Options

Sara Cox Sounds Of The 80s Radio 2 (Thread )

Comments

• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch Sara - you almost crashed the lyrics...
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Sara Cox seems to be rambling a lot tonight. I wish she'd talk less and play more music.
    Agree. Especially when she tries to be funny and fails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. they need to change to another DJ at some point as we discussed upthread...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to this for 90 minutes via headphones. Can hear plenty of paper rustling as she reads her notes. Literally can hear the scripts themselves now! :blush:

Mentioning last weeks red button and Startrekkin' she sounded like she forgot the name of the very group who she played last week and with a rustling noise suddenly piped up...oh The Firm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air, likely to be as cackhanded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    On air, likely to be as cackhanded.

Yes there are 4 types, left, right, ambidextrous.....and cack! :p

Evening Alex. :) I'm dipping between this and LBC's rather dry and droll Nick Abbott tonight.

EDIT: Your prophesy didn't take long did it - 10.23pm.
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post R1 breakfast I have grown to really love Sara's shows but this still doesn't sound right for me.

Either drop the facts/scripts or change presenter who can deliver them. I would prefer the former
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey! How camp was that Eartha Kitt song?!?! With some lovely, dodgy 80s European sounding production :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Crikey! How camp was that Eartha Kitt song?!?! With some lovely, dodgy 80s European sounding production :D

That is such a brilliant record. I have it on my iPod in a 6 minute version. When it was a hit in late 1983 it was her first since 1955!

Grrrrroooowwwwwl! :cool:
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    That is such a brilliant record. I have it on my iPod in a 6 minute version. When it was a hit in late 1983 it was her first since 1955!

Grrrrroooowwwwwl! :cool:
    I love the song! I've not heard it for many years, so it was good to hear it again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I love the song! I've not heard it for many years, so it was good to hear it again!

The previous poster is kind of right about the campness I suppose. Recall her other hit 6 years later in summer 1989 with a Jimmy Somerville free Bronski Beat? Cha-Cha Heels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The previous poster is kind of right about the campness I suppose. Recall her other hit 6 years later in summer 1989 with a Jimmy Somerville free Bronski Beat? Cha-Cha Heels.
    5 years later Rich, not 6 years ;-). It reached the top 40 in January 1984.

'Where Is My Man' is as camp as Christmas, but it's an excellent song! It was in the charts at the same time as 'I Am What I Am' by Gloria Gaynor, another song that was big in the gay clubs.

Now playing: 'Life In Tokyo' by Japan. My one regret is that I had free tickets to see Japan in Newcastle in December 1981 and gave them away because my then girlfriend didn't like them. What an idiot I was! I've regretted ever since not going to see them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 years later Rich, not 6 years ;-). It reached the top 40 in January 1984.

'Where Is My Man' is as camp as Christmas, but it's an excellent song! It was in the charts at the same time as 'I Am What I Am' by Gloria Gaynor, another song that was big in the gay clubs.

Now playing: 'Life In Tokyo' by Japan. My one regret is that I had free tickets to see Japan in Newcastle in December 1981 and gave them away because my then girlfriend didn't like them. What an idiot I was! I've regretted ever since not going to see them...
    Oh for Christ's sake, you are so like me Robbie! :cool:

When I was writing that line I actually stopped to think whether I should put 5 or 6 years, depending on it charting in 1983 and the other hit being '89, or whether to pick the point it peaked in '84 instead. I chose the former. I would have written 5 and a half years if there was a proper "half" 1/2 graphic to use, dammit. ;-)

Both the Eartha & Gloria hits peaked in the same week, No's 36 and 13, at the end of January 1984, when Relax went up to No1 too!

I recently downloaded Ghosts by Japan. A track I disliked at the time, but appreciate now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for Christ's sake, you are so like me Robbie! :cool:

When I was writing that line I actually stopped to think whether I should put 5 or 6 years, depending on it charting in 1983 and the other hit being '89, or whether to pick the point it peaked in '84 instead. I chose the former. I would have written 5 and a half years if there was a proper "half" 1/2 graphic to use, dammit. ;-)

Both the Eartha & Gloria hits peaked in the same week, No's 36 and 13, at the end of January 1984, when Relax went up to No1 too!

I recently downloaded Ghosts by Japan. A track I disliked at the time, but appreciate now.
    :D

I think I may be a bit too picky when it comes to when songs peaked in the charts!

Playing now: The Sun Always Shines On TV - a-ha. Absolutely brilliant record!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

I think I may be a bit too picky when it comes to when songs peaked in the charts!

Playing now: The Sun Always Shines On TV - a-ha. Absolutely brilliant record!

