Options

Really sad as I think my cat is missing. Any advice on how to find her?

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news chuck :) So pleased for you.

Still no sign of Layla :(
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay so pleased for you, hope Kitty gets lots of Sheba :D

It's encouraging to think that Kitty went missing almost 2 weeks & was found, so take heart StressMonkey... hope there's good news too for you soon... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yippee, fab news!

Good luck for Layla also, try not to worry, though I know that is easier said than done.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I'm so pleased for you chuck, great news:D How far had she strayed from home?

Fingers crossed Layla will soon be back too.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I'm so pleased for you chuck, great news:D How far had she strayed from home?

Fingers crossed Layla will soon be back too.

It's quite funny actually! She managed to get lost (and give up it seems) on the street where we used to live! Before Kitty though. We got her when we'd already moved into our current house.

The lady who found her (who we kind of knew when we used to live there!) said she had noticed her wandering around their street for a few days, but because even though she didn't have a collar on (she must've lost it in the woods) her coat looked ok, she didn't look particularly starving and she was very friendly, she assumed she just lived nearby.

But she said she got a bit suspicious when Kitty kept trying to get into her house and also began sleeping outside her garage instead of going home to sleep. THEN! By chance, when it was nice weather the other day, she walked to her daughters school to pick her up and saw one of my posters! :D After reading the description and seeing the picture, she ran straight home with her daughter and started calling "Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!" and when she came running, she took her into her house, fed her, comforted her and rang me!! She said she'd probably kept hydrated by the watering can their cat uses to drink from too.

She was so lovely and gave me a big hug and a kiss as she was so happy for me. Lovely lady :)

So Kitty's here with me now. She's a little bit scared at the mo, and very tired. But I've fed her some more and she's now sleeping in my bedroom. Major (our dog) was happy to see her and so was my boyfriend. I've fed her some more, and will soon get back to the old routine. But I've got to get her a new collar and tag now! :mad: :rolleyes: Also definitely going to get her microchipped.

She doesn't look very different to be honest. I think perhaps people around the street might have fed her because she's not very skinny at all.

All my thoughts and prayers are now with Layla and Spencer :(

Please keep us posted. I really really am praying that you find your kitties or they find you :)

I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who kept giving me hope and checking in to see where the situation was. Very sweet of you all. So thank you :) x x x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to hear chuck. I think I'll print more posters tomorrow (I'm out of ink!) and poster a bit further afield. It shows that people don't always think a cat is a stray and so don't pick it up & report to a vet or rescue who might have it's details even if they have suspicions. Not sure I would if it looked healthy.

I think the key is getting her face out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this thread earlier and was so pleased Kitty came back. I just wanted to say that my ginger tom likes to wander and he usually disappears and 2-3 weeks later he reappears. But this time he went off and 3 months later he has just meowed his way through the door. I hope your cat returns soon Stressmonkey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So glad you now have Kitty back - and it sounds like she was well cared for once your ex-neighbour found her. Hope she stays close to home now!
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    So glad that Kitty is back, I've been thinking of you and her:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Layla's back!!!!!!:D

Just came trotting down the garden wall. OH fetched her in & she is now grounded:D

She seems to have been fed and stroked (her hair on her head and back is smooth) but her belly is a bit matted.

Phew.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Cats that go missing often just move in somewhere else.

Not a lot you can do about this. Mine went missing at 11 years old for 2 months but she reappeared when they stopped spoiling her.

I was frantic at the time but now realise that worrying doesn't get you anywhere and they are most likely fine just asserting their independence.

A cat that regularly goes missing for long periods probably has another adopted owner or even two, these timeshare cats are quite common.

If people did not take other peoples cats into their houses and feed them then this would happen a lot less but we are a nation of cat lovers so I doubt this would ever happen.

Glad yours came back so quickly. I had better go and feed mine now.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so pleased to hear that Kitty and Layla are both home, you must both be so relieved :)

I'm sure cats do it on purpose to keep us on our toes at times ;) I once spent all day looking for Rosie, standing in the garden shaking her food, and walking up and down the street, practically in tears, only to find she'd been sitting in my wardrobe all day, ignoring me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huuuge amazing news. I've been coming back to check on this thread.
  • Options
    aimlessunitedaimlessunited Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Hooray for Kitty and Layla, very good news indeed

Lots of hugs to you both, hope Spencer comes home soon

My friend had a cat and a little sausage dog for years, although they weren't cat lovers as such. The cat disappeared and after a couple of months they got a greyhound. They got a shock a couple of years later when their cat turned up out of the blue still with the same collar and name tag and everything - they could never tell if it had been living rough or had been taken in by another family - she had been missing for almost 3 years!!!!

There is always hope even after a period of time

x
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just came trotting down the garden wall. OH fetched her in & she is now grounded:D

She seems to have been fed and stroked (her hair on her head and back is smooth) but her belly is a bit matted.

Hooray! What a relief! I bet you never know where she got to! So pleased for you SM.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I've been following this thread ever since chuck posted originally and am SO glad that Kitty & Layla are safely back home. Hope Spencer gets back soon hun.

I had a beautiful "Arthur's", ie pure white cat called Oscar who was extremely soft, friendly, and greedy! He would go to anyone, specially if they had food :D He often used to go walkabout for a couple of days, but he went missing once for nearly 6 months - at the time he'd been 1 of 2 cats and my other cat was getting very lonely, having always had a companion, so I contacted Cats Protection and adopted a kitten whilst Oscar was missing. Then purely by chance I saw an ad in the Lost and Found column of my local paper and called the lady who'd placed it - it turned out he'd been living rough about 2 miles away, he'd have had to cross at least 3 major roads in Cardiff, yikes, to get there - and when I picked him up he went mad cuddling and nuzzling me! What's more he was like a barrel! Nearly twice the size he was before so he'd obviously not gone hungry lol. He was very pleased to see his companion on getting home but went straight up to the kitten and boxed her across the face! Talk about being bossy!

