Options

Gary Barlow at New Year.

mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
Forum Member
✭✭
First thing I saw when I turned on the TV just before New Year was Gary Barlow singing then meeting and greeting an adoring public. He looked not just like the cat that got the cream but a cat that was positively rolling in the cream. He seems to have been in on everything this last year or so.
I don't know whether to admire him or be nauseated. Maybe there is a smidgen of envy there :confused: I only know I had to switch channels as I was beginning to feel the previous meal welling up.....:o
Should we not just confer a sainthood on him and be done with it or is this an honour only bestowed on the deceased?

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, he seems everywhere and is completely over exposed. I dont mind him but I felt the same, we were watching something, I turn over and find him on his show and sort of felt I couldnt watch it.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at a small house party and forced to watch by friend who thought he was fantastic and had I watched his other show? No, but oh was fantastic and he gave his soldier a guitar you know. Pity there is no BARF icon as I would use it now.

Half a bottle of wine whilst being forced to watch I noticed:

He doesn't open his mouth when talking sort of keeps the lips over his teeth.

He is totally shit at singing live.

Loves himself beyond belief.

Has a whiny speak voice.

I really really hate him, and hope I am never forced to have to watch or listen to him again.
  • Options
    ad_walkerad_walker Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    He is after a knighthood,so he can still get one over on robbie, even though they are mates again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of him now. All this overrating he's got has made me turn on him. It's made me realise last night (and on the Royal Variety) that he can't sing live, and he's got one of the most boring speaking voices I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will never get his knighthood. Tax dodgers have had theirs removed and though who did Ken Dodd get got one.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Total housewives favourite who seem to think he's attractive
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Total housewives favourite who seem to think he's attractive

I've got to be honest though - as much as I despise the man - he has proved that he is bigger than Take That and he truly doesn't need them. The next Take Tour and album that comes out - everyone will be saying what they did the first time around - Gary Barlow is the TALENTED one in the group. Which is probably how he likes it. Its going to be so embarrassing for Mark, Howard and Jason to be on stage with him - knowing that the audience is there only for Gary and that they three are there only by the good grace and favour of Gary Barlow.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I used to quite like him but I've gone off him lately.

He does seem to be really popular at the moment though.
  • Options
    Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    He's everywhere these days. I don't like or dislike him, but saw him singing 'Shine' live last night and though it was terrible :eek: No effort at all. I do a better job on the karaoke :D
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kay_Price wrote: »
    He's everywhere these days. I don't like or dislike him, but saw him singing 'Shine' live last night and though it was terrible :eek: No effort at all. I do a better job on the karaoke :D

I heard he did a duet with his younger self on the show. if true, I don't think self love gets much bigger... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he did!!!!! My friend was convinced when he introduced a duet it would be James Corban(sp), but no it was himself on stage with TT, from 20 odd years ago. Oh and the others cut out of the video.

Total T*at!
  • Options
    Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I heard he did a duet with his younger self on the show. if true, I don't think self love gets much bigger... :o

I read about that on another thread and thought wtf?? Thought I'd misunderstood what was being said :p I didn't see the show through to the end so I missed the duet, lol. Was is as cheesy as it sounds?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    He will never get his knighthood. Tax dodgers have had theirs removed and though who did Ken Dodd get got one.

Ken Dodd broke the law, Gary Barlow hasn't. Big difference between legal tax avoidance and illegal tax evasion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Ken Dodd broke the law, Gary Barlow hasn't. Big difference between legal tax avoidance and illegal tax evasion
    Strictly speaking - Doddie didn't break the law. Represented by the successful George Carman - he was found not guilty on all charges and so you shouldn't really say that he broke the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he was not forgiven. Hence he disappeared from TV etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But he was not forgiven. Hence he disappeared from TV etc.
    TV work had actually started to dry up before the trial though. If anything - the controversy gave him new-found fame.

Personally I don't like the bloke - but his stand-up is funny - and apparently for those who go to see him - he is excellent value for money. Besides that - at least he has a personality - unlike Barlow.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    ad_walker wrote: »
    He is after a knighthood,so he can still get one over on robbie, even though they are mates again.

You know Gary then? Nice one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ad_walker wrote: »
    He is after a knighthood,.
    I think he's set his sights on things higher than a knighthood. At least that's what the look on his face seems to see everytime we see him with arms outstretched, smug grin firmly in place as if to say 'I'm BACK!':D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV work had actually started to dry up before the trial though. If anything - the controversy gave him new-found fame.

Personally I don't like the bloke - but his stand-up is funny - and apparently for those who go to see him - he is excellent value for money. Besides that - at least he has a personality - unlike Barlow.

Well that is very true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's set his sights on things higher than a knighthood. At least that's what the look on his face seems to see everytime we see him with arms outstretched, smug grin firmly in place as if to say 'I'm BACK!':D

So will he be walking on water this year, just making that extra effort?:D

I heard pope Francis has him earmarked for sainthood.;-)
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Yes he did!!!!! My friend was convinced when he introduced a duet it would be James Corban(sp), but no it was himself on stage with TT, from 20 odd years ago. Oh and the others cut out of the video.

Total T*at!

God, really? urgh! what song, out of interest?
  • Options
    KittenPartyKittenParty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    God, really? urgh! what song, out of interest?

A Million Love Songs Later. Done without any irony that he was duetting on a love song with himself. Truly truly awful.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

But his tax dogging was played down and buried by the press when Jimmy Carr became public enemy number one Tax dodger (and rightly so) Luckily for Barlow he didn't base his career on bashing tax avoiding by the rich and bankers unlike the hypocrite Carr. It was interesting when the PM named Carr as a tax dodger but refused to comment on Tory supporter and fundraiser Barlow. Sadly he will get knighted as that's the way it works - snuggle up to one of the political parties and supporting the military always helps.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me started on this. Two bottles of wine was not even nearly enough to compensate me having to sit through him on new year's eve. The way he walked through the crowd, shaking everyone's hand and the duet with himself...he's bloody Gary Barlow, but acted as if he was a huge star like the male Beyonce or something. Also, when he sings his mouth hardly moves...he looks as if he's got jaw lock. His performing skills are terrible...he's not even that old and he looks good for his age, yet he walks aroudn the stage and performs like a 70 year old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't get me started on this. Two bottles of wine was not even nearly enough to compensate me having to sit through him on new year's eve. The way he walked through the crowd, shaking everyone's hand and the duet with himself...he's bloody Gary Barlow, but acted as if he was a huge star like the male Beyonce or something. Also, when he sings his mouth hardly moves...he looks as if he's got jaw lock. His performing skills are terrible...he's not even that old and he looks good for his age, yet he walks aroudn the stage and performs like a 70 year old.

To be honest though - the other channels did nothing to oppose it so its no wonder the ratings were good (that and Barlow's housewife brigade). We ended up watching some films we'd managed to get hold of so we were spared. I must admit to a tiny pinch of curiosity as to this self-indulgent duet he did! Anything for a laugh!