Liverpool announces bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games

marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
Forum Member
✭✭
Liverpool has officially announced plans to bring the 2026 Commonwealth Games to the British city.

Mayor Joe Anderson, who pledged before his re-election earlier this year, to seriously investigate whether the city should put itself forward and had written to British Culture Secretary John Whittingdale to seek his support, revealed the news at 20:26 local time this evening.

He had initially claimed there was widespread backing to the idea and has confirmed they would first conduct a feasibility study.

Sir Richard Leese, the leader of the City Council in Manchester, which hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games, is also behind Liverpool's bid, while former British Prime Minister David Cameron revealed in May he would support any British city who wished to bid for the event in 10 years' time.

Britain's chosen city will be formally confirmed in 2018, with suggestions Birmingham might also be interested.

Wales withdrew its plans to bid last week, citing economic concerns due to Brexit, which had made an attempt at securing the hosting rights for the Games "difficult to justify".

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040249/liverpool-formally-announces-bid-for-2026-commonwealth-games

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,804
    Forum Member
    An interesting move - they would have a lot of work to do building wise I presume?
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everton have been making noises about wanting a new stadium for a good while. Could see them moving in afterwards just like Manchester City did after 2002 and West Ham are about to following the Olympics. Perhaps they'd even partially fund it?
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,325
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Everton have been making noises about wanting a new stadium for a good while. Could see them moving in afterwards just like Manchester City did after 2002 and West Ham are about to following the Olympics. Perhaps they'd even partially fund it?

I was thinking the same thing, however can Everton afford to stay at Goodison for another 10 years? 2 years till the bid city is announced and then another 2 I guess till the city is announced?
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2018 for a bid city to be announced
    2019 winning host decided
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would prefer a 2030 CWG in the UK.
    Commemorate the Centennary of the Games.

Then might be the time to let them go.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, however can Everton afford to stay at Goodison for another 10 years? 2 years till the bid city is announced and then another 2 I guess till the city is announced?

If the stadium is to have a permanent athletics track, or one with moveable seating they could build it sharpish and relocate to it 3 or 4 years before the games. That might be a solution that would suit all parties.

Of course, putting faith in that plan would require putting faith in Liverpool actually winning the bid between now and 2019. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe there's hardly any competition to be the host city these days so they must stand a very good chance if they went for it.

Edit: Just looked it up. Glasgow 2014 faced competition from 1 city , Abuja in Nigeria. Gold Coast 2018 was also against 1 - Hambantota in Sri Lanka. Durban was the only city to officially to bid for it 2022.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer a 2030 CWG in the UK.
    Commemorate the Centennary of the Games.

Then might be the time to let them go.

Why??
  • Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want Gateshead/Newcastle/ dt go for it. Not that we have anywhere near adequete facilities