Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Shared plans - ie, having second SIM for my iPad that has access to my data allowance. Given its the same human being, they're unlikely to be used at the same time :) (Tethering already permitted on 4GEE plans upto allowance, then you can buy more).

Cool. Just wanted to clarify. Thought you meant tethering at first.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uno wrote: »
    I went to a business conference and lunch on Wednesday I happened to be sat next to a guy called Neil or Nigel can't remember exactly.

He is the head of technology for Sky news he was telling how much they rely on and use EE now for outside broadcast

Let's hope nothing happens in Leamington Spa this weekend then, I'm there now, and despite full 3G signal level, no data connection seems possible
  • Options
    Roger_GreenwoodRoger_Greenwood Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    My wife and I are on ee with iPhone 5s each,our town in North Yorkshire is probably last on everyone's list for upgrading enything,(freeview lite enyone?),however yesterday we had a card posted to say 4g coming soon and how to get a filter if our freeview reception is affected,just hope it's ee 4g on the way.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    My wife and I are on ee with iPhone 5s each,our town in North Yorkshire is probably last on everyone's list for upgrading enything,(freeview lite enyone?),however yesterday we had a card posted to say 4g coming soon and how to get a filter if our freeview reception is affected,just hope it's ee 4g on the way.

Sounds like Vodafone & O2 as they are using 800MHz, which is close to the frequency of digital TV. EE do have some 800 though so possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steffangl wrote: »
    Sounds like Vodafone & O2 as they are using 800MHz, which is close to the frequency of digital TV. EE do have some 800 though so possible.

There's a whopping great 10 MHz wedge of LTE OFDM that's sprung up here in Basingstoke recently on the old Ch 63 in the TV band, 805 to 815 (ish) MHz.
    Presumably, 02 or Vodafone (we've had EE 4G here for at least a year, on 1800 MHz)
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    There's a whopping great 10 MHz wedge of LTE OFDM that's sprung up here in Basingstoke recently on the old Ch 63 in the TV band, 805 to 815 (ish) MHz.
    Presumably, 02 or Vodafone (we've had EE 4G here for at least a year, on 1800 MHz)
    791 to 796 = Three
    796 to 801 = EE
    801 to 811 = Vodafone
    811 to 821 = 02
    (821 to 832 = PMSE)
    832 to 837 = Three
    837 to 842 = EE
    842 to 852 = Vodafone
    852 to 862 = 02
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    791 to 796 = Three
    796 to 801 = EE
    801 to 811 = Vodafone
    811 to 821 = 02
    (821 to 832 = PMSE)
    832 to 837 = Three
    837 to 842 = EE
    842 to 852 = Vodafone
    852 to 862 = 02

Probably 801 to 811 so Vodafone's then. The spectrum analyser I was using was a friend's, and his 02 phone showed no 4G signal available. Interesting, because there's no Vodafone 2 or 3G here in my house, when I was with VF, I had to use a Sure Signal box.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Probably 801 to 811 so Vodafone's then. The spectrum analyser I was using was a friend's, and his 02 phone showed no 4G signal available. Interesting, because there's no Vodafone 2 or 3G here in my house, when I was with VF, I had to use a Sure Signal box.

Likewise here in Farnborough my MiFi unit is showing Vodafone 4G where there is only 1 bar of voda 2g today. A colleague at work with a new enough phone on voda says he occasionally gets 4G.

It seems voda have "done" Hampshire with 4G where O2 has done Sussex Coast.
    EE been here over a year, and now adding extra masts to improve indoor 4G which is good.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    I went to a business conference and lunch on Wednesday I happened to be sat next to a guy called Neil or Nigel can't remember exactly.

He is the head of technology for Sky news he was telling how much they rely on and use EE now for outside broadcast. He told me that they have 24 units for news inserts they bond together units if need be and use around 3Gb an hour. These units are so much quicker to deploy to news stories and a lot cheaper than traditional satellite uplink units.

He thinks outside broadcasts by 4G is the future and all recent Max Clifford,Rolf Harris and Tulisa Sky news output was over EE 4G he also thinks that once Apple improve their cameras then they may be able to be used as well.

