Options

What is the best Football Match you have seen?

Comments

• Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    We were 4-0 down after the 1st leg!

:D

Yeah which is why I went free that night, worked at. DRG
    (Dickinson Robinson group ) in Hemel, and bloke I worked with didn't want to go
    So gave me his ticket, fair to say he didn't know where to laugh or cry ;-)
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    25th October 1995.

Plymouth Argyle vs Torquay. 4-3

one of my first games i went to..just an amazing game..back and forth for 90 minutes..
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palace 4-3 Liverpool -- 1990 FA Cup semi-final.

Italy 3-2 Brazil -- 1982 World Cup Second Round.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    For a game I've actually attended, Leeds United 4 Derby County 3 in 1997. And I even missed the first couple of goals cos I was late getting into the ground - Derby were 2-0 by the time I got there.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Talkman wrote: »
    A few matches stand out Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 last minute winner from Collymore
    And they say lightening doesn't strike twice it did one year later
    Liverpool beat Newcastle 4 . 3 again with another last minute winner from fowler :D

and the champions league final
    Liverpool 3 Milan 3 liverpool Come back from the dead 3 nil down
    And i remember the Dudek miracle save From shevchenko from one yard out
    and Liverpool won on penalties :)

Also remember Liverpool 3 man united 3 Liverpool come back from 3 nil down again in a night match
    If only more top games where played at night instead of those annoying early kick offs

Was that the game where Ruddock scored with a header?
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Going back a while (1976) wolves 1 liverpool 3 at Molineux. Nearly 49000 in attendance, best atmosphere i ever witnessed at a match. I think Liverpool won the league that night and wolves got relegated. Even as a wolves fan i was mesmerised by the liverpool team that night.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Was that the game where Ruddock scored with a header?

Nigel Clough got two for Liverpool and a great Irwin free kick for Man U I think.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle 4 Leicester 3 1997... Toon were 3-1 down with bout 15 mins left. .. Great game.
    Also the Liverpool Portsmouth semi final fa cup 1990
    Newcastle 3 Barcelona 2 champ league late 1990's
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three other dramatic games:

Crystal Palace 4 Liverpool 3 1990 FA Cup semi-final
    (Palace hasd been beaten by the champions Liverpool 9-0 earlier that season too).

A 1997 Division 1 (now Championship match) between Port Vale and QPR that was live on regional ITV.
    Port Vale were leading 4-0 at one stage. Had a goal to make it 5-0 wrongly chalked off (referee thought it hadn;t crossed the line). QPR scored three really late goals to make it 4-4.

Norwich City 4 Southampton 5 (1994 Premier League) featuring a Matt Le Tissier hat-trick and 90 minute winner for Southampton from Ken Monkou
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    For a nothing mid-table clash in 2003 Burnley 4 Watford 7 was very exciting!

4-5 at half time...
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the two that always stick in my mind are:-

Everton V Liverpool 4-4 FA Cup game

Liverpool v Arsenal 0-2 88/89 Final game of the season, league decider.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    My stock answer when this thread comes up is Liverpool 5-0 Forest, widely described by those in both the football and broadcasting industries as one of the finest displays of football in the history of the game.

I have that game on video. Forest were a good team around then too - probably 3rd or 4th best in the country consistently. Liverpool were awesome in the first half. And the Liverpool team that season were superb.
    I think it normally looked something like: Grobelaar, Nicol, Ablett, Gillespie, Hansen, McMahon, Whelan, Houghton, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge.
    John Barnes so often was unplayeable that season. My nan loved him.

Anotherr awesome one-off performance:
    AC MIlan 4 - Barcelona 0 European Cup final 1994

I had the Championahip Manager Italia game on my Amiga around that time. I always wanted to play as AC Milan.

Fine team. Normally went something like:
    Rossi, Panucci,Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Albertini, Desailly, Donadoni, Boban, Van Basten, Simone

I worshipped Paolo Maldini,
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    for me - Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan.

