Options

Do Australians have a better quality of life than us poms?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched Poms in Paradise last night and all the Brits interviewed said that the quality of life down under was so better than back home.

They had more money to spend, better weather, secluded beaches, etc.

I have never been to Australia so could someone please educate me using their own experiences.

Comments

• Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Pom? Who you calling a pom?

But... yes. Yes they do. :(
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you can put up with the absolutely massive property prices unless you're prepared to live at least an hour away from the cities, the exorbitant cost of almost everything, the terrible TV and the institutional racism then it's a fab place to live.

I worked there for 10 weeks last year. Nice place to visit.........
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you can put up with the absolutely massive property prices unless you're prepared to live at least an hour away from the cities, the exorbitant cost of almost everything, the terrible TV and the institutional racism then it's a fab place to live.

Wisdom.

Helluva lot of Aussies over here you know.

I knew a number 20 years ago who had come on a 2 year visa and either by marriage or (more likely) just 'slipping through the cracks' had stayed much longer and settled here.

I have a couple of friends who went to live and work over there with the intention of staying permanently.

They are back here now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The grass isn't always greener. The weather is great but after a while it becomes "just another sunny day" and less important. My parents came back as they missed the seasons - mum got homesick for the English countryside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got the idea in my head that it was quite cheap to live there. I don't know where that idea came from. I didn't realize it was so expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    The grass isn't always greener. The weather is great but after a while it becomes "just another sunny day" and less important. My parents came back as they missed the seasons - mum got homesick for the English countryside.

It´s those constant sunny days that make life easier in my opinion. Where ever you move in the world there are always going to be different problems, but the sun shining makes my life that bit better. :)
  • Options
    cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather live in a country with dodgy weather than one with giant spiders and poisonous snakes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    I'd rather live in a country with dodgy weather than one with giant spiders and poisonous snakes :D

Spiders you say?

Seems a pertinent time to post this:

http://operatorchan.org/t/arch/src/t197060_clockspider.jpg
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It´s those constant sunny days that make life easier in my opinion. Where ever you move in the world there are always going to be different problems, but the sun shining makes my life that bit better. :)
    Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cupotea wrote: »

We have poisonous snakes. Nearly stood on one once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spiders you say?

What the...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more!

You'd think that, but the reality is it becomes less of a big deal when you have it all the time. In fact, it can become a nuisance when its 40 degrees!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have poisonous snakes. Nearly stood on one once.

They also have the most dangerous tree in the world in Australia. On the show last night the man said someone who got stung by the tree once committed suicide because the pain was too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the...?

To be fair, I have no idea if that photo was taken in the US or in Australia. Its one or the other.

But it gives you an idea of the creepy crawlies you can get in your house in warmer countries. :eek:
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I got the idea in my head that it was quite cheap to live there. I don't know where that idea came from. I didn't realize it was so expensive.

Had a very quick look and a studio apartment about 5 miles from the centre of Canberra will set you back about £130k at today's prices. A couple of years back it would have been about £80k but the Aussie dollar just makes it too expensive in relation to the UK at the moment.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea...only that it's the country produced Dame Edna Everage and Rupert Murdoch
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Australia - a nasty poisionous little island with a more than average amount of nasties/creepy-crawlies - both on land and in the sea, that can kill you in the blink of an eye.

No thanks!! :eek:

(sorry Pam L!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think that, but the reality is it becomes less of a big deal when you have it all the time. In fact, it can become a nuisance when its 40 degrees!

I say it from 6 years living in Southern Spain, I can´t get enough of the sun. It´s the little mundane things like supermarket shopping, when you come out the sun is shining and you´re not battling with the rain, then you look across and see the blue sea shimmering away. You´ve had a bad day and you can sit in the sun for an hour to help drain all your woes away. Give me sunshine everyday please :D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    They should be the poms, its their ancestors that got deported, not ours ;)

OK, the weather is warmer, but what about those creepy crawlies they have? *shudder*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia - a nasty poisionous little island with a more than average amount of nasties/creepy-crawlies - both on land and in the sea, that can kill you in the blink of an eye.

No thanks!! :eek:

(sorry Pam L!)

I must disagree.

It's not little, it's bloody enormous. :)
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiders you say?

I'm not even going to click on that link..and I'm Australian!! I frigging hate spiders.

Google bird eating spider, we used to live in Papua New Guinea and those were everywhere. :eek:
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so - moving there in a few months!
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I hope so - moving there in a few months!

Ooooh, really? Good luck, although I know you won't need it. :)
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders you say?

WHAT :eek:

Is that on your wall? In your house

Oh my lord, I would die
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I'm not even going to click on that link..and I'm Australian!! I frigging hate spiders.

Google bird eating spider, we used to live in Papua New Guinea and those were everywhere. :eek:

Haha, I have googled them a lot as my son is fascinated by the darn things - particularly the "Goliath Bird Eating Spider". :eek:

I don't think I could cope with one of those in my bath - I doubt it would wash down the plughole! :p