It was a very interesting chat and good to see a new excellent use of EE 4G network all on usual consumer units with no special QOS or traffic priority

It works very well.. It rarely fails. ;-)

News corps (and Govt agencies) are already testing video capable dSLR's to uplink via 4G as a one man high quality broadcast unit. We already do this with raw images.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Likewise here in Farnborough my MiFi unit is showing Vodafone 4G where there is only 1 bar of voda 2g today. A colleague at work with a new enough phone on voda says he occasionally gets 4G.

It seems voda have "done" Hampshire with 4G where O2 has done Sussex Coast.
    EE been here over a year, and now adding extra masts to improve indoor 4G which is good.

Interestingly Alton is still only 3G for EE, but now 4G on Vodafone, (same mast, at the big electricity sub station in Mill Lane)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have began to notice a problem with EE and wonder if this is normal, I was at a wedding at the weekend, outside the venue 3-4bars 4G as soon as I went inside after a few mins no signal while other on O2/Vodafone had the same signal inside as outside, I also notice this at work, full signal outside but when I go inside I have 1-2 bars,
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have began to notice a problem with EE and wonder if this is normal, I was at a wedding at the weekend, outside the venue 3-4bars 4G as soon as I went inside after a few mins no signal while other on O2/Vodafone had the same signal inside as outside, I also notice this at work, full signal outside but when I go inside I have 1-2 bars,
    EE's initial 4g rollout has been at 1800MHz using spare 2G capacity, o2 and Vodafone had to wait until 800MHz became available at digital switchover.
    What this means is that EE are currently operating 4G at frequencies which don't get though walls very well. EE do have 800MHz capacity now so that shouldn't be a long term problem
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Slightly off current topic but:

Does anyone know if you can upgrade with EE (4G) and keep the exact same tariff?

I know I'm going to be tempted by the new iPhone (if/when it comes out) but I am only 12 months into my 4GEE contract. I am happy to sell my 5s and buy the 6 outright from Apple.

But...I am on a good tariff as I get Roaming in EU+Turkey+USA+China and a few other countries, as well as Deezer FOC, and a 20% discount.

If in a year's time I can upgrade to, say, the 6S (or indeed any other handset), and keep the EXACT same tariff I'm on, then I'd be more tempted to wait and do that. If I'm going to have to loose those benefits anyway then I'd be more inclined to get the new iPhone now, and switch to SIM only in a year. The discount they'd no doubt take off me, but it's the roaming and Deezer I want to keep.

I know with O2 you have to take a new tariff with a new phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    EE's initial 4g rollout has been at 1800MHz using spare 2G capacity, o2 and Vodafone had to wait until 800MHz became available at digital switchover.
    What this means is that EE are currently operating 4G at frequencies which don't get though walls very well. EE do have 800MHz capacity now so that shouldn't be a long term problem

But have better mast spacing in general outside cities. Besides 1800 is better through windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Northern Irish folk.. How are you finding 3G/4G coverage in rural areas nowadays?
  • Options
    bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Northern Irish folk.. How are you finding 3G/4G coverage in rural areas nowadays?

4g, Is very fast and reliable (except for the odd occasion when my device finds itself with an ip from the old orange range), mostly towns that have it. It's nearly all double speed now too.

3G, haven't noticed any change to the rural coverage or performance in about a year. Still a few rural areas (eg glenarm, carnlough, glenarriff) never upgraded from 2g.
    Indoor rural 3G coverage is a big problem, perhaps the network optimisation programme was a bit too severe in killing off tmobile and 3 sites in rural areas. The sites at present might be optimally spaced for an 1800mhz network but it's too thin for 2100mhz and this is not just noticeable with indoor coverage but there is gaps in 3G outdoor coverage.
    The opposite has been the case in the greater belfast area and a number of the larger towns where a number of tmobile and 3 sites were kept and upgraded, this improved indoor coverage for 3G.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I can give you a report from South Devon Folk....
    F*** all 4G down the A38
    F*** all 4G in Totnes
    F*** all 4G in all the areas they said it would be available "in six months" about 10 months ago..

