Crimes of Passion (Swedish crime drama) BBC4

Comments

• via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this link works better:
    Crimes of Passion TV Series

Quote from Wiki:
    Crimes of Passion is a Swedish drama television series that was first broadcast on TV4 on 8 March 2013. The six-part series is based on the crime novels by author Dagmar Lange. The series has been described as Mad Men meeting The Killing. Each episode is a whodunnit where the lives of different characters are explored.

Hope it's good!
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    What's happened to the final Montalbano episode?

Last weeks' one was episode 9 of 10.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Poor reviews by the Swedish critics. I hope it's better than the short trailer shown in the second link.
  • willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor reviews by the Swedish critics. I hope it's better than the short trailer shown in the second link.

Do you have a link for this? I've clicked on the Wiki link it just gives info and the plot.

I'm looking forward to this. BBC4 have also bought the rights to the Danish Historical drama 1864 and the original Israeli thriller Hostages.

I was annoyed when America re-made Hostages, then, Channel 4 aired it (on principal I refused to watch the remake) and was hoping someone would buy the original. BBC4 have :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbc-four-acquisitions-dec.html
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    At last, I never got on with Montalbano. I will certainly check it out. Also looking forward to 1864. I did watch the remade Hostages, but will watch the Israeli one, as I suspect it will be much better.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I always try to ignore critics' opinions
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this :)
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll give this one a miss. Apparently it's set in the 50s and is more Agatha Christie than Wallander. I get the impression the TV companies just stick anything on from Scandinavia at times and we're meant to not notice the quality difference between that and the really good stuff like The Bridge, The Killing, Wallander - they did that with Those Who Kill.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll give this one a miss. Apparently it's set in the 50s and is more Agatha Christie than Wallander. I get the impression the TV companies just stick anything on from Scandinavia at times and we're meant to not notice the quality difference between that and the really good stuff like The Bridge, The Killing, Wallander - they did that with Those Who Kill.
    I'm wondering about it too, but will watch in hope it will be good....

The problem is, there don't appear to be many good 'scandi noir' drama series immediately available to BBC4 .
    Arne Dahl returns in spring 2015, but until then?
    Hopefully they'll find something... even if it's good repeats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So who drove off in the motorboat??
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Very disappointed. I won't be watching again.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...what's the verdict?

Visually it's lovely and I like the period setting (quite a change from the washed-out khaki shades of usual Scandi dramas).

The story though was rather farcical with everyone being somehow involved with everyone else. It seemed to be one reveal after another punctuated with meaningful cigarette breaks in the woods. And are we really believe that plain, middle-aged, ginger Rutger really had three women interested in him? :confused:

My favourite line was: "Does anyone have any flares?"

To which someone should have replied: "Of course not. They won't be in fashion for another 20 yrs".
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed 20 mins of this before going back to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Wish I'd stuck with Bond.

CoP was stupefyingly stagey and dreary. Everyone dressed in immaculately tasteful 'period' costume. An impossibly craggy detective drove an impossibly shiny car. Most of the characters looked like most of the other characters, making it extra hard to care when one of them got murdered.

Avoid.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So who drove off in the motorboat??

Nobody. The artist guy fell off the boat into the water and because he left the key in the ignition, the boat sped away on it's own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    . And are we really believe that plain, middle-aged, ginger Rutger really had three women interested in him? :confused:

I don't see why not.... Rolf Lassgård's version of Wallander was never short of female attention
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very different from all the other Scandi stuff we've seen so far and as even one of the characters remarked "like ten little indians" (ie Christie) I enjoyed it.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    So...what's the verdict?

Visually it's lovely and I like the period setting (quite a change from the washed-out khaki shades of usual Scandi dramas).

The story though was rather farcical with everyone being somehow involved with everyone else. It seemed to be one reveal after another punctuated with meaningful cigarette breaks in the woods. And are we really believe that plain, middle-aged, ginger Rutger really had three women interested in him? :confused:

My favourite line was: "Does anyone have any flares?"

To which someone should have replied: "Of course not. They won't be in fashion for another 20 yrs".

:D:D:D Exactly what I was thinking. In a French and Saunders montage, someone would have said just that.

Disappointing, all round.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't mind it at all, I thought the killer was Eje for some reason, will give it another go next week. Visually it also looked great, would love a summer home on a Swedish island :)
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Didn't mind it at all, I thought the killer was Eje for some reason, will give it another go next week. Visually it also looked great, would love a summer home on a Swedish island :)
    I think Eejit is one or the main characters - so will be in it every week.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So...what's the verdict?

Yes, agreed.
    The story though was rather farcical with everyone being somehow involved with everyone else. It seemed to be one reveal after another punctuated with meaningful cigarette breaks in the woods.
    Well, the group was largely composed of people who'd been to university together so there had been various pairings in the past. So it made sense and the title "Crimes of Passion" seemed apt I thought.
    And are we really believe that plain, middle-aged, ginger Rutger really had three women interested in him? :confused:

Yes, that was a bit odd, he didn't look like he'd attract several women.

I've often enjoyed stylish 1930s 'house-party' multiple murder stories like some of the Poirot ones though this was 1950s and Swedish. They certainly aren't realistic, or gritty urban noir like we're used to, more like a murder mystery game but I thought it was good entertainment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Eejit is one or the main characters - so will be in it every week.

I thought it was a series of stand-alone mysteries, 6 episodes in all. Going by previews read. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i thought it was eje too!!

i thought the scenery was stunning and makes me want to go there but although it was passable as i had nothing better to do, it wasnt as good as i was hoping it would be.

so i'm not suprised that the swedish critics slammed it because it certainly is not the killing but i guess it was never meant to be.

so if i'm doing nothing much next saturday then i will tune in again but if i am, then i dont think i will be missing much.

bit gutted really :cry:

Yeah, would agree with that.
    If its a choice between this or Casualty, x-factor etc, I'll give it another go though :D
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty crappy denouement.

I fancied the blonde bit who left with the detective at the end.

I was expecting it to be poor after looking at the low IMDb ratings, but it wasn't quite as bad as I'd feared. Mediocre. Will probably watch again next week.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promising for a minute or two, visually bright and beautiful, but I heard myself repeating "Oh dear" over and over in an incredulous and depressed tone.

Also, I was so looking forward to seeing Linda's dead boyfriend revived - but he's looking decidedly less sleek 'n sexy.