Which Apple?

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't yet ventured into the world of Apple but, as I am considering purchasing a tablet, I am leaning towards an Apple tablet. Looking at the multiple options, I cannot decide whether to go for one with retina display or without. Does anyone have one with retina display and, if so, what advantages does it offer in comparison to the ipad? I want it basically for instant internet access and listening to music. Thanks.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I haven't yet ventured into the world of Apple but, as I am considering purchasing a tablet, I am leaning towards an Apple tablet. Looking at the multiple options, I cannot decide whether to go for one with retina display or without. Does anyone have one with retina display and, if so, what advantages does it offer in comparison to the ipad? I want it basically for instant internet access and listening to music. Thanks.

The retina screen is just a higher resolution screen - if you want the clearest/sharpest screen then that is the one to go for.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    If you have your heart set on an iPad (and are therefore willing to sell your eternal soul to the Dark Lords of Apple :p) then I would say that the general rule with Apple tech would be to go for the most recent model that you can afford as it will be supported for the longest period.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were thinking of a Mini (and I must stress this is just my opinion not fact) I would say wait for the next version, the iPad Mini 2 or whatever the call it as it probably have retina and better spec ( the current Mini has iPad 2 specs). I just got the latest ipad (4) and love it. Have a play in store, use friends and see which is best for you.

PJ.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    The retina screen is just a higher resolution screen - if you want the clearest/sharpest screen then that is the one to go for.

The nexus 10 is higher res.
    Forum Member
    The nexus 10 is higher res.

You appear to be in the wrong thread - this is about iPads :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granny Smith.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're going to read a lot of content on the internet (longer articles etc), then you might find the Retina screen preferable. It is only available on the larger iPad models at the moment (and you'll need the 3rd or 4th gen iPad to get that).

If you're looking for portability, you might want to consider the iPad Mini.

Do you have a particular budget as this might also dictate what you can afford.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    others do have higher specs than ipad 4th gen for less money (well ipad2 money) ... depends what you want to do ... Asus the best ones imo
    Forum Member

OP suggested that she was leaning towards an iPad ....

its obviously our righteous duty to suggest other options that don't entail selling ones soul to the Apple Overlords :D

Nexus 7
    Nexus 10
    Asus Transformer

..... all very good, and in some cases very much cheaper, alternatives to the spawn of Apple.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    its obviously our righteous duty to suggest other options that don't entail selling ones soul to the Apple Overlords :D

selling your soul to Google isn't any better.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »

My soul is my own.

My phone is created by Samsung
    My tablets are both by Asus
    I have 2 Rikomagic MK802 units
    My wife has a Sony phone
    My son has an HTC
    My daughter has a Motorola

The only common feature is that all of the above use a Google OS.

Our house also has:

2 laptops
    1 desktop
    2 netbooks
    1 nettop

all of which run a Microsoft OS

We also possess (much to my displeasure)

1 iPod touch
    2 iPod Nano

Im not convinced im overly affiliated to any single brand based on the above summary am I ? :p

I may lean towards Android but I don't queue outside Googles stores nor would I hesitate to jump ship to MS if the Surface Pro starts selling at a more realistic price ;)

....... oh and my original comment did have a smiley next to it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My soul is my own.

My phone is created by Samsung
    My tablets are both by Asus
    I have 2 Rikomagic MK802 units
    My wife has a Sony phone
    My son has an HTC
    My daughter has a Motorola

The only common feature is that all of the above use a Google OS.

Our house also has:

2 laptops
    1 desktop
    2 netbooks
    1 nettop

all of which run a Microsoft OS

We also possess (much to my displeasure)

1 iPod touch
    2 iPod Nano

Im not convinced im overly affiliated to any single brand based on the above summary am I ? :p

I may lean towards Android but I don't queue outside Googles stores nor would I hesitate to jump ship to MS if the Surface Pro starts selling at a more realistic price ;)

....... oh and my original comment did have a smiley next to it :D

i wasn't advocating that one was better than the other.
    however you were the one that bought up the "selling souls" comment (smiley or not).

however i always find it amusing that the anti-apple brigade generally tend to be android users, and you've gotta wonder just what google intends to do with all that user data they get from you - of course we do all know, sell it to advertisers.

it's all about personal choice, really doesn't bother me what someone else is using or whether they think it's better than what i have.

nexus 4 is currently interesting me, but too hard to get a hold of at the moment (currently iphone user).
    Forum Member
    i wasn't advocating that one was better than the other.
    however you were the one that bought up the "selling souls" comment (smiley or not).

however i always find it amusing that the anti-apple brigade generally tend to be android users, and you've gotta wonder just what google intends to do with all that user data they get from you - of course we do all know, sell it to advertisers.

it's all about personal choice, really doesn't bother me what someone else is using or whether they think it's better than what i have.

nexus 4 is currently interesting me, but too hard to get a hold of at the moment (currently iphone user).

we actually agree. Im all for people looking at options and weighing up whats best for them. I will never state one model is better than another. Choice is whats great about todays tech.

My main bugbear is when people state that the new model is out therefore they have to have it.... even unseen or un-reviewed. Historically this has been Apple users but I will mention that Samsung Galaxy S users are heading down that same road (IMHO).

