Options

Golf 2016 thread

Comments

• Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    A great start by Shane. I like most of the players on the leaderboard and it's likely to be a new and popular winner unless Jason makes a surge on the final round.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    A great start by Shane. I like most of the players on the leaderboard and it's likely to be a new and popular winner unless Jason makes a surge on the final round.

Yes I think Shane would be a good winner but a four shot lead is nothing in this
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said after last year's USPGA that I expect Willett and Lowry to be contending for majors in 2016. Lowry especially, I've been talking him up for a while now to anyone who will listen.

However I backed neither of them. :D:(
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Dustin Johnson ever wins one it would be from behind chasing. You'd know if he ever started out as leader he'd just inevitably blow it at some point anyway.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westwood not waiting until the back 9 before crumbling. +5 for the day after 5 holes.

DJ gets within two shots then misses a tiddler for birdie. Garcia, Grace etc aren't exactly experts in sealing the deal in major's either. Piercy looks the best of the contenders at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westwood bet definitely gone however if furyk can get in at -2 that might be enough for him and for me
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet lowry at 6/1 last night, when a few of them were -3.

looked good till they started the 4th round!

Go Shane

----
    I also had Zach for top 5, when he was 4/1 last night, at +1 - but he's made no progress.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I bet lowry at 6/1 last night, when a few of them were -3.

looked good till they started the 4th round!

Go Shane

He's holding on - fingers crossed he can stay ahead as Dustin will be just as nervous at the end. With these harsh greens anything can happen and Jim could be sitting pretty in the club house. Poor Lee, I never have confidence that he will hold up on the final day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You always expect a dustin Johnston disaster at some point on a back 9 Sunday
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have got a feeling Dustin Johnson will finally win a major
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    I have got a feeling Dustin Johnson will finally win a major

Problems for dj
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Problems for dj
    Do you think he touched the ball with his putter, because on the replays it looks like the ball slightly moved
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think he touched the ball with his putter, because on the replays it looks like the ball slightly moved

I have watched it a few times now, it's hard to say looks like it's moved but not sure if he did
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not fair they took 6 holes to tell him and are now letting him play on without knowing the resolution!

Imagine that in other sports like football, 'yeah that might have been a goal we'll have a look at it and let you know after the game!'

Johnson doesn't need much to bottle it at the best of times this is going to pickle his head.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not fair on the other players either.

If Lowry is one shot behind playing the last, he won't know whether he needs a birdie to force a playoff or just a par.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, Shane continues to do a spieth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't rule out loads of players in an 18 hole play off tomorrow on -1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't rule out loads of players in an 18 hole play off tomorrow on -1
    The last time we had a play off was when Tiger Woods won his last major
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to get interesting - DJ does get rather close to the ball with his practice strokes and again when he puts his putter behind it. Initially his playing partner Westwood seems to think he has caused it to move I think ... then DJ says he didn't ground it.

Not sure why they need to talk to DJ though unless they think he is telling porkies ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last time we had a play off was when Tiger Woods won his last major

18 holes play off on a Monday is a complete nonsense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    18 holes play off on a Monday is a complete nonsense
    I think there was one at Oakmont when Ernie Els, Loren Roberts and Colin Montgomerie contested it, and people thought it was great drama as it went to the final hole
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there was one at Oakmont when Ernie Els, Loren Roberts and Colin Montgomerie contested it, and people thought it was great drama as it went to the final hole

Yes remember both of those well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes remember both of those well
    Well it was Colin Montgomeries best chance of winning a major, so thats why i remember it
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shot at 18 by dj looks like he will win really happy for him and what a great week for furyk and the Usga are a joke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dazc wrote: »
    What a shot at 18 by dj looks like he will win really happy for him and what a great week for furyk and the Usga are a joke

Well done dustin he should have won a major before now