James May's Cars of the People

Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
Forum Member
I saw a trailer for this new three-part series yesterday & it looks good.

I've already set my PVR to record the first episode next sunday at nine.

"James discovers how dictators helped kickstart the mobilisation of the masses."

So the Beetle will definitely be in there somewhere but what else?

Comments

• Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Bbc2.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I saw a trailer for this new three-part series yesterday & it looks good.

I've already set my PVR to record the first episode next sunday at nine.

"James discovers how dictators helped kickstart the mobilisation of the masses."

So the Beetle will definitely be in there somewhere but what else?

Well TG did a great piece in commie cars a few years back.

Looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I remember it well.

Marina!!!

And that horrible Russian limo.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ford Cortina? Audi Quattro? Austin Princess? Ford Granada?

I have a fondness for the Humber Hawk ( early 1960s) which was the first car my Dad had when I was a kid!

I don't know that much about cars so if these are rubbish suggestions, let me down gently! :D
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should be interesting. Hopefully, Top Gear without the BS.
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »

I have a fondness for the Humber Hawk ( early 1960s) which was the first car my Dad had when I was a kid!

I don't know that much about cars so if these are rubbish suggestions, let me down gently! :D

Aah, The Austin Princess. Wedge shaped favourite of older folk who liked towing caravans.

I remember them well. Later version became the BL Ambassador.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did a 100 in a Princess once! I was 11 and in the back. Must have been that slippery shape and a tailwind! :D
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    About time we had another James May series, he's been missing in action for a while.

Wonder if Manlab will come back.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I remember it well.

Marina!!!

And that horrible Russian limo.

Yes what was it again? A Zil or something with a gearbox that sounded like a nuclear bomb going off every time it changed gear.
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »

The MK 3 Cortina was a hoot go over a bump and it was still bouncing up and down a mile later. Great car!
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Did a 100 in a Princess once! I was 11 and in the back. Must have been that slippery shape and a tailwind! :D

And no caravan!
    Forum Member
    Yes what was it again? A Zil or something with a gearbox that sounded like a nuclear bomb going off every time it changed gear.

Something like that.

And what were those deep buttons for?

I think one of them collapsed inward when pushed.
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted the TG boys to do a road trip where they buy each other their car and make it the most hopeless hateful thing going :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted the TG boys to do a road trip where they buy each other their car and make it the most hopeless hateful thing going :)
    I realise i'm stating the obvious but it would be heavily staged. Not that it still wouldn't be entertaining.

But sometimes it's nice to have a proper documentary - or one of the more subdued items on TG.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »

The 2200 variant was tested at over the ton, so it sounds feasible. At least until the half-shafts let go.

My dad had one and very roomy and comfortable inside it was too, and yes he pulled a caravan with it - the old BMC B-series made for a good towcar and the high rear end and hydragas suspension meant you didn't get the tail-dragging effect that Cavaliers and Cortinas suffered from. It should have had a five-speed box and a rear hatch but BL were stupidly still making the Maxi and didn't want to take sales from it.

My first car was a third-hand (at least) Princess. It was an absolute shed and I sold it for scrap within a year!
    Forum Member
    The 2200 variant was tested at over the ton, so it sounds feasible. At least until the half-shafts let go.

My dad had one and very roomy and comfortable inside it was too, and yes he pulled a caravan with it - the old BMC B-series made for a good towcar and the high rear end and hydragas suspension meant you didn't get the tail-dragging effect that Cavaliers and Cortinas suffered from. It should have had a five-speed box and a rear hatch but BL were stupidly still making the Maxi and didn't want to take sales from it.

My first car was a third-hand (at least) Princess. It was an absolute shed and I sold it for scrap within a year!

Have you read British Leyland: Chronicle of a Car Crash ( 1968 - 1978 ) ?

It covers all of that & much more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    About time we had another James May series, he's been missing in action for a while.

Wonder if Manlab will come back.

We can only hope and pray that it never returns other than that yes, its about time we had a proper show from Mr May
    Forum Member
    I was wondering if people had a favourite car from the various TG challenges over the years? Mine has to be the Rover 3500 Jeremy drove in the BL challenge. I never owned one and they had a bit of a reputation but I always thought it was a beautiful looking car and nearly had one a couple of times. Also a favourite was the Capri, JM had one on the France trip that blew up if I remember, the MK 3 Capri was Lovely car and one of the best Ford made and I loved the one I had.
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the Top Gear BL special on Dave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah, The Austin Princess. Wedge shaped favourite of older folk who liked towing caravans.

I remember them well. Later version became the BL Ambassador.

Oh wow, I remember being in the back of my great uncle's (is there such thing as a great uncle?) mustard yellow Austin Princess, sitting in the backseat middle felt huge with space, and of course the smell of cough sweets.

I remember watching sometime ago (I think it might of been Top Gear or something like that) there was a company that specialized in buying brand new Leland cars or they would get owners with brand new Leland cars to bring them in, they'd take the car completely apart and put it back together again because they put it together better than the Leland factory, no misaligned doors and stuff like that. A whole business dedicated to fixing brand new items of another business.

Not forgetting the Ambassador Y Reg of course. :blush::D
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just finished watching the Top Gear BL special on Dave.

That is a good one, Clarkson on the steep incline :)
    Forum Member
    Aye, and they got a good tune out of the three cars :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they let May do something non-Top geary, with this, saw a clip of a car been dropped from a plane in the trailers, can well do without any of that bollox frankly.
    If it's anything like the Top Gear piece others have mentioned then they can keep it.
    Can't even be ar$ed to watch the repeats of Top Gear, these days, it's that grating.
  • Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Dad had a Princess, we called it the Layby Cruiser :D
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James could present a programme about paint drying and I would still find it fascinating. Love all his programmes, especially Manlab.