Did you intentionally change your mind in order to make the same thread again?
    enudzio wrote: »
    can be one your team has played or one that doesnt have your team in it?

mine has got to be either - Chelsea 3-4 Liverpool (Champions League 08/09 a few years back) or Bolton 4-2 Tottenham , both great games.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally seen. Oxford 5 Leeds 2, November 1984. Came from 0-2 down, and probably was the match that started the momentum which eventually got us into Division 1.

Best match I have seen on telly: Italy v Chile 1962. Pure comedy.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best match attended was when Wales beat Italy 2-1 in the Millennium Stadium in 2002

Back when the Millennium Stadium could sell out very easily and the atmosphere was absolutely red hot
  • Options
    U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup 1st round Bonfire night 2010 at Spotland

Rochdale 2 3 FC United

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hztmsq9uTg4

Never been in such a loud crowd. Amazing atmosphere

Last minute winner with a Goal that should have been chalked off for a foul on the keeper but it added to the drama

Through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup and a memorable trip to Brighton
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    That I actually watched live on TV would have to be Brazil vs. Turkey in the 2002 World cup. Very open and fast moving. Or maybe the Portugal v. Netherlands match at the 2006 World Cup, which wasn't particularly good football, but was worth watching for being insane.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a neutral probably the 2005 CL Final or Italy v Brazil in the 82 World Cup. As a fan beating Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in 89, I've never experienced tension like it before or during a match.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Best match I attended was a UEFA cup 2nd leg tie at Goodison - Everton v Fiorentina a few years back. Fiorentina won the first leg 2-0. The atmosphere for the return leg was electric. I've never known an atmosphere like it. We stood for the entire game and Everton absolutely battered Fiorentina. Everton won the match 2-0 and had countless chances to win it on aggregate. It was so intense, the ovation the players got when they went off at half time was unreal - it was more like a 'come onnnnnn' rather than applause and well done. It was literally fever pitch.

The game went in to extra time, which was exhausting for us, never mind the players - everyone was stood, singing, shouting, completely absorbed in the game. Unfortunately, Fiorentina won on penalties. Everton went out of the cup, but I was so impressed with the match and Evertons character, it felt like we won. My calves were aching and my throat was croaky for days after.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    I've seen quite a few over great matches the years but can't single out one match in particular.

2005 Liverpool v AC Milan, oddly enough Liverpool would would make another comeback in a memorable final from 2-0 down to draw 3-3 in the 2006 FA Cup Final.

Man City 3 QPR 2 to goals in injury time to win the title.

Charlton v West Ham think 2002 finished 4-4.

2001 FA Cup 5th round replay Tranmere v Southampton, which Tranmere won 4-3 after being 3-0 down at half time.

Final day 94-95 season Liverpool 2 Blackburn 1 Blackburn still won the title as man Utd could only draw 1-1 at West Ham.

1993 playoff final Swindon v Leicester 4-3, Swindon 3-0 up Leicester brought it back to 3-3 before Swindon got a late winner.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1993 playoff final Swindon v Leicester 4-3, Swindon 3-0 up Leicester brought it back to 3-3 before Swindon got a late winner.

There were quite a few classic playoff finals in the 90's, most notably Charlton v Sunderland in 1998 which ended up 4-4 with Charlton winning on penalties.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona annihilating Real Madrid 5-0. Pep Guardiola's Barcelona are for my mind the greatest club side ever if not the greatest football team ever.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona annihilating Real Madrid 5-0. Pep Guardiola's Barcelona are for my mind the greatest club side ever if not the greatest football team ever.
    If they were the greatest team ever they'd be winning the Champions League on a regular basis.
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Best is City v QPR to win the title...for obvious reasons.

Most memorable was the 2004 FA cup game v Spurs where 3-0 down at half-time and a man down we came back in the second half to win 4-3 inside the 90 minutes. Insane.

Dave
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Milan team of late 80s would have beat barcelona
    The Milan team had as good attacking threat as Barcelona
    but for me milans defence was much better