Firework Season

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone making preparations for the firework season if their pet is terrified by the noises & flashes? I know several dog owners that book holiday cottages in the middle of Dartmoor for instance, just to get away from the worst of it!

I'm lucky in that my dogs & cats are not particularly bothered by the noises or at least they are easily placated by a warm body to cuddle up to:). But I know other people whose dogs are too terrified to leave the house after dark once they've heard the first firework of the autumn.

Comments

• deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my Cat loves fireworks. Ho won't tolerate being locked in on bonfire night...not a chance !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for all the wildlife ,nevermind my own dogs :(.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only my girl's second bonfire night - she wasn't fussed in the slightest last year.

She doesn't go out at night anyway so I don't foresee any problems.

LOL at the cat that 'loves' fireworks :D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem we have is the season gets longer each year the first ones went off here 2 weeks ago and if it's like last year it will be after new year when the last ones go off - quite a long time to disappear from home :(

So we will do what we usually do - close windows play music as loud as our neighbours can stand and try and ignore them. :mad:
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boys were only 4 months old last bonfire night so weren't really bothered, they were still having too much fun exploring and playing to take any notice. This year though I think my black and white cat will panic a bit, his fur frequently bushes up at the slightest sudden noise like sneezes or a fork dropped on the floor bless him. I'll just keep them both in and they can sit next to me and watch the tv instead.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I used to have a major problem with my cats being scared of fireworks - then I happened to read Jan Fennell's dog behaviour book, and figured what worked with her dogs would work with our cats so I tried it.

She said the dogs picked up on her reactions to see if they should be frightened. If she tried to reassure them (which is what I used to do) they decided it must definitely be scary! But if she ignored them, and acted like everything was fine, her dogs relaxed and weren't bothered. I tried it with my cats, and ended up watching a display from the window with one of my cats on my lap enjoying it too! So now I never reassure them or fuss round them, I just carry on like nothing's happening. I make sure I get them in early so they're not at risk outdoors though.

I noticed at the vet's yesterday they are promoting a new product for 'stress' called Zylkene which was said to be helpful during firework season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorisday74 wrote: »

Totally agree ~ it must be terrifying for the poor things.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco has already started selling the dam things,they asked my wife (works there) if she would serve on the firework stand but she told them where to go.:mad:
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily none of my lot are bothered by them. We took Barney to the park one evening in October last year and there was an impromptu firework display while we were there. He didn't even stop playing with his football or seem to notice anything out of the ordinary. He's a bit older and wiser this year though so I'll have to hope he's not going to change his mind about them.

Both cats sit in the window and try to 'catch' them :rolleyes:

I know it's an awful time for anyone who's pet is afraid of them. My last dog was terrified and used to turn into a trembling, jumpy, wreck at this time of year. We made up a safe area in the bathroom for him on the actual night and left him in there with the radio on loud enough to cover up most the bangs. Our bathroom has no windows which helps with soundproofing. Beware of local radio stations though. Ours decided to play the sound of bloody fireworks to advertise the local display which sent my poor dog into complete and utter panic.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Tesco has already started selling the dam things,they asked my wife (works there) if she would serve on the firework stand but she told them where to go.:mad:

Good on her:D. My view is that fireworks should be restricted to proper organised displays in a few locations & on only one day a year ~ not intermittantly from now till next year! But perhaps I'm just a killjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    Good on her:D. My view is that fireworks should be restricted to proper organised displays in a few locations & on only one day a year ~ not intermittantly from now till next year! But perhaps I'm just a killjoy.

You get my vote.:)
  • evanscevansc Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone making preparations for the firework season if their pet is terrified by the noises & flashes? I know several dog owners that book holiday cottages in the middle of Dartmoor for instance, just to get away from the worst of it!

I'm lucky in that my dogs & cats are not particularly bothered by the noises or at least they are easily placated by a warm body to cuddle up to:). But I know other people whose dogs are too terrified to leave the house after dark once they've heard the first firework of the autumn.

Not me, don't have a cat or a dog (thankfully). I just hope the owners keep 'em indoors or put muzzles on them to stop the flippin' things barking as I have lots of the damn things near me!.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    dorisday74 wrote: »
    Me too, and animals out in fields (or even in barns and stables) poor things must be terrified.

