Why are house buyers paying fees to estate agents?

kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
Forum Member
There was a news report last night that seemed to suggest that in some parts of the country, not only is the seller paying the estate agent, but the buyer is paying something like 1% of the sale price plus VAT as some sort of "Introduction Fee" ?

Surely this isn't right? The agent's service is to sell the house, and act for the seller. How can he act for the buyer at the same time? :confused:

Seems like a legal scam to me. Anyone here had to pay as a buyer?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are stupid enough to pay them then why not?

No, I don't agree with them as there is a potential conflict of interest. Same with letting agents charging tenants admin fees, totally wrong and should be made illegal.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of that before, and I don't quite know how it would work legally.

The buyer would have to make a contract with the 'agent', who in this instance would be a principal. If a possible buyer refused, and the agent refused to provide details and arrange a viewing, then I'd have thought they were in breach of their duty to the seller.

However, I do suspect this could be a wind-up. ;-)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've never heard of that before, and I don't quite know how it would work legally.

The buyer would have to make a contract with the 'agent', who in this instance would be a principal. If a possible buyer refused, and the agent refused to provide details and arrange a viewing, then I'd have thought they were in breach of their duty to the seller.

No it isn.t, it was all over T.V. news and M.P.s are getting involved to try and stop it.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone really wants a property then a sealed bid and informal tendering is the way forward.

It's a rip off, most definitely, but people are willing to pay it.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...However, I do suspect this could be a wind-up. ;-)
    No it is actually happening. Some buyers are so desperate to buy a house in a particular area, they are willing to effectively pay to get first dibs when a property comes onto the market.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    If people are stupid enough to pay them then why not?

No, I don't agree with them as there is a potential conflict of interest. Same with letting agents charging tenants admin fees, totally wrong and should be made illegal.

Except that it probably allows these people to get preferential treatment from the estate agents
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Look it up for yourself <shrugs>
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are selling and buying at the moment. We have a deal with our estate agent of 1.25% plus VAT of course.

Many, if not the majority of the properties that we see in our area and price bracket are sale by tender. This means that the fees for the buyer are anywhere between 1-2% to the estate agent.

At first, we were refusing to consider any sale by tender properties, however that limits our opportunities so much that we will now look at them but only if they are significantly cheaper to offset the fees we would have to pay. It rankles but Im not sure what option we have when thats the way it is in the area we are looking.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Surely this opens up a whole load of potential conflicts of interest where the agent will be advising clients on both sides to accept potentially poor deals that would ensure they get both sets of fees? It's like having IFAs advise both investors and fund managers or solicitors working for both sides of a court case?
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were selling a property I'd stay clear of any agency operating this practice. Just who would they be working on behalf of?
  • abivanabivan Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your house is 'sold by tender' then the purchaser pays the introduction fee which is around 2% of the purchase price. The benefit to the seller is that they will only pay a fixed fee of around £150 + vat, instead of thousands in commission charges. If you do not want to pay an introductory fee then no one is forcing you to buy a house in this way and the traditional way still exists. However it is such a money saving way for the vendor to sell their houses and because the process involves potential purchasers to place sealed bids before a set cut-off date the selling price is normally at the top-end (or over) what the vendor wants.

Yes it is a new way of selling houses but it has been introduced to combat the fixed rate £500-1000 internet and independent agents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    If I were selling a property I'd stay clear of any agency operating this practice. Just who would they be working on behalf of?

Themselves.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Themselves.

But to benefit who?

They are really set up to help the sellers achieve the best price possible.

Yet if they charge buyers a fee, then they are saying they will get you the buyer a good deal if they pay them upfront -which means that they are adversely hindering the sellers from getting the best deal possible,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sellers get a better price than they normally would actually.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    But to benefit who?

They are really set up to help the sellers achieve the best price possible.

Yet if they charge buyers a fee, then they are saying they will get you the buyer a good deal if they pay them upfront -which means that they are adversely hindering the sellers from getting the best deal possible,
    Exactly. There's a massive conflict of interest there, certainly enough to make all parties suspicious of what the agents are telling them.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    No it isn.t, it was all over T.V. news and M.P.s are getting involved to try and stop it.

My apologies, I must have missed seeing any mention of it. I didn't realise it referred to a practice agreed between the agent and the seller.
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    No it is actually happening. Some buyers are so desperate to buy a house in a particular area, they are willing to effectively pay to get first dibs when a property comes onto the market.

It would be interesting to see the contract between the estate agent and the vendor. I thought there was a general duty on the agent to put forward any offer from a buyer "ready, willing and able" to go ahead. Possibly the contract waives this duty (if it still exists).
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Except that it probably allows these people to get preferential treatment from the estate agents

Which is completely irrelevant. It all comes down to contracts between two parties, conducted through an agent. They can agree to any terms they want, subject to rules about legality.

If I pay for speedy boarding on a plane, or for a higher broadband speed, or buy in advance tickets to a tourist attraction, I'm buying preferential treatment.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abivan wrote: »
    The sellers get a better price than they normally would actually.
    How did you reach that conclusion? How would attempt to decide if the price was higher/lower/the same as the traditional method?
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    just a load of greedy spivs preying on other greedy spivs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    How did you reach that conclusion? How would attempt to decide if the price was higher/lower/the same as the traditional method?

I reached this conclusion because I am actually seeing it happen in the real world. You arrange an open house and anyone who wants to make an offer puts in a sealed bid which is opened on an arranged date. People who want to make an offer tend to offer the most they possibly can in order to get the property.

For example we had a house with a guide price of £600,000 the vendors were prepared to take offers about £570,000. When the bids came in one of them was for £610,000. If this house was sold without the tender then the vendors would have probably taken the first offer they received over £570k and would have been liable to pay thousands of pounds in commission as well as it was they got a great price and paid £180 in commission.

With regards to all offers needing to be put forward that another poster mentioned, because this is a completely different type of contract that the vendors are signing it doesn't work this way. All offers must be submitted, in a sealed envelope, before a certain date.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abivan wrote: »
    For example we had a house with a guide price of £600,000 the vendors were prepared to take offers about £570,000. When the bids came in one of them was for £610,000. If this house was sold without the tender then the vendors would have probably taken the first offer they received over £570k and would have been liable to pay thousands of pounds in commission as well as it was they got a great price and paid £180 in commission.
    Thanks, but that is really generalising from an example rather that something more of a conceptual basis. In the traditional method, you could end up with 2 or more competing buyers pushing up the price.
    I note the buyer got a crap deal, so maybe buyers will bid less than a guide price for future properties?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Thanks, but that is really generalising from an example rather that something more of a conceptual basis. In the traditional method, you could end up with 2 or more competing buyers pushing up the price.

I appreciate what you are saying but in that case the vendor would pay more in commission, with this contract they only ever pay £180. So they end up quids in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the buyers didn't get a crap deal. They got a house they wanted at a price they were willing to pay. Nobody forced them.

Also if a house doesn't receive an offer that the vendor is willing to take they can choose to revert to a traditional way of marketing. We tend to offer this option on the really in-demand houses/areas where there is going to be a lot of competition. And obviously in a flat housing market it wouldn't be viable, but it really seems to be taking off in our area and a lot of agents are moving towards it.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    We sold our house privately and saved £10k. Why would you use an estate agent?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    We sold our house privately and saved £10k. Why would you use an estate agent?

Rightmove doesn't let home owners advertise their house for sale. You have to go through an estate agent.