the registry or group policy editor. Whilst a world away from the more integrated search in W8, W7 federated search connectors for explorer were not.

My point was that you could search the Internet from the start menu.

Dave

I think I'd prefer that actually than being forced to use bing on Windows 8 :D
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The worst thing about W8 is that it seems to have turned some Windows users into the equivalent of a Mac evangelist - people who desperately need to defend a product and will not allow anything bad to be said about it, regardless of reason, fact or logic. Nice one, Microsoft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    The worst thing about W8 is that it seems to have turned some Windows users into the equivalent of a Mac evangelist - people who desperately need to defend a product and will not allow anything bad to be said about it, regardless of reason, fact or logic. Nice one, Microsoft.
    Not to be confused with those that just correct misconceptions....:)
    I guess the shout of Fanboy is a last resort in the otherwise sane and rational discussion.^_^
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

^This^ and one can't help wondering why! Especially when some of 'em continue to accuse people like me directly or indirectly of not liking the improved Windows 8, when in fact we like it and are only criticising its Metro front end.

To them, one more time: The Metro front-end is the problem for most W8 PC users. Not Windows 8 itself! Once they let us turn Metro and Apps off, or push it/them down into a Start Menu option, the problem is solved. Simples.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To them, one more time: The Metro front-end is the problem for most W8 PC users. Not Windows 8 itself! Once they let us turn Metro and Apps off, or push it/them down into a Start Menu option, the problem is solved. Simples.

And the irony is there are utilities available at low/no cost which can solve most Windows 8.x annoyances. Microsoft could have put those changes into Windows 8.1 so easily, but didn't.

Instead, people want to revert to Windows 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not exactly sure who that is aimed at, but if it's aimed at those defending Windows 8, then I have repeatedly said I am not blind to it's faults, or that its perfect, but have simply said that in many respects, its demonstrably better than the OS that came before it; I don't see how that makes us fanboys. To be honest, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, but I have many years experience in the industry, and like to think that, for the most part, I know what I'm talking about.

But hey, if people want to use a 5 year old OS that is slower, has less features, takes more system resources, and is not optimised for the future of computing device, then who am I to argue, I guess. I suppose those same folks would like to go back to Android Gingerbread, iOS6 or, **shudder**, Windows Mobile 6.5 on their mobiles? :D

FWIW, I have a lot of time for Windows 7, it's nice enough to use, but by god there are a lot of things I miss about Windows 8.1 when I have to use W7 at work. YMMV.
    Stig wrote: »
    And the irony is there are utilities available at low/no cost which can solve most Windows 8.x annoyances. Microsoft could have put those changes into Windows 8.1 so easily, but didn't.

Instead, people want to revert to Windows 7.

Since you mentioned that, what amuses me is that some people will actually go to the trouble (many hours of rebuilding and updating) of downgrading a machine to Windows 7, when you can install a free utility and have something that looks more or less the same, but is better in almost every way, and it takes a lot less time... and there ARE people who do this. It makes no sense when you think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Not to be confused with those that just correct misconceptions....:)
    I guess the shout of Fanboy is a last resort in the otherwise sane and rational discussion.^_^

Are you not concerned that you're turning into the 'Vallhund of Windows 8'? But at least the other guy has taken on the role of Jammers, so you shouldn't feel too bad.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what it is, but when ever I see a computer on a TV show that has the Metro screen, it always looks like a child's computer. Not one to take serious.

Microsoft keep trying to shoe horn their Win8 crap into TV shows, but they always look cheap and nasty.
    And that is why MS have totally alienated the business market with Windows 8, let alone home PC users.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Right-click the start button and you have access to all common administration tools. Open file explorer, and you have every option you need within 2 clicks. The start menu is capable of searching your whole machine as well as the internet - could 7 do this? No, it couldn't!..
    Its not new ,just included.
    We had these in XP if you used your own hotkeys, that being simply what they are, simple extensions, hardly new OS !

Its the unwanted tablety stuff that makes it a dire hybrid when on a traditional laptop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you not concerned that you're turning into the 'Vallhund of Windows 8'? But at least the other guy has taken on the role of Jammers, so you shouldn't feel too bad.

:D:D No. Heaven forbid!!:D....I don't really care what OS people wish to use. I don't comment in Apple threads because I don't have a Mac (I have an original iPad, but don't count that). I do have two windows 8.1 machines, so when someone says it's confusing or difficult, it's easy to say, no you are wrong. For most of the objectors it's just and aesthetic problem that is easily overcome.
    There is no such thing as the perfect OS. There are new ones out there on the rise. However, those objectors to 8.1 won't be able to use them because they are not the same as they are used to...;-)
    Looks like Windows 9 might be out as early as this October....I'll get that and see how it goes.
    In the meantime if someone else pays for a new iMac for me, I'll give that a go. It might be even better than 8.1.;-):)