Better e-mail Sara and tell her to stop reading the entry date as the peak date with all these tracks then! :D

That A-ha track gives me another chance to brag about how I predicted it would rise from No27 to No5 the week it did in January 1986 during school top five predictions. :cool:

Loving Morten's choice of Soft Cell's Say Hello Wave Goodbye. Definitely one of the best hits of the 80's I fully agree. An adorable song by a class artist. :)
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishing last nights show was available as a podcast :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishing last nights show was available as a podcast :cry:
    You might wish to rethink that wish considering she thinks we really tune into this programme to hear embarrassing tales about the size and length of her and her brothers bodily extremities, namely their feet. Cringe! :blush:
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the rumours that Sara is being lined up to present a daily show on radio 2 at some point in the future are true I think it is well deserved.Sara Cox has a unique personality and broadcasting style that clearly endears her to the average radio 2 listener. She is hilariously funny and witty .She will be an excellent successor to ken Bruce or Steve Wright one day

PS this OMD stuff is making me cry with nostalgia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some decent tunes on here tonight, and as a fan of George Benson with many of his tracks she has actually played a new one to me, No One Emotion, not heard it before.

Yarborough & Peoples, Don't Stop The Music is absolutely fantastic.

I have the 12" of Two Tribes that she played. Infact I bought two versions plus the 7" single at the time!
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the rumours that Sara is being lined up to present a daily show on radio 2 at some point in the future are true I think it is well deserved.Sara Cox has a unique personality and broadcasting style that clearly endears her to the average radio 2 listener. She is hilariously funny and witty .She will be an excellent successor to ken Bruce or Steve Wright one day

PS this OMD stuff is making me cry with nostalgia
    Witty and funny? Since when? Her rambles get on my nerves. I like the music but her patter is terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Witty and funny? Since when? Her rambles get on my nerves. I like the music but her patter is terrible.

At least you know the state of her feet now! Long toes, like her brother, nice to know wasn't it! :p
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    Fabulous show last night, loved the OMD interview, I saw the 2007 Architecture And Mortality Tour at Hammersmith Apollo (or whatever it's called today). Fantastic show, in fact I saw OMD at Wembley promoting their Sugar Tax album in 91 and both shows were jam packed full of hits, one of my all time favourite groups.

If Sara does get a daily show on Radio 2 I feel it'll be a replacement for Vanessa as I'm sure she'll get fed up with getting out of bed a 3am sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Fabulous show last night, loved the OMD interview, I saw the 2007 Architecture And Mortality Tour at Hammersmith Apollo (or whatever it's called today). Fantastic show, in fact I saw OMD at Wembley promoting their Sugar Tax album in 91 and both shows were jam packed full of hits, one of my all time favourite groups.

If Sara does get a daily show on Radio 2 I feel it'll be a replacement for Vanessa as I'm sure she'll get fed up with getting out of bed a 3am sooner rather than later.
    I recall being at a wedding in the early 90's when I was early 20's and one of our family friends sat next to me as we ate at the reception, he was in his early 50's and began absolutely raving about how good he thought Sugar Tax by OMD was! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the 12" of Two Tribes that she played. Infact I bought two versions plus the 7" single at the time!
    'Two Tribes' was released in a ridiculous number of formats and editions and it is no wonder it was number 1 for 9 weeks and sold well over a million copies when at one stage there seemed to be a new 12" version being released each week. I imagine a fair number of people bought the single on multiple formats. It was available on cassette, plain 7", picture disc 7" and a variety of mixes on a number of 12" singles.

ZTT, their label, really were the innovators of multi-format marketing. 'Relax' was available in at least 8 different versions (again a cassette version, 7", 12", remix 12" and picture disc 7" and 12") and for 'Two Tribes' I've counted at least 11. And that's before you take into account that sometimes the same edition of their singles (especially 'Relax') were issued in more than one picture sleeve. With 'The Power Of Love' ZTT seemed to calm down to a more sensible 7 versions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Two Tribes' was released in a ridiculous number of formats and editions and it is no wonder it was number 1 for 9 weeks and sold well over a million copies when at one stage there seemed to be a new 12" version being released each week. I imagine a fair number of people bought the single on multiple formats. It was available on cassette, plain 7", picture disc 7" and a variety of mixes on a number of 12" singles.

ZTT, their label, really were the innovators of multi-format marketing. 'Relax' was available in at least 8 different versions (again a cassette version, 7", 12", remix 12" and picture disc 7" and 12") and for 'Two Tribes' I've counted at least 11. And that's before you take into account that sometimes the same edition of their singles (especially 'Relax') were issued in more than one picture sleeve. With 'The Power Of Love' ZTT seemed to calm down to a more sensible 7 versions...

Not so long ago I paid for and downloaded one of the 12" versions I'd originally bought and the single all over again. I'm not normally such a sucker like that either!

Right then, I need to go off to that "Growing Fears Of World War 3" thread chat in the general discussion section, where I have already mentioned 1984 and Two Tribes in passing! :p