Looking at getting Nexus 4's for my kids for Christmas (as they are both due upgrades) but im not holding out much hope. :( I have the Galaxy Nexus and, personally, I think that raw Android is the way to go these days if you are heading into the Google world.

With regards to Google and data im not convinced it bothers me. Most of my data and emails are junk but if they can use that to make my web experience more tailored then 'bring it on' I say :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Historically this has been Apple users but I will mention that Samsung Galaxy S users are heading down that same road (IMHO).

i'd say that's more about Apple being good marketers than anything else. Apple certainly know how to build up hype and other's seem to miss that.

it's only now that Google, Microsoft, Samsung (to an extent) and all the rest are starting to catch on and do the same (with big product launch keynote events etc).
    Forum Member
    i'd say that's more about Apple being good marketers than anything else. Apple certainly know how to build up hype and other's seem to miss that.

it's only now that Google, Microsoft, Samsung (to an extent) and all the rest are starting to catch on and do the same (with big product launch keynote events etc).

Agreed. Apple have excelled at marketing their products over the last decade and have built up a very loyal fanbase by doing so.

You have to hope that sloppiness such as Apple maps doesn't start to dent their customer 'trust' though. Much as I wouldn't buy an Apple product myself im very aware that the market needs multiple options to maintain competition and drive innovation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to hope that sloppiness such as Apple maps doesn't start to dent their customer 'trust' though. Much as I wouldn't buy an Apple product myself im very aware that the market needs multiple options to maintain competition and drive innovation.

i think the maps issue is not a great "red flag" as some would suggest. there are a few very LOUD shouters, but i wonder just how many of the total user base really care that much (or have even noticed).

for me, the apple maps have actually been an improvement. for my area, google maps was actually quite poor and their satellite imagery was at least 10 years out of date.
    apple's maps in my area are much better and satellite is around 2 years old.

the apple maps satnav has been spot on for me when i've used it (and compared it to copilot live).
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until now when I am contemplating seriously getting a tablet, I have not even considered Apple due mainly to the fact that, no sooner has a new model been released, and one has spent one's hard earn cash on it, Apple are bringing out the next generation model. I have always been of the opinion that Apple are, understandably, out to make as big a profit as they can - I think the word 'overlord' describes them perfectly! - and are more concerned with being market leaders. I had a play with an ipad with retina display in currys today, and I was uber impressed with it. I didn't initially intend to buy a premium tablet, as I will be using my laptop a lot more, and could not justify spending big on one. But I do believe that one gets what one pays for and, in this instance, Apple seems to win hands down. Still haven't decided yet, though.:confused:
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until now when I am contemplating seriously getting a tablet, I have not even considered Apple due mainly to the fact that, no sooner has a new model been released, and one has spent one's hard earn cash on it, Apple are bringing out the next generation model. I have always been of the opinion that Apple are, understandably, out to make as big a profit as they can - I think the word 'overlord' describes them perfectly! - and are more concerned with being market leaders. I had a play with an ipad with retina display in currys today, and I was uber impressed with it. I didn't initially intend to buy a premium tablet, as I will be using my laptop a lot more, and could not justify spending big on one. But I do believe that one gets what one pays for and, in this instance, Apple seems to win hands down. Still haven't decided yet, though.:confused:

If you want something with a really good screen, but you don't want to spend a lot, then consider the Nexus 7 from Google.

To be honest, web browsing and listening to music, which is what you described as likely uses, can be done on almost every tablet out there. Google now also has a music store you can buy songs from, if you want to.

Personally I choose mostly Apple products because I've got 2 or 3 different ones, as does my other half, and it allows us to easily share content, but there are other very good options which are cheaper if price is an issue for you.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Previous iPads were released one year apart, it's only the 4th generation iPad that has broken the "traditional" annual product schedule (the assumption being that it was to shift the release from the spring to the more lucrative "Fall"/"Holiday" season). Annual updates are not something unique to Apple.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is slightly. :p
    Forum Member
    I have always been of the opinion that Apple are, understandably, out to make as big a profit as they can

Think you will find every company is :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a stupid comment.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid comment.

So are the comments suggesting the same about Apple. I don't see you singling them out though. Can't say I'm surprised:rolleyes:.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If you have your heart set on an iPad (and are therefore willing to sell your eternal soul to the Dark Lords of Apple :p) then I would say that the general rule with Apple tech would be to go for the most recent model that you can afford as it will be supported for the longest period.

I did that when I bought my Macbook Pro two years ago. I've been a member of the Cult of Mac ever since :p I don't go around in black turtlenecks 24/7 and pray towards Cupertino every night but I do bash M$ and Windows every day. I go to the Apple Store often to renew my commitment to the Cult of Mac, but I haven't been since August :o Should I be wearing a black turtleneck?
    Forum Member
    I did that when I bought my Macbook Pro two years ago. I've been a member of the Cult of Mac ever since :p I don't go around in black turtlenecks 24/7 and pray towards Cupertino every night but I do bash M$ and Windows every day. I go to the Apple Store often to renew my commitment to the Cult of Mac, but I haven't been since August :o Should I be wearing a black turtleneck?

does that make you a lapsed Appler ? :p

there may be hope for you yet :D