The Route Masters - BBC2 - 2100 - starts 18/06/13

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

After the series on the Tube, and the one on the rail network..

The Route Masters: Running London's Roads
Season 1 Episode 1 of 6
New series. Documentary telling the stories of the people who keep London's transport network operating - from night-bus drivers and road maintenance staff to the controllers overseeing it all. The first episode reveals a city constantly on the verge of gridlock - and it falls to Transport for London staff to try to keep the system working. Tow-truck driver Sean has to deal with a pregnant motorist who can't face driving through the Blackwall tunnel, while central control room operator Chris must cope with multiple accidents blocking the roads on a Friday night

Who's watching?

Comments

• Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm recording it. Wonder how many unpleasant commuters they'll show - they don't need any excuse to kick off at the bus driver.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be watching to see if the bus stops where it's supposed to.:D
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming up... next on air...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air.
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I lived in London for 5 years and already after watching this for 5 minutes I realise why I left :(
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    God bless BBC2 and its unending obsession with public transport and transport infrastructure. Love it.
    Forum Member
    noelfirl wrote: »
    God bless BBC2 and its unending obsession with public transport and transport infrastructure. Love it.
    Me too :D

I loved The Tube in particular
  • FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Watching this as I'm learning to drive. I'm interested in all of this although I am missing porcelain on BBC4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they don't test new traffic phase software in production - remember Twenty Twelve?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Not living in London I have only once ever driven through London when it was pleasant. The other times I have been either screaming abuse or frightened for my life. It really make me a nervous wreck. I now take the train when I visit. I can't imagine living there and owning a car - NO THANKS!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love these shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwall tunn height restriction - "to the numpty who's ignored all the signs, you're on BBC2 you ****"
    Forum Member
    Not living in London I have only once ever driven through London when it was pleasant. The other times I have been either screaming abuse or frightened for my life. It really make me a nervous wreck. I now take the train when I visit. I can't imagine living there and owning a car - NO THANKS!
    I learned to drive in London which was an experience :eek:

It took me over an hour to drive 14 miles to work everyday :(
    Forum Member
    Ah the Blackwall tunnel! That takes me back to my childhood with my Dad thinking that he didn't need a map to get across London. The hours we spent hopelessly lost. "Just going to thread through here and pick up the North Circular..." many hours later still lost...

This was back in the late 60s/70s and there was no M25.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO - twonk following a GPS in a truck through Zone 1 to Bedford
    Forum Member
    maltshovel wrote: »
    I learned to drive in London which was an experience :eek:

It took me over an hour to drive 14 miles to work everyday :(

It really does send me temporally insane as they don't even seem to drive like anywhere else. It's very aggressive and I don't want to use my car as a battering ram. Seriously bad for my health. Best avoided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday evening - laughably called the "rush" hour. You're going bloody NOPLACE
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeks of filming and the best they can do is a pregnant woman with an anxiety attack. I am now going to seek out a similar level of intellectual stimulation- picking up dog mess in the local park.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Friday evening - laughably called the "rush" hour. You're going bloody NOPLACE

Should be renamed Gridlock Hour,:eek::) no way will i drive in London doesn't matter where you drive either gridlock everywhere in rush hour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme is making me feel stressed!

I am so glad I moved out of that hell hole!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually finding in quite interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helo clipping that crane..
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finding it a little boring tbh. Which is a shame. Just doesn't seem to have the same appeal as the tube programme.. probably because the tube one was mainly about people where as this one is about roads and cars.
    Forum Member
    I was going to say that they have turned the pothole into a mound! :D

It is a bit amateurish for people who do many of them a day.

And "It's only temporary" is just and excuse as that's all they ever do. They never do a full repair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shut up you bloody idiot! Should have dug up the pothole and left her to it