Springwatch 2014

124»

Comments

• Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Summer doesn't start until 21st June surely? So we are still in spring and if they started the show earlier there wouldn't be much happening.

Only if you are specifically referring to the astronomical Summer.
    When most people talk about seasons they are referring to the meteorological seasons, which means Summer starting on the 1st June as explained (for instance) by the Met Office here .
    If Summer really started on the 21st June, that would mean Spring & Summer (and correspondingly, Autumn & Winter) would both have an equal total amount of daylight, and that the evenings would be getting shorter on every single day of Summer. And that it would still be "Autumn" on the 19th December!

As for not much happening if the show started, there's loads happening throughout the real Spring! We might see the blue tits hatching out of their eggs for example, instead of starting with them virtually fully-grown.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was some good footage of the Fox cubs tonight.

There were 9 cubs in the litter all in the small enclosed garden.

It was good to see them so young, I've only seen mine when they start to leave the den as it is underground here.
  • Options
    J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Must admit Michaela' s bird impersonations ("wah-humph") had me laughing out loud. Chris just watched on, I do wonder if he is silently judging her :D
  • Options
    Dave 101Dave 101 Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people criticise the presenters which imo is a mistake as they do a fantastic job. I like the offbeat and natural way they present and in a fun fashion.
    Well done to Michaela, Chris and Martin. You're all nice people.
  • Options
    J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    ^ Oh I agree most definitely
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    J-Star wrote: »
    Must admit Michaela' s bird impersonations ("wah-humph") had me laughing out loud. Chris just watched on, I do wonder if he is silently judging her :D

She is a laugh :D

I didn't realize that Chris was quite so bonkers :D I didn't notice any programme titles tonight tho :(
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    She is a laugh :D

I didn't realize that Chris was quite so bonkers :D I didn't notice any programme titles tonight tho :(
    You missed Steptoe and Son and Till Death us do part. Michaela also mentioned Wayne and Waynetta.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In twenty years' time, that people will be watching that Chris Packham "mating" clip with Michaela, aghast at the lax attitudes towards sexual harassment. ;-)
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    In twenty years' time, that people will be watching that Chris Packham "mating" clip with Michaela, aghast at the lax attitudes towards sexual harassment. ;-)

Let's hope we never end up that sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a Badger climb a tree,
    I've seen a Badger swim a lake,
    but I've never seen a Badger fly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    You missed Steptoe and Son and Till Death us do part. Michaela also mentioned Wayne and Waynetta.

I seem to miss all of them :( But heard Some Mothers Do have Em tonight :D
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I seem to miss all of them :( But heard Some Mothers Do have Em tonight :D

Not a title but were they trying a bit of parrot sketch at one point?
    Those bad photos were crap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tits, cocks and violence, it's like an episode of Game Of Thrones. But with better drama.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just caught up watching all of the Springwatch episodes so far and have to say I am really enjoying this series. I thought Winterwatch was a bit naff but this seems to be a return to form.

As gruesome as it is I thought it was good decision to see the that nature is not all nice and fluffy. Watching the baby rabbits and the black headed gulls being predated, maybe not nice but fascinating.

Dont normally enjoy Chris but his enthusiasm and knowledge is first class

Love all the name dropping of TV programmes as well, need to concentrate more as I think I miss half of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a short video of the badgers in my garden at 4am this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9mRUGj8D_0

Excuse the poor lighting and camera work.

Shame the seagulls are too high up for the to get too. :)
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me this has been an absolutely brilliant, fascinating series, shame its the last episode tomorrow, I would happily watch many more weeks of what we've seen so far. Every year I wonder what they're going to show and imagine that they going to have to essentially recycle what's been seen before. But, that's not really been the case as new, fascinating and unique footage of our wildlife's behaviour seems to emerge time after time.

Much as I thought Kate Humble was very good when she used to do this, I prefer Michaela. She's equally personable and I'm sure she's far more knowledgeable than she makes out most of the time, plus she serves a necessary purpose very well when asking Chris questions the viewers are no doubt wanting to do themselves. Chris Packham himself is admittedly very marmite. Personally I think he's brilliant. Yes, he can come across on screen as a bit blunt and with a somewhat dour personality, but, I think that's just him being himself! And for me, that's just fine as his knowledge and the way he explains things is exemplary, totally second to none. I'm not that fond of Martin though. Yes, he's obviously very knowledgeable also in his chosen fields, but I find his presenting style I bit 'kids TV'.

TV title wise tonight, I heard 'Good Sweetheart', Top Of The Pops', 'Only Fools & Horses' and 'Bittens (Britains) Got Talent'.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    Only if you are specifically referring to the astronomical Summer.
    When most people talk about seasons they are referring to the meteorological seasons, which means Summer starting on the 1st June as explained (for instance) by the Met Office here .
    If Summer really started on the 21st June, that would mean Spring & Summer (and correspondingly, Autumn & Winter) would both have an equal total amount of daylight, and that the evenings would be getting shorter on every single day of Summer. And that it would still be "Autumn" on the 19th December!

As for not much happening if the show started, there's loads happening throughout the real Spring! We might see the blue tits hatching out of their eggs for examplwhye, instead of starting with them virtually fully-grown.
    why dont they prerecord a bit more then
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Packham is brilliant, his knowledge is astounding

Love Springwatch and Autumnwatch.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved how Chris managed to get Only Fools and Horses in there. It was a bit of a stretch.

Only fools would mess with these animals. Only Fools! and horses of course are very......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How fast has that 3 weeks gone by :o:(

I am going to miss this as it has been great seeing all the wildlife good and bad :(

I didn't realize Chris had such a great sense of humour as this the the first series I have really watched.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin needs to get back at the helm of unsprung when Autumnwatch starts.
    I can't take to Nick Baker, he doesn't fit in.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who is watching tonight?
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really have enjoyed this series. Chris, Michaela and Martin are excellent presenters who reel you in with their knowledge and wit. I love watching this with my dog, who makes me laugh when she hears a bird on the TV and rushes to the back door to see whats out there. Sad it's the last episode today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to record the show and fast forward past the presenters and animals I am not keen on.

Last night I only really watched the Fox cubs on the heath and the adders.
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent series, presenters are perfect! This is the type of stuff our licence fee is for!!