Price of chip shops these days?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
A take away from a chippy is a very rare thing for me, sure I have Chinese, McDonald's etc through out the year but a chippy is an annual kind of thing, anyway we were at the sea side yesterday and as you do had to get fish and chips, so found a nice little chippy £7 for cod and chips:o If it was just me I might of paid it but had the family with me and couldn't justify the price I reluctantly paid £3 for a tray of chips which killed the hunger.

Is this the price of chippys these days or is this one inflated being by the sea side etc?

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the price of chippys these days or is this one inflated being by the sea side etc?

Take a guess.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A take away from a chippy is a very rare thing for me, sure I have Chinese, McDonald's etc through out the year but a chippy is an annual kind of thing, anyway we were at the sea side yesterday and as you do had to get fish and chips, so found a nice little chippy £7 for cod and chips:o If it was just me I might of paid it but had the family with me and couldn't justify the price I reluctantly paid £3 for a tray of chips which killed the hunger.

Sounds about normal.

I usually just go and buy a bag of chips from the chippy whilst cooking some fish from the supermarket in the oven. Tastes pretty much the same and half the price.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Local to me fish and chips is £4.80.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live at the seaside and there is a really good local chippy at the end of my road. Crispy, fresh, beautiful haddock and a mountain of proper chips costs £4.60. We get no holiday makers where I live.
    If I was to be so daft as to go to the prom and buy the fish and chips the tourists buy, it'd be half the amount of chips - and they'd be frozen - and mediocre fish more than likely also frozen for six quid or so.

So yep, in my opinion, places that cater for holiday makers at the seaside are a rip off.

Mind you, places that cater for holiday makers anywhere are, too.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I live in a seaside town we have have a fair few ' chippy's 6 to 7 quid is about right for decent fish and chips , the cheaper places tend to be a bit crappy
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    £7 is tourist prices.

I can buy a standard fish and chips around here for about half that price.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chips should not cost more then a quid.....
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

You don't buy chips very often then?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You don't buy chips very often then?

I said they should. I never said they did.....
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cleethorpes has some of the best seaside fish & chips in the country!!

Skegness not so good from experience and more expensive
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Prices are going to vary from one place to another (my local chippie does excellent cod & chips for £5.30) but what I find surprising about the prices you quote is that cod & chips was £7, but a tray of chips was £3! It doesn't sound as though the cod was particularly expensive, but the price of the chips sounds a bit steep! Just for comparison, the cod in my local chippie is £3.60 and a tray of chips is £1.70.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too expensive, it's almost a shame to be British.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £4.80 gets you 2 crispy haddock & a stack of chips here, they local also do a small (1 haddock) & chips for £3.50. Nice
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member

You do know it's 2014 right?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find that a cone of chips is sufficient so it's about £5 for fish and chips.

The tourists pay the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Chicken & Chips cost £1 at my nearest Chip shop. Majority of the people in my area buy Chicken & Chips and it's quite rare to see someone buy Fish & Chips.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haddock and chips at my local chippy costs £5.20 but........the fish are the size of whales :o and i now only have a small portion of chips as they really pile 'em on! :D

After watching the documentary series on Trawlermen i don't begrudge the cost of fish any more. They put their lives at risk every time they go out.

Once you've been to a good chippy selling quality fish 'n chips, decent portions at sensible prices, you tend to get 'picky'!

This is one of the best 'chippys' i've experienced. Miles away from where i live it's in Cromer, Norfolk, and there is always a queue at peak times to get served.....even for 'take away'.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Chicken & Chips cost £1 at my nearest Chip shop. Majority of the people in my area buy Chicken & Chips and it's quite rare to see someone buy Fish & Chips.

This will probably sound snobbish but my first thought at seeing 1 Pound or 1 Dollar chicken and chips etc... would be: Is it almost out of date? What's wrong with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A whole pound eh? That chicken must be so nutritious! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these the owners of that joint?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

I automatically thought of the characters of the dodgy chicken shop in Viz! :D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How's that even possible without them going bankrupt? I could possibly see the ingredients costing that or less, but when you throw in the cost of running a chip shop and wages for workers or money for owners I don't know how that could be done. :confused:

A 25kg bag of chip shop spuds apparently costs between about £8-£12 and according to what I've just read, you get about 30 portions of chips out of one sack. So that's 30p for a start before you peel, cut or cook them which will take power and equipment plus you have to pay somebody. Then there's your chicken on top and oil, seasoning, whatever it's all wrapped in and anything I might've overlooked.

Maybe they're philanphropists in a novel way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    How's that even possible without them going bankrupt? I could possibly see the ingredients costing that or less, but when you throw in the cost of running a chip shop and wages for workers or money for owners I don't know how that could be done. :confused:
    Min wage workers and the 'chicken' will be that evil processed preformed crap. Like eating paper mache flavoured with chicken stock.

Just surprised Ramo is still here to tell the story......he's lucky to be alive! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    This will probably sound snobbish but my first thought at seeing 1 Pound or 1 Dollar chicken and chips etc... would be: Is it almost out of date? What's wrong with it?
    It's not out of date. When you go into the shop and ask for Chicken & Chips, you have to wait till they have both been fried.
    80sfan wrote: »
    A whole pound eh? That chicken must be so nutritious! :D
    Lol
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No :D
    sodavlac wrote: »

A 25kg bag of chip shop spuds apparently costs between about £8-£12 and according to what I've just read, you get about 30 portions of chips out of one sack. So that's 30p for a start before you peel, cut or cook them which will take power and equipment plus you have to pay somebody. Then there's your chicken on top and oil, seasoning, whatever it's all wrapped in and anything I might've overlooked.

Maybe they're philanphropists in a novel way.

They don't just sell Chicken & Chips. They sell other foods like Kebab, Burger and Salad.
    Some of the shops charge £1 where as other shops charge £1.50 - £2.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yum yum.... Tabby and Ginger chicken.... can't beat it.Cats in the Curry Mile, anyone? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-28834632