My cats couldn't care less about fireworks. My dog sits in the window and watches them, it's the smell of smoke he doesn't like.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evansc wrote: »
    Not me, don't have a cat or a dog (thankfully). I just hope the owners keep 'em indoors or put muzzles on them to stop the flippin' things barking as I have lots of the damn things near me!.

How awful for you, best thing in life is a furry body that loves you !
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evansc wrote: »

What pets do you have then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    How awful for you, best thing in life is a furry body that loves you !

Never been the same since the wife stopped using immac.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    You get my vote.:)

My vote too! Hate the flippin things. Not sure how Alf will be as its his first, he's heard a couple so far that have just made him stop what he was doing. Will have to see how he goes bearing in mind he's scared of a cardboard box I think I'm in for a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my recipe for dealing with dogs on Bonfire Night. It won't work for dogs that are already terrified of fireworks but for first timers & prevention of fear developing, this can help:

Nice long afternoon walk to get them physically & mentally tired but finishing before any hint of early fireworks.

Large dinner early evening before fireworks start, possibly finishing with bones, rawhide chew, pig's ear etc.

Then draw the curtains, close the windows, turn the heating up (warm dogs tend to be sleepier than chilly dogs!) & put the TV on ~ if planned in advance you can arrange to watch DVD with large bottle of wine & big box of chocs:D.

Cuddle up with your dog & enjoy the evening. Any whizz, bangs, flashes or screams should be totally ignored by all members of the family.

Before you go to bed let the dog out for its toiletting but check the garden first to make sure that there are no fireworks still going on.

Only potential problem with this is if this is completely different from your normal evenings at home ~ your dog may be on edge wondering why the routine is so different from usual. Luckily for me, this is a typical evening:D.

Happy Bonfire Night!
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Dogs Trust have just posted a link on Twitter to Dogs And Fireworks that has a pdf booklet with some useful tips in it, and an MP3 file of firework noises to help desensitise dogs.
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog, who has sadly passed away now, did not like any loud bangs be it fireworks or a thunderstorms. What she used to do, was go and sit in the bath in my Mums ensuite as there were no windows, and I guess she felt safe. It only took the slightest bang for her to do that, or if she saw you blowing up a balloon.
    Our other dog before her didn't like fireworks too much either but as long as she could see you then she seemed ok, just a little on edge.
    I now have a cat and he is fine, but then he always cuddles up to us every night in front of the TV whatever, and I never let him out after dark anyway, as he seems to like having scraps with the local foxes, and the vet bills were getting a bit much. So he has his freedom during the day, and at night when fireworks are around his cat flap is locked.
    Round my way the fireworks have already started, seems to last for over a month, the locals seem to love them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our old dog who is 10 now is fine with them, as is our cat, but then we do live close to a firework factory which test runs fireworks year round. we took our dog for a walk on the field near our house a couple of weeks ago and the big hotel nearby suddenly started up a huge display we didnt know was going to be on. she immediately shot between me and my husband, but then took steps forward and actually stood watching the whole display with us with her tail wagging. i guess when she realized we were happy to be standing there watching, she wasnt afraid either. our cat is 3 now, and he doesnt care in the slightest about fireworks, i worry when hes out on bonfire night, and try to get him in, but he just sits in the garden looking at me like im mental :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in the sticks our dog has, since a pup, been used to shotgun noise so fireworks are not a problem.

It won't be a problem this year anyway, due to H&S rules our village isn't having a firework display.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with you on that one. And no, you are not being a killjoy at all.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im all for organised events
    What annoys me most is the ongoing bangs and flashes for months after bonfire night.

My two cents.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a collie who was born deaf so bonfire night never bothered her :) We made a huge mistake with our current two dogs and tried making a game out of the firework noises. Every time one went off, we'd run around the house like idiots with one of their toys to try and turn it into a fun event for them. The good thing is that they're not scared of them but we've had to pay a price for associating fireworks with fun as unfortunately they now turn hyperactive whenever they hear them and run around barking their heads off.