I think they turned Plymouth on a nearly year ago??
    Arses!!!
    You may have gathered, I'm not at all happy.
  • Options
    davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding 4G very slow lately. Just did a speed test and got 13Mbps down and just over that up. Yes, plenty to do what I need but I'm just stating how it has slowed down dramatically at times. In City Centre it's fine although I have been the victim of the odd 3Mbps download at times.

I was hoping yesterday's outage was deliberate in order to bring about network improvements but it would seem not.

Again, plenty for what I need, but I'm buggered if I've ever seen the speed people on here quote for 3G speeds...
  • Options
    exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    "I can give you a report from South Devon Folk....
    F*** all 4G down the A38
    F*** all 4G in Totnes
    F*** all 4G in all the areas they said it would be available "in six months" about 10 months ago.."

It's the same in North Somerset - despite the three year programme to refresh 2G that was announced in May 2011 the 2G masts are still in place complete with the same overgrown cabinets, the 3g coverage is still rubbish and there's no sign of 4G despite it being slated for "next 6 months" 9 months ago.

What makes it even more galling is that the world's fastest fibre optic connection is currently being pulled through right past EE's masts by Hibernia Networks, so it's not as if there's a lack of WAN connectivity in the area.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I can give you a report from South Devon Folk....
    F*** all 4G down the A38
    F*** all 4G in Totnes
    F*** all 4G in all the areas they said it would be available "in six months" about 10 months ago..

I think they turned Plymouth on a nearly year ago??
    Arses!!!
    You may have gathered, I'm not at all happy.

Yeah stuff the fact there's no 4G in Scotland outside the Central Belt, Dundee and Aberdeen (which only has about 3 transmitters).

There's also none in Cornwall and hardly any in Wales.

South Devon is WAY more important.
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Here's a case study from the deputy at Sky News describing the development of this in a bit of detail. Interestingly they had trouble buying enough data from EE - could only get 20GB even though the website said different so they had to fire off an email to Olaf and were able to get 0.5TB. Seems they are using all the networks now.

http://www.slideshare.net/zahidtg/sky-news-case-study-lte-changing-the-face-of-newsgathering

Cracking article. That experience may have been a stimulus for EE to offer 'Super Bundles' at 50TB, 100TB, 200TB, 500TB and 1PB. The latter package - 1PB a.k.a. 1,000,000 GB - is charged at £8 per GB, so it totals a cool £8m:

http://explore.ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/ee-unveils-world-s-first-petabyte-mobile-data-bundle-for-business
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Interestingly Alton is still only 3G for EE, but now 4G on Vodafone, (same mast, at the big electricity sub station in Mill Lane)

Weird how after Alton there is no 3G on Vodafone/O2 but 3G on EE/Three. When you get to Winchester they all have 3G but it's not great: I expected better in a city.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    Yeah stuff the fact there's no 4G in Scotland outside the Central Belt, Dundee and Aberdeen (which only has about 3 transmitters).

There's also none in Cornwall and hardly any in Wales.

South Devon is WAY more important.

Well of course it is. Glad you agree.
    I mean, I'm here for a start and I've been on EE (Orange 16 years) constantly for the last 18 years.
    I AM the IT guy for the South Hams and I have no decent connection.
    What kind of world are we living in??
    : )
  • Options
    bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Anyone any idea when Corby will get 4g I'm on a 4g contract as previously lived in 4g area but since have moved and now paying for 4g but can only get 3g/h+
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benster- There is 4G anywhere around Corby still waiting like Kettering,Wellingborough and Market Harborough for the upgrades I had been told by two different people that these areas would get it around June/July this year but still not happened its very disappointing considering all are fast growing areas with more commuters to London moving in each week.

I expect they may be done later in 2015 as part of the 800mhz rollout as no sign of upgrade work taking place yet in any of mentioned places. The nearest places to Corby for EE 4G is Peterborough,Northampton or Leicester.
This discussion has been closed.