The mystery surrounding Clara Oswin Oswald. Who is she?

Comments

• FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but why is it so difficult to believe that Clara is actually a new character and not connected to a past one?

She can't be a female version of Jack because last time I check, Time Agents are not Time Lords.

She's not THAT Jenny because we've already seen her flirting/kissing with the Doctor and will do so again in 7B.

She's not River because last time I checked there's more to the show than just one character and we've seen all of River's incarnations.

And she's not the Doctor because the character is male and will remain so, regardless of what some think.

Basically, she's someone new.

People who say they don't mean to be rude, usually know they are being rude, so why don't they just not be rude.

It's fun to speculate. Personally, I think the idea that Clara is someone new is boring and I'd love her to be linked to the Doctor in some way. Your opinion is the Doctor will never be female. I hope you are right, but I think you are wrong, and if the Doctor is to be female JLC would do for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or River's or Charlotte.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone out there can come up with a half decent reason to explain how she can be a timelord or previous character but not regenerate, die twice and then reappear somewhere else with no memory of her previous lives, though they share similarities, then I may be inclined to believe that she's River or whatever but otherwise...
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    People who say they don't mean to be rude, usually know they are being rude, so why don't they just not be rude.

It's fun to speculate. Personally, I think the idea that Clara is someone new is boring and I'd love her to be linked to the Doctor in some way.

You have to be trolling with that comment.

New, innovative ideas are boring? Please.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I'm just a bit jaded by this kind of thing from the Moff to get too excited. It's like a magic trick, when you eventually know the answer it spoils it.

We've had, "that's the Doctor and he really is dead" which turned out to be a complete lie at the end and we had " the doctor will rise higher than he has ever risen and the fall further" which happened in 14 minutes with absolutely no drama and with the Doctor having risen again 10 minutes later.

This whole Clara thing will be a similar non event.

NB I am also a bit tired of the companion is something special schtick - Rose absorbed the Tardis and is Bad Wolf-- Donna is half time-lord, Amy regenerates the whole of creation.

I miss the Sarah Jane type companion who represents the viewer.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    FATCHOPS wrote: »

It's fun to speculate. Personally, I think the idea that Clara is someone new is boring and I'd love her to be linked to the Doctor in some way. Your opinion is the Doctor will never be female. I hope you are right, but I think you are wrong, and if the Doctor is to be female JLC would do for me.

Speculating is fun but some of it does get a bit silly.

I want Clara to be new. For me, that is more interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I think its got something to do with the cracks in time. When the TARDIS exploded, someone or something sent her through the cracks, and thats how she exists in different times. This would make the idea of Clara being the TARDIS possible, but I don't think that'll be the case. But the idea of this would mean that the voice that says "Silence will fall" in TBB would probably be the person behind Clara.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new person each time played by the same actress.:)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    A new person each time played by the same actress.:)

:D you could be onto something there.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    andy741 wrote: »
    I think its got something to do with the cracks in time. When the TARDIS exploded, someone or something sent her through the cracks, and thats how she exists in different times. This would make the idea of Clara being the TARDIS possible, but I don't think that'll be the case. But the idea of this would mean that the voice that says "Silence will fall" in TBB would probably be the person behind Clara.

FWIW, I do like this theory. The idea that Clara has something to do with the TARDIS intrigues, especially as she always takes him to where he needs to be. The TARDIS knows something. Maybe Clara is a fragment of the TARDIS lost in the Big Bang and universe reboot? It helps explain Clara's attraction to the Doctor, evident even in the new prologue, her high intelligence, her facility with computers and the "scattered through time but still linked" aspect too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm just a bit jaded by this kind of thing from the Moff to get too excited. It's like a magic trick, when you eventually know the answer it spoils it.

We've had, "that's the Doctor and he really is dead" which turned out to be a complete lie at the end and we had " the doctor will rise higher than he has ever risen and the fall further" which happened in 14 minutes with absolutely no drama and with the Doctor having risen again 10 minutes later.

This whole Clara thing will be a similar non event.

NB I am also a bit tired of the companion is something special schtick - Rose absorbed the Tardis and is Bad Wolf-- Donna is half time-lord, Amy regenerates the whole of creation.

I agree about the Donna thing, really a bit annoying but I liked the Rose thing and Amy didn't regenerate the whole of creation, the Doctor did that and then she remembered the Doctor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the Donna thing, really a bit annoying but I liked the Rose thing and Amy didn't regenerate the whole of creation, the Doctor did that and then she remembered the Doctor.

Though to be clear I feel the Donna story to be the best of the lot..it was heart-breaking to see her journey from end to end ..at the same time it was epic story telling. The fact that there is some harridan out there who doesn't know she saved at least one world is fabulous. I have half a wish that they could resolved this one day although I might feel a bit cheated. I still feel great sorrow over Donna, and I started off disliking her immensely!!