Anyway sorry for the length of this post but it just brought back all the memories of that time.
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news - delighted to hear that Layla & Kitty are back home where they belong..

Come on now spencer, put us out of our misery !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Just thought i would add something.

I had a cat of 4 months go missing for a whole week. I left it late to start putting up pictures no sooner was i going round lamp posts putting them up it just appeared at the window as if it had never been away.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member

Horraaaaaay!!! :D

I've got such a huge grin on my face! I'm so happy for you both! :) You must be so relieved.

I must say, although you were frantic with worry, I like the way you said she "just came trotting down the garden wall", like nothing had happened, haha!

Were you at home at the time? Or was it your OH who saw her and fetched her. What a shock it must've been to see her!! :)

Now we just need Spencer (the missing cat from the other thread) to come home..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was walking the dogs - looking for her!! OH thought he heard Stripe outside meowing - then saw Stripe inside waiting for her breakfast!! So he went into the back garden and she came trotting down the wall. He grabbed her before she had second thoughts! and brought her inside. I get back and she gives me her usual 'OK, hello, good morning, whatever, now fuss me' meow like she had never been away!

I'm going to have to use the clippers to get some of the matts out but appart from that she is fine:D SUCH a relief!!

She now has new collar (she is not impressed with it!) and tag so she looks a bit more 'owned'.

Fingers crossed for Spencer. If someone was good enough to call you and my 'special needs' Persian can just wander home, then I'm sure a tough cat like Spencer will be fine:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news that Layla's returned safe & well:).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Isaac Hunt wrote: »
    Just thought i would add something.

I had a cat of 4 months go missing for a whole week. I left it late to start putting up pictures no sooner was i going round lamp posts putting them up it just appeared at the window as if it had never been away.

I had one since 2001 that went missing for a week in 2003. Came back after a whole week, with ticks! Vet said the only place he would have picked up those ticks was in a forrest about 10 miles away. Goodness only knows what he was doing there!

I still have him and fortunately he's never gone missing for more than a night since, though he once came back after a night out stinking of ciggy smoke! :eek:.

I hope Spencer comes back too...
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    suwwy21 wrote: »
    Hey just to let you guys know about 30 mins after putting leaflets through peoples doors we got a phone call off a guy in the next street :cry: turns out he ran over our cat on sunday night around midnight :cry::cry: absolutley devastated every now & then i keep bubbling up thinking about the little guy its got me in pieces i keep looking for him out the window even though i kjnow hes gone :cry:

I really hope kitty turns up i know how awfull it is when you dont know how they are,just keep looking & hopefully she will turn up safe & sound

Oh, honey. I am so, SO sorry. Thinking of you. X
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So please to hear that Kitty and Layla are home safe and sound.

Also so sad to hear about Tiger :( poor little thing. It was nice of the man to own up about what had happened - a lot of people wouldn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    So pleased to hear some of the missing kitties have been found.
    So sad to read about the little kitty who was run over but I'm so glad the chap who ran him over had the decency to call and let you know.

For anyone who is still missing a kitty here is a quite comprehensive list of tips...

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace however it's best to put posters in plastic wallets so if it rains they don't go all soggy - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area. It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of cho-colates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget. Knock on 10 doors either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Check to see if there are any empty buildings for sale in the area. If there are it is worth checking with the estate agent in case they have shown someone round and shut the cat in. Also it is worth checking places where there may be builders in refurbishing a property in case the cat has got under the floorboards or in a cavity wall etc.

4. Look our for any abandoned vehicles, empty or semi-empty skips in case the cat has got in and can't get out.

5. Contact / check any community buildings where functions are held such as church halls, community halls etc. - in case your cat could be shut in a cupboard or toilet.

Please NOTE: The only authorised people who can break into a building if no one can be found to open it are the RSPCA but they are
    not always co-operative. Even the police and fire brigade need RSPCA permission.

6. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius. Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

7. Leave food out and a toy of his.

8. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing.

9. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

10. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats.

11. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area. Also try and enlist the help of people walking dogs as they tend to go “off road” in the fields and parks.

12. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

13. Put an advert in the local paper

14. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

15. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

16. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

17. If you have Pet Insurance check your policy to see if they will assist with advertising costs or reward costs for a lost cat. Some policies cover as much as £1000 of local advertising and upto £500 reward.

18. Email the lost poster to all the people you know who live in the area and ask them to forward to others they know. This is a quick way to get your poster circulated.

Finally have a look at these sites - they are all EXCELLENT

www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php

www.mymoggy.com/ contact Sue at mymoggy.

www.thehovel.com/bb/index.php?f=28&ppage=20&sort=lastpost&order=DESC

www.nationalpetregister.org

www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

www.petsearchuk.co.uk/lost_and_found_pets.php

www.amissingpet.co.uk/lostandfound.html

www.animalsearchuk.com/

www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=447

www.lostmycat.org/index.php

www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/lostfound.html

www.foundandlostpets.co.uk/

www.petsmiles.com/v1/found.php

Also don't forget to check ad websites, such as.....

www.friday-ad.co.uk

www.adtrader.co.uk

www.uk.freeads.net

www.classifieds.co.uk

Good luck and stay positive.

Hopefully your little one has just got itself shut in a shed somewhere.

And finally ……. IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get your furbabe back remember to remove ALL the posters and inform all vets / rescues / websites etc that they are home.