Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, its not been too bad so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Difficult situation I think Ian's love for him mum and possibly a feeling off debt for his uncle for 'rescuing' his mum and him is holding him hostage.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting concept.
  • AltheyaAltheya Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not one of the audience, such a tough situation.

I was a little confused that his mum said she had her family and didn't need anyone else. Did she re-marry?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the mum using her own son's life to pay back her own debt of gratitude.

Her inability to respond to the question "When will the debt be paid?" was very telling.

She should pay the debt back herself, by offering her own brothers a home when the farm is sold, to repay the time when they took her into their own home. The proceeds of the sale will cover future costs. As the uncles are in their 70's, if she does that for 9 years, I reckon the problem will be resolved in the course of time. It's all a bit biblical for me.
  • LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Very interesting new concept. Its certainly drawn me in...use of old footage is very good, gives depth to the story and emotion.
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really need 50 people for goodness sake! Not exactly taken the forum by storm though with just 6 replies..!
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who finds.it completely bizarre and COMPLETELY channel 4. Cringed a lot during it. Just bizarre lol
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i thought it was bizarre and generally pretty awful as well!
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I don't like the mum using her own son's life to pay back her own debt of gratitude.

Her inability to respond to the question "When will the debt be paid?" was very telling.

She should pay the debt back herself, by offering her own brothers a home when the farm is sold, to repay the time when they took her into their own home. The proceeds of the sale will cover future costs. As the uncles are in their 70's, if she does that for 9 years, I reckon the problem will be resolved in the course of time. It's all a bit biblical for me.

I thought the same. I found the meeting with the mum really difficult to watch.

The right decision was made in the end (in my opinion, of course).
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why didn’t his girlfriend help him on the farm at the weekends, they could be together then and keep the brothers happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Quite a good show. For an audience of 50 though there really didn't seem to be all that much variety to be honest, that's the impression I got anyway.

I found the mother a bit unsympathetic too. Makes me wonder too about the other grandkids. I mean with 11 children and their grandkids it's amazing that he alone got burdened with it all. But then I guess he did live there whereas perhaps the others didn't.

I think he made the right decision though. His life was on hold there and it seemed like he was trapped there due to the guilt everyone else was putting onto him. He lived there until he was 9, yes, but he didn't owe them anything really.
  • LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I must be the only one who finds.it completely bizarre and COMPLETELY channel 4. Cringed a lot during it. Just bizarre lol

Yes but that is why I liked it.I kept saying...goodness this is weird, but in this day and age where programmes are such derivatives of others, I thought this was original, fresh and very watchable. They did push the emotion side of it a bit with the 50 people, but generally it had a nice tone and was very well filmed. The 50 people walking along following the guy did make me laugh...being crammed into houses/ dairy houses etc. but that made it quirky.

I enjoyed it
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stuck with it all the way through. It's an interesting idea - I wondered why no one asked him what he would do when he left the farm.

But he did seem to be being emotionally held hostage there, working all those hours alone every day. The mother was an unsympathetic character - making him responsible for the uncles happiness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dwiseman wrote: »
    No i thought it was bizarre and generally pretty awful as well!

Sanity prevails!! I was looking forward to coming in here and reading the scathing reviews, but the general positivity about it kinda killed my buzz lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stuck with it all the way through. It's an interesting idea - I wondered why no one asked him what he would do when he left the farm.

But he did seem to be being emotionally held hostage there, working all those hours alone every day. The mother was an unsympathetic character - making him responsible for the uncles happiness.

I thought one of the uncle's asked him at the end, but he just gave an "im not sure" type of response.

ETA: Doh! Just realised you probably meant one of 'the audience'.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I kept wondering that. It's all very well saying walk away and spend more time with your girlfriend, but what about a job?

His mother, well! Why on earth should he be made responsible for what happened?
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Someone I know was one of the 50, and I missed it. Watching the last half hour on +1 now though.

Just spotted her. She was the one who mentioned something like a family being about people not land.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I liked that, odd concept, but very watchable, I'll be back next week.
    Odd lack of posts, then again seems to be no rhyme or reason to the stuff people want to talk about on here.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bizarre concept and I am not sure i really enjoyed it or not, but I was glued to the screen for an hour. LOL

I think this can go on for a few more seasons before Channel 4 kill it ala Wife Swap, Undercover Boss etcf
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it last night and thought it would be quite pants - but i found it very watchable.
  • GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I could say about this is, whats the point?
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    All I could say about this is, whats the point?

Absolutely. I want a programme where 50 people follow a politician or civil servant around for a couple of weeks!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,334
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch it, I saw the ad for it and it looked like the most ridiculous thing ever thought up! Those 50 twits trailing around with one person all the time... I suppose I could watch it as a comedy!??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jut watching the start of the Sky+ recording. I loved the idea of the programme and so want to report after I have watched it that it was as good as I hoped. So tepted to FF to find out the decision.