Rose however , as the Doctors chav love interest , can burn in hell !! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though to be clear I feel the Donna story to be the best of the lot..it was heart-breaking to see her journey from end to end ..at the same time it was epic story telling. The fact that there is some harridan out there who doesn't know she saved at least one world is fabulous. I have half a wish that they could resolved this one day although I might feel a bit cheated. I still feel great sorrow over Donna, and I started off disliking her immensely!!

Rose however , as the Doctors chav love interest , can burn in hell !! :)

Aha thread's getting a bit off topic now but yeah I felt really bad for both of them and both their stories for me were really well told initially. Bringing them both back was a mistake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing some people comparing Tom and Matt, I was thinking about some possible similarities between some Tom Baker stories and Matt Smith stories. I started joining some dots ( and probably ended up with the wrong idea, but...)

The Tom Baker Arc in Space stories, and all that season, all sort of linked in to each other. (very timey-wimey),
    The earth was evacuated due to solar radiation and humans later had to go back and repopulate the earth.

We've already seen some references recently, the Rebel Flesh 2 parter, I think seemed to be set as humans had started to go back to earth, but the solar radiation hadn't quite died off completely in some areas.

So- set around the same events and time as some of the Tom Baker stuff.

I hope I'm not mis-under-un-remembering things here but I think there could be more links in there and something yet to come.

Anyone else think this might not be 100% lunacy?
    Forum Member
    andy741 wrote: »

I can see the logic behind this theory but I'm not sure.

It's better than the usual ones being bandied about though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the logic behind this theory but I'm not sure.

It's better than the usual ones being bandied about though.

I take it you don't think she's the Rani then? :D
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    You have to be trolling with that comment.

New, innovative ideas are boring? Please.

I find your post insulting. I love things that reference the history of the show. I love that there may have been breadcrumbs left for us to follow. I loved the Bad Wolf stuff and the Saxon stuff. That's me and my opinion.
    Forum Member
    I take it you don't think she's the Rani then? :D

No but even that's preferable to the ones who were insisting she was Eleven/River's kid or another version of River though.

I just think Clara is someone new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I just think Clara is someone new.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Clara is not a previous character. Possibly in a Moffat interview.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Precisely and even then River was a new character...the fact she turned out to be Amy and Rorys SPOILERS daughter doesn't change that fact. She wasn't Romana. She wasn't Susan. She wasn't Adrics long lost sister. As I said before the only time in New Who a character has turned out to be an old face returning was Prof Yana and even then he was only in two thirds of an episode and the set up made sense.
    It was positively foreshadowed, the means and justification were a major plot point in an earlier story, and therefore the reveal was well-earned.

Even River's reveal wasn't unheralded. Right from her first appearance, her history was a carefully guarded secret. They made a huge point of how her history was entangled with the Doctor's, but that she couldn't tell him why.

So the reveal was just filling in parts of an existing mystery, not unexpectedly turning one character into another.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    In which case, you've never really enjoyed magic.
    It's not like anyone thinks that the woman really has been cut in half, the artistry is in what lengths you go to to convince people of the lie. And that artistry is entertaining in itself.

And yet, the very point is that people become amazing because of the Doctor. It's not like Rose would have absorbed the heart of the TARDIS in her life otherwise. It's not like Martha would have organised an underground revolution without the experiences they had. That was just the lengths they would go to to save their friend.

The days of the companion just being someone that followed the Doctor around getting captured and asking the Doctor for convenient exposition are over. Now we have characters that start out like you or me, but become something amazing because of their adventures. Long may that continue.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It's not like anyone thinks that the woman really has been cut in half, the artistry is in what lengths you go to to convince people of the lie. And that artistry is entertaining in itself.

And yet, the very point is that people become amazing because of the Doctor. It's not like Rose would have absorbed the heart of the TARDIS in her life otherwise. It's not like Martha would have organised an underground revolution without the experiences they had. That was just the lengths they would go to to save their friend.

The days of the companion just being someone that followed the Doctor around getting captured and asking the Doctor for convenient exposition are over. Now we have characters that start out like you or me, but become something amazing because of their adventures. Long may that continue.

Or, as with the last few, are already something quite peculiar already and a project for the Doctor to "solve". Which may become tiresome if repeated too often.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah so there is nothing a bit boring about seeing what amazing transformation the companion this season goes through. Nothing just a tad predictable about all that ?

Each to their own though..I just like a bit of variety.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Clara IS just a normal person in the beginning- but she gets 'interfered with' ( stop sniggering at the back). She looked pretty normal on the swings. She just could be the person who gets caught up in the evil